Bersa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WINTER:
Taurus 709 Slim in 9mm as zombies have been seen wearing the thick heavily padded Korean War Chi Com coats.

SUMMER:
Bersa Thunder .380 because the zombies are wearing tank tops.
Plus it's easy to conceal in summer wear.

·
NRA Life Member
379 Posts
I carry AIWB.

Winter - Sig P365 outside, Glock G42 inside house.
Summer - Sig P365 outside, Glock G42 inside house.

If I have a day at the range when one of these EDCs experience a couple failures I switch to wheel guns for awhile -
Taurus 856 38 Special outside, S&W 32 H&R Magnum inside house. Both these are 6 round revolvers.

Reactions: ThunderStorm

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I have a day at the range when one of these EDCs experience a couple failures I switch to wheel guns for awhile -
If my EDC experiences a failure at the range and it's not due to a faulty magazine
then I'll find something else to carry.

Usually if there's a FTF or FTE it's the magazine. I number all my mags and if one does a repeat failure
then it goes into the "goodbye box". Those bad mags are usually aftermarket mags and not OEM.
With my Bersa Thunder .380 I buy extra mags from Bersa. Maybe it cost more but I know they'll work.

I like revolvers. Have a Rossi 85 in .38 that's been in the safe for a couple of years.
Decided to take it to the range last week. Googled the Rossi out of curiosity
and low-and-behold The Rifleman website said they were recalled in 2018
due to a problem with the gun firing when dropped. Filled out the online return form for return.

Would like to buy a Taurus 66 .357 stainless. Searched everywhere and none available now.
Occasionally one will turn up on GunBroker but the low-life gouging sellers want $200+ more than they're worth.

·
NRA Life Member
379 Posts
If my EDC experiences a failure at the range and it's not due to a faulty magazine
then I'll find something else to carry.

Usually if there's a FTF or FTE it's the magazine. I number all my mags and if one does a repeat failure
then it goes into the "goodbye box". Those bad mags are usually aftermarket mags and not OEM.
With my Bersa Thunder .380 I buy extra mags from Bersa. Maybe it cost more but I know they'll work.

I like revolvers. Have a Rossi 85 in .38 that's been in the safe for a couple of years.
Decided to take it to the range last week. Googled the Rossi out of curiosity
and low-and-behold The Rifleman website said they were recalled in 2018
due to a problem with the gun firing when dropped. Filled out the online return form for return.

Would like to buy a Taurus 66 .357 stainless. Searched everywhere and none available now.
Occasionally one will turn up on GunBroker but the low-life gouging sellers want $200+ more than they're worth.
My failures are mostly FTFs with some lesser amount of FTEs. But there is another cause, other than mags, in my case and that’s operator error. I had to put northwards of 1,000 rounds through my Glock 42 before it was 99% reliable and I’m confident that a lot of the failures occurred when I wqsn’t concentrating and I shot with a loose grip on the gun.

My most frustrating gun is a Walther PPK/s in 380. During breakin I was getting a failure to return to battery or two with every mag. I polished the feed ramp and the face of the extractor, extra firm grip, tried Tetra gun grease on the rails, just oil on the rails and dry -no lube. BTW the gun was cleaned every time I shot it. At 500 rounds I finally sent it back to Walther and they honed the cylinder which I didn’t think was necessary because the gun passed the plunk test when brand new. The gun was a little better after they returned it (5-10 FRTB in 100 rounds) but not good enough to rely on for protection.

The next step is - I’m going to take it to a local gunsmith when he has time to work on it. Most times when I have a gun like this I trade it in or sell it at a gun show, but this gun was a present from my wife. Either it’s going to work right or it’s going to become a safe Queen.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The gun was a little better after they returned it (5-10 FRTB in 100 rounds) but not good enough to rely on for protection.
I agree. If a gun has FTF, FTE or any other problem and it's not the ammo or mag
I will not carry it if I need it during a threat. That was the case with my Springfield Compact Range Officer.
Paid a lot more than I wanted to for that piece of crap. FTF, FTE and other problems.
Sent back to Springfield twice. They said it works fine. BS!
Traded it for a CZ 75B. On the trade-in they only gave me $200 that ticked me off
but if it doesn't work it's not even worth 25 cents.

