While so many people are hoarding ammo, how much do we really need???

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by PatrickinGa, Mar 7, 2013.

1. PatrickinGa

PatrickinGa Member

I wonder how many people are buying a LOT more ammo than they actually need.

I understand stocking enough to be able to go to the range, skeet, trap, hunting, plinking, etc.

And for me .22lr is still reasonable when I can find it, $0.05 - $0.10 cents a shell. Last box of Remington Gold 225 count cost me $11.00.

And for range, like 9mm for me, most 9mm's semi-automatics will eat just about anything. And I chose 9mm guns to use and carry because they cost less than other shells.

But for home defense we all probably all have some more expensive ammo, for me it is Hornady.

But how many shells do we really need for defensive purposes? I am in my 60's and so far, knock on wood, have never had the need to pull or use a gun to defend anything or anyone..

And I wonder how many shells I will need for HD in my lifetime?

For any scenario I can imagine other than a war, revolution, some kind of Military confrontation I doubt I would ever need one magazine, much less one box.

And if I were put up against LE or some illegal military force, I would think that all I had, no matter how much that was, would not be enough, and I would be outgunned for sure.

So, talking reasonably, what do we do as firearms enthusiasts really need?

Just wondering...

Thanks for any comments or questions.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  2. hotshott

hotshott The "Bass-Tard" Son

I purchase Winchester law enforcement for HD use. It works well in all of my weapons. Remington 22lr and 22 mag. And I use Winchester xx in my shotgun. I have recently purchased a used turret press and will begin to reload my own. I have not reloaded for 20 years but looking forward to it. All in all I believe everyone has there own preference. Over a 4 month period I have collected at least 1000 rounds per piece. It takes less time to shoot them than it does to buy.

3. GoodOyster

GoodOyster Well-Known Member

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    - George Washington

4. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc Active Member

minimum 1,000 rounds of all my calibers... probably more:cool:

5. hotshott

hotshott The "Bass-Tard" Son

Up until about 10 months ago, I have not shot often enough to think about it. Then Obama got voted back into office and people are demanding gun control. I whole heartedly beleive that another gun ban will not happen. I have been a member of the NRA for 35 years. I have seen my yearly dues increase 10 fold. They are a huge corporation with a whole lot of money and will do whatever is necesary to prevent a gun ban from happening. As for ammo,,, Hopefuly the craziness will subside and get back to some kind of normal. Give Gat Guns a try for ammo. His web site says out of stock, But every time I walk in the door ammo is plentiful.

6. thunder

thunder Well-Known Member

7. Cutlass327

Cutlass327 Well-Known Member

I figure get as much as you can now, because even if there is no ban, the price will do nothing but rise. Get it now while it is cheap. I know I plan to continue shooting as a sport and carry as defense all my life, so I will use many thousands of rounds in my lifetime. Might as well get it now while it is cheaper....

8. PatrickinGa

PatrickinGa Member

I am not sure that there are enough uncorrupted, honest, nongreedy politicians left in Washington to fix this mess before he does even more damage and systematically dismantles this Country.

9. BersaOwner

BersaOwner Well-Known Member

Figure out how much you use in one year.
    Then multiply that by 2 or 2.5.
    Or 1000rds per rifle 500rds per pistol.
    In some of my rifles I can easily go through 1000rds plus per year that is why I multiply that by 2 or 2.5.
    Even if you only have a home defense weapon you still need to practice with it to stay proficient with the operation of your weapon & practice takes ammo.
    Keeping this much ammo has helped me get over the last two ammo panic runs without having to make a panic buy for ammo.;)

10. David

David Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

In my opinion, its always a good idea to have a large stock of ammo, caliber dependent, and keep it rotating. And keep it large.

I do this with my prescriptions, but can't yet afford to do this with my ammo.

11. 9UC

9UC Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Primary pistol, 1000 to 1500 rounds
    Primary Rifle, 1500 to 2000

Secondary anything, 500 to 1000 unless it's just a safe queen.

12. David

David Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I like this idea. Very ideal. I'd add 500 rounds of 12 gauge.

The Primary Rifle would be a problem for me, though. My primary rifle is a .270. That can get extremely expensive.