Why the Bersa Negativity?

Discussion in 'General Bersa Discussion' started by TxShooter, Oct 1, 2012.

1. TxShooter

TxShooter Active Member

I've noticed it with Hi-Point as well, which I've found to be a reliable and well made firearm. Lots of people made snide remarks, why do you feel that is?

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

My 2 cents...

Usually because they have never owned or shot one...and then they mimic what they hear others say...without any experience to form an opinion of their own.

:cool:

3. havasu

havasu Administrator

Just as Glock being labeled as "the plastic gun"

4. snakedog

snakedog Urban Spaceman

It's made in a South American country. That, and if it cost more. Guns from western Europe and the US are perceived as top shelf, not so guns from elsewhere.

edit - Hi-Point. Yeah. American. Ugly. Sometimes I forget about those lesser guns from the 1st World. ;)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  5. OhioBountyHunter

OhioBountyHunter Member

I own a Hi Point 995 carbine. It is ok to mess around. It's very unreliable. I have shot several Hi point handguns in several calibers and none of them were good for much more than a boat anchor. Back to the original topic. My Bersa Thunder 380 is VERY reliable AND accurate!

6. BT380

BT380 Well-Known Member

It's mostly due to gun snobbery, seems some folks think that if it does not cost a small fortune that it's no good. I let them thing that way, cause it keeps the price down and I can afford more than one. :D

7. BurgerBoy

BurgerBoy Well-Known Member

Some folks just ain't got good sense.

8. opaww

opaww Banned

Some people are just stuck on one thing and can never know anything else is good or bad because if their tunnel vision views.

9. stanger1944

stanger1944 Well-Known Member

Well I go back to another area and that is fishing equipment. Once upon a time Daiwa reels were the cheapest Wally world special you could get. People probably said oh Daiwa stinks but some people used them and they were great reels then word got out prices increased and now there are Daiwa reels in excess of $1000 a piece. So how about we keep these Bersa and Hi point pistols our little secret eh!

10. bhale187

bhale187 Well-Known Member Supporter

It comes with the territory of being an inexpensive firearm, some folks refuse to believe that anything can be good if it isn't expensive. You get the same thing with Keltec too.

11. franco45

franco45 Member

Like Ohiobountyhunter I too own a Hi Point 995 carbine. The difference is that mine, and my nephews for that matter, have been 100%. I have been seeing quite a few good reviews for Bersa firearms over the last few years. I have owned 3 Thunder 380s nd a Firestorm 22. All have been great guns.

12. OhioBountyHunter

OhioBountyHunter Member

FWIW my 995 is an early one. I don't know it that matters. I can't get through a mag without at least one FTF. I like it and if I could get it to feed right I would shoot it all the time.

13. Big Bersa

Big Bersa Member

Ive seen hi points at gun shows. Are you serious? They look atrocious. Big and clunky. Ugly. I wouldn't own one period. I'd rather carry a bow and arrows.

14. hobbles

hobbles Junior Member

I own a C-9, yes it's heavy and it's not built to field strip, but it fires every time I want it to and it has one of the best warranty's out there, and it's not for the first owner, it's for the weapon, forever. For $150 I think it's a darn good weapon.
    Plus their costumer service it very friendly, heck, I talked to tom (owner) for 20 minuets on the phone about what he uses in his reloads.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  15. SoldiernurseNoMo

SoldiernurseNoMo Active Member

+1
    The light trigger pull, slim, 8+1 capacity, and very reasonably priced NIB is why I wanted the BP9cc. Actually, had never heard of Bersa until reading a favorable magazine article on the BP9.

I hope "Bersa" can continue under the radar.

16. SHOOTER13

Welcome to the Bersa Forum SoldiernurseNoMo !!

Could you guys post pics of these Hi-Points you're talking about...thanks !

17. SHOOTER13

Welcome to the Bersa Forum franco45 !!

18. blazinbrazer

blazinbrazer Well-Known Member

not sure if you've checked it out yet but here is a great place to get advice from experianced owners who are more than happy to help fellow shooters and hi-point owners http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/

19. squeak_D

squeak_D Member

If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone knock a Bersa (or Hi-Point) that later to find they never shot or even handled one...., my wife and I would be living it up, and my kids college education will already be taken care of.

So much of the negativity out there stems from something that someone heard from the friend of a cousin, who dated a guy they once knew, who's uncle (twice removed) said they were junk :)

I personally will never knock any firearm I haven't handled and shot myself. I've owned several Hi-Points and everyone one of those were darn reliable. Heavy and ugly, but very reliable.

I've had no issues with my Thunder 380 either.

20. SoldiernurseNoMo

SoldiernurseNoMo Active Member

Thanks Shooter13!