Most times when I have a gun like this I trade it in or sell it at a gun show, but this gun was a present from my wife. Either it’s going to work right or it’s going to become a safe Queen.
I think your wife would understand if you trade or sell it. If you are not going to use it
it's wasting space in your safe.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
450 Posts
I pocket carry. I've got several in my rotation that depend on what pocket I'm wearing.

Snubbies can go year round in all my pockets. I carry either: Taurus 856 Ultralight, S&W 442, or a Taurus 605 depending on my whim that day. I shoot all 3 of them about the same, so it really is just a "what do I feel like" type thing.

I'll also carry my Ruger LCP when I don't feel like carrying a revolver, or I want something a bit smaller/slimmer due to an activity or location. The LCP doesn't quite fill my pocket like the revolvers.

Lastly, I'll carry my Beretta BU9 Nano. This is a gun I've worked a lot with. I like it a lot, but it only gets carried in the summer due to pocket sizes between cargo shorts and my jeans.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I pocket carry. I've got several in my rotation that depend on what pocket I'm wearing.
I prefer pocket carry for the BT 380 and Taurus 85 in the summer.
Especially back pocket as it is the most comfortable and very concealable.
Easy to draw especially if a zombie says, "Give me your wallet!"
"No problem! Here you go!"

Winter it's the Taurus 709 Slim in a Fobus paddle holster. Light and comfortable.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I prefer pocket carry for the BT 380 and Taurus 85 in the summer.
Especially back pocket as it is the most comfortable and very concealable.
Easy to draw especially if a zombie says, "Give me your wallet!"
"No problem! Here you go!"

Winter it's the Taurus 709 Slim in a Fobus paddle holster. Light and comfortable.
What pocket holster do you use for the BT380?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Winter I carry a Bersa Thunder 380 and in summer I carry a Kimber Micro 9. Both IWB in a Versacarry Zerobulk Pro.
Although I just might stick with Kimber Micro 9 all year around. I haven't carried the BT380 since I got it. It might become a coat pocket gun for backup during the winter.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Here in central FL I wear Levis all year round with an untucked shirt. Did you know that the Bersa line of .380s fits snugly into the watch pocket of Levis. Probably other small pistols too but Bersa is all I got.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What pocket holster do you use for the BT380?
I carry fully loaded, one in the chamber, safety on and hammer de-cocked.
The BT is double action so no problem as it's just a matter of moving the safety to "fire".

In the summer it's hard to conceal due to the light clothes etc.
I don't like appendix or iwb carry.
Uncomfortable for me plus I'm not buying pants with a bigger waist.
In the winter it's no problem concealing with a belt slide holster.
But in the summer, for me at least, inside the back pocket works
as it's easier to conceal and draw.

Things to keep in mind are: are you going to carry in a front or back pocket
as not all pant's pockets are created equal. Some are wider or deeper than others.

So to answer your question on which holster..........
I have been using an Uncle Mike's #2 pocket carry holster.
It works but I've just never been overly satisfied with that holster.
I ordered the ComfortTac Ultimate Pocket Holster for $12.97 on Amazon.
I'll give a review after it arrives.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The Uncle Mike's and other cloth holsters don't work well for me. They feel like I've got a sock in my pocket. I generally use a kydex holster for pocket carry but I've never found one I like for the BT380.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Uncle Mike's and other cloth holsters don't work well for me. They feel like I've got a sock in my pocket. I generally use a kydex holster for pocket carry but I've never found one I like for the BT380.
You might be better off just putting the gun in your pocket.
Get a piece of plastic or vinyl, i.e. like a milk jug or placemat, and cut it to shape of your pocket.
Place it against the outside of the pocket. Perfect concealment and zero printing.
I've done that before using a placemat cut to size.

