Why open carry?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by David, Apr 13, 2013.

1. David

David Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm not against open carry. I don't tell people to not open carry. Anything like that, but I got to wondering.... what is the reason for open carrying? What advantage does it have over concealed carry? Is it just because one WANTS his gun to be seen? Educate me here.

2. Stratojaxter

Stratojaxter Well-Known Member

Open carry has the advantage of being more comfortable, and allows for quicker access. It's also a better deterrent than a concealed gun. People always point out that a person open carrying will be the first one shot, but there's no evidence of it ever being the case. If that were true, cops wouldn't open carry or wear uniforms. Most criminals don't want anyone shot, especially themselves. That's why they avoid places with armed people. With that said, open carry also tends to make the sheeple nervous. It can create the opportunity to educate people if you want to. I've only had one person ask me about it though. She asked if I had a permit to carry a gun, so I said, "yes ma'am, since 1791". Some others have had run ins with police because someone made a man with a gun call. As long as it's legal where you live, it's usually a quick conversation and you go about your day, but it's still a hassle most don't want to deal with.

(Sent from Mobile app, so please forgive any typos - I'm old with fat fingers)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013

3. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I think it makes you a target. If someone is going to do harm they will be looking for those that can stop them, and the guy with a pistol on his hip would be a good place to start to nullify threats before doing evil.

4. Stratojaxter

Many people think that, Austin, but can you point to a case where it has happened? Can it happen? Sure it could. However, most crimes are to gain something, not hurt someone. Criminals generally want stuff and would rather threaten unarmed people and leave safely with money and/or valuables, or steal them when nobody is around. It's the same reason we put the ADT sign in the yard, and have a blinking alarm light on the dash. Do you train your dogs to hide and not bark when an intruder comes? No, of course not. Barking dogs are a proven deterrent. If, however, someone is determined to harm people, they might look for someone with a gun to take out first, but historically, they are just seek out gun-free zones and shoot up defenseless people. If they had guts, they'd man up and earn a living the right way.

5. Shooter

I would have to find it.

So in your opinion any show of authority or force is a deterrent to criminals?

6. Stratojaxter

Not always, as some criminals are just too determined, stupid, or stoned to be intimidated, but yes, in many cases if the show of force is enough to be, or at least appears to be, a threat to the criminal, they will back off. It's difficult to prove how many criminals backed off because they saw a person with a weapon since a crime didn't occur. However, here is one story from a few years ago.
    http://www.examiner.com/article/open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-kennesaw

I personally stopped a robbery attempt with a bagel knife. I was 18, a few months before I left for bootcamp, when a guy walks into a convenience store where I was working. He said h had a gun and told me to open the register. I had my back turned and was cutting bagels with this 8 or 10 inch bread knife. When I turned around, he saw the knife and took off. I didn't even need to threaten him.

Apparently, even a pissed off unarmed woman can be enough too
    http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/pizza-shop-owner-scares-would-be-robber-refusal-fi/nW8QL/

7. Shooter

Interesting. I will rethink my position and get back to you.

8. Coldheartt

Coldheartt New Member

"why open carry?" Being a Marine Corps Infantryman, I am well trained in firearms and better than most civilians at "threat assessment" of my environment, as others have stated, I've heard the argument about an open carry individual being targeted first and I dont buy into it either, but IF I found myself in that type of situation, I would rather the threat be directed towards me than an unsuspecting, unprepared unarmed person. It may be ego on my part, but I believe I would have a better "survivability" chance than others would.
    I practice with my carry weapons, as does everyone else in my family. Living in Arizona (a Constitutional carry state) we have the option of open or concealed carry without permits and the only time I have ever been approached by Law Enforcement was so they could ask for insight into my carry weapon (besides, if the focus is on me and my open carry S&W M&P compact .40, my wife drawing her Bersa Thunder .380 will be a fairly great shock to any individual looking to do us harm!)

9. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I agree that generally open carry affords quicker access to the firearm, but that is easily overcome by planning.

I strongly disagree that open carry is more comfortable. My most comfortable holsters are all IWB. They also have the advantage of not snagging or bumping on objects.

As far as open carriers being targeted ? Of course it happens, just recently an open carriers was relieved of his Walther. I do however believe that the average thief will look for what is perceived as an easy target.

I carry both ways, whatever suits me at the time.

I do, however disagree with those who flaunting open carry ( the in your face types) to prove a point. I think they do more harm than good to the open carry folks.