Which Gun Lubes / Oils do you use...

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by SHOOTER13, Oct 24, 2012.

1. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

2. David

David Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Breakfree, but I'm not too happy with the way its been working. It hasn't been keeping rust off my long guns, but seems to work on my handguns.

3. SHOOTER13

How do you store your long guns...?

4. bhale187

bhale187 Well-Known Member Supporter

I used zero friction for years, great stuff. Recently I started using gun butter and like it alot. Now I have a ton of people telling me Froglube is the best of the best; have to give it a shot.

For storage wipe downs I use Rusty's Rags, great product.
    http://www.rustysrags.com/

5. David

They are stored in a long display case, wooden with glass front. That's what the picture was when I posted pictures of my Bersa handguns.

As for the handguns, all I have is Bersa. I don't see any reason to get any other brand, so I'm very likely gonna stick with Bersa. They aren't stored in the gun case; they are "stored" ready for defensive scenarios.

6. SHOOTER13

Have you tried a dessicant or de-humidifier system in that display case...?

7. David

Nope. They only thing I've tried is a half-opened box of baking soda. Just don't have the money to spend on a de-humidifier, but obviously its necessary. I just don't like taking away from my Bersa budget. Can never have too many Bersas.

8. tigwelder56

tigwelder56 Oathkeeper...

I believe the best all around product is "Eezox". It is a fabulous product that I have used for years. It has so many benefits it would be hard to list them all. One great item is once it dries it prevents fingerprinting! Check it out, www.eezox.com

9. Bear

Bear Member

10. hobbles

hobbles Junior Member

I've been havin good luck with WD-40, with the long nozzle on it. I can spray both parts of my weapon and wash out all the black from everywhere. Then I use my air compressure to blow it out till I see no black comin out. I still use gun oil it the barrel tho. I've been told that WD-40 leaves a flim on the weapon. I hope so, that why I used to use gun oil.

11. SHOOTER13

WD-40 literally stands for Water Displacement, 40th formula. That's the name straight out of the lab book

used by the chemist who developed the product back in 1953. The chemist, Norm Larsen,

was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion—a task which is done by displacing water.

Some say it's not good for firearms because if left on too long, the solution can become like a varnish or

lacquer which fouls up the works. I've used it on firearms will no ill effect, mainly because I use it as a cheap

alternative to Gun Scrubber...blasting out the crud of a shooting session at the range and wiping down the firearm

until I can get home and field strip the weapon to properly clean and oil it with other products. So, in my case, it does

what I intend, and doesn't stay on the firearm for long.

12. hobbles

hobbles Junior Member

WD-40 is also safer to use to start an engine then starter fluid is, being gas or diesel. A friend of mine was a safeway machnic and came unglued when one of there drivers or me tried to use starter fluid to start our cold big rigs. He says it's way to hot to use. WD-40 does start a cold big rig or lawn mower or car.

13. BT380

BT380 Well-Known Member

Transmission fluid on my AR's, SKS & AK's on the inside, CLP Breakfree on the outside and sometimes Rem Oil. Never use WD40 on any of my guns, used to deer hunt with a guy for years that before every hunt he would spray his 1100 shotgun down with it. After several years it took the blue off the receiver and barrel as that was all he ever put on it. So better safe that sorry.

14. bhale187

bhale187 Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah, my grandpa always used WD40 and all of this shotguns had the blue wiped away from years of using it.

15. zekest

zekest Active Member

I was just reading about this. Some gunsmiths who use a lot of gun lube over the course of a year use transmission fluid instead of something like expensive CLP Break Free. If you don't think that Break Free CLP is expensive, calculate the cost of one gallon of it...:eek:

16. SHOOTER13

I've seen a $80 price tag on a gallon of Breakfree CLP at a gun show...

I passed...

17. tigwelder56

tigwelder56 Oathkeeper...

I mentioned earlier that I'm a believer in Eezox and have been for years but I want to introduce you to something I'm going to test. The product is called "Weapon Shield" and shows real promise. A simple test you can do at home is what I call the "Nail" test. Get a short piece of 2X4 or similar and using a large non galvanized nail, treat it with your lube, pound into the wood, label it and set it outside and simply watch how long it takes to start oxidizing. If you really want to get creative, spray it every few days with a salt water solution. You'll be surprised at how well and how poorly some products work. I need to pick up some more nails and do some testing! As for Weapon Shield, you can see it here: http://www.weaponshield.com/page2.htm

Tig