In colder weather I do use kydex and leather holsters but not in the summer as they print.
They're hard to conceal with light clothes and it's, "Hey, he's packing a gun!"

IF....I do use an owb belt holster in the summer it's an Uncle Mike's kodra nylon Super Belt Slide.
It's thin with a low flat profile, comfortable, rides high and can be used cross-draw.
Don't need the thumb break and retention strap so they're removed as the gun fits tight.

·
Registered
450 Posts
You might be better off just putting the gun in your pocket.
Get a piece of plastic or vinyl, i.e. like a milk jug or placemat, and cut it to shape of your pocket.
Place it against the outside of the pocket. Perfect concealment and zero printing.
I've done that before using a placemat cut to size.

In colder weather I do use kydex and leather holsters but not in the summer as they print.
They're hard to conceal with light clothes and it's, "Hey, he's packing a gun!"
Gotta disagree. I exclusively pocket carry with kydex holsters and I mainly wear cotton cargo shorts. If your kydex holster is printing, you've got a bad kydex holster. There are brands I don't buy, specifically because they don't fit pockets properly and they print. Vedder is one of them. Worst pocket kydex holster I've ever seen, but you can find people online saying OMG THEY'RE THE BEST. No, they're the worst. They may be made out of kydex but they have none of the benefits of a properly made/designed kydex holster.

Nah, not going to carry the BT380 bare in my pocket lol. Talk about printing... I don't use Uncle Mikes, I find that the best holster is the one specifically made to fit a pistol, not a general fit cloth one like Uncle Mikes offers. Those may work for you, but not for me.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I exclusively pocket carry with kydex holsters
Picture or link to the kydex pocket holster that does not print?

I pocket carry..........

Snubbies can go year round in all my pockets. I carry either: Taurus 856 Ultralight, S&W 442, or a Taurus 605..............

I'll also carry my Ruger LCP...........

Lastly, I'll carry my Beretta BU9 Nano.
That's 5 different guns. Do you have a kydex holster for each?
If so are they the same brand holster or different brands?
It would really be helpful if you listed the holsters you carry for each.
I'm looking for additional non-printing holsters for my other guns
and the above information would be very helpful.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Picture or link to the kydex pocket holster that does not print?
That's 5 different guns. Do you have a kydex holster for each?
If so are they the same brand holster or different brands?
It would really be helpful if you listed the holsters you carry for each.
I'm looking for additional non-printing holsters for my other guns
and the above information would be very helpful.
Every gun gets its own holster unless the guns are the same design and can share a holster. For instance, the S&W 442 and Taurus 605 can use the same holster as they are the same dimensions. The Taurus 856 can't, as the slightly larger cylinder doesn't fit the smaller holster, so it needs it's own holster. The Nano BU 9 and the LCP also get their own unique holsters.

For the revolvers I use holsters from Aholster. Specifically this one:

For the Beretta Nano I use a holster from Alabama Holster, specifically this one:

I don't have a link to the LCP holster. That was made by a holster maker who sells on Ebay only, I believe. It's very similar to the Alabama Holster linked to above.

If you look at the pics, you'll notice they curve a bit at the bottom and the side that faces out is fairly smooth. I think that goes a long way in keeping them from printing. All of these fit in the front right pocket of my cargo shorts with no problem. All of them but the Beretta Nano fit in the same pocket of my Wrangler jeans. The Nano's a bit big, and while it does fit, it's a bit more than I'd like, so I don't usually carry it.

I've had these holsters for a few years, and none of them have split, cracked or otherwise broken as sometimes happens with Kydex. In a previous post I criticized Vedder kydex holsters. Their kydex is really thick so it's more like having a thick, hard plastic toy in your pocket. They're also a lot larger for reasons I can't fathom, and almost don't fit in the pocket. Those two things combined make them print like crazy. I wouldn't recommend Vedder at all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts