What did you do today that was gun related?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by 9UC, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Pistol_Packin_Preacher

Pistol_Packin_Preacher Well-Known Member

Hey Mules!

That is an awesome looking rifle!
    You should show that one.
    You could do a half hour (or even hour!) show (Mule's Tales?) on the making of that rifle.
    Most firearms enthusiasts would love to see that project come together from beginning to end.
    Great to hear from you again.
    Hope all is well in the Mules house!

God bless!!

Michael

PS Don't forget the episode on your various knives!

mulescj8 likes this.
  2. WarEagleEd

WarEagleEd Well-Known Member

I think you mean episodes on his various knives.

I took apart an AK- 47 magazine in order to clean rust off of it. That's as far as I got. It's disassembled on my reloading bench awaiting further attention.

Pancho_Villa and mulescj8 like this.

3. mulescj8

mulescj8 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Glad y’all enjoyed it, it was a fun build and I think it’s something Ruger should have been doing for years or at least offered a version of it. I will admit it turned out better than I expected and it performed better than expected. I still think it needs an adjustable gas block to keep it from throwing the brass so far but that’s an easy fix down the road. I’ve been home recovering from the knee surgery in January so it gave me something to do. I just got my other knee done weds so I may find a few other projects to tinker on since I’m going to be down awhile.

speaking of knives check out these guys, couple young kids that are working full time and hand forging knives one knife at a time instead of out party in their spare time. They are from Iowa and I’ve picked up a couple of their knives, they get better with each one. I’m going to put the link in a reply to this.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  4. mulescj8

Pancho_Villa likes this.
  5. mulescj8

Here is a video of a knife he forged out and I happen to have it. It’s the larger knife with the bluish tint above.

6. Toakey

Toakey NRA Life Member

Hey! Staying at home because of Covid-19 should give one more time to post in my favorite forum, not less.

My range opens at 12 noon and I’m taking my Beretta Model 81 to check out a new mag I got on Ebay. I bought the gun last year through a surplus dealer. It was imported, probably from Italy and it was either military or LE surplus. But it only came with one, 13 round mag. After searching for mags at reasonable prices, I found that Beretta will occasionally have them on their website. I asked to be notified and on two occasions I got an email and immediately went to Beretta on the web and they were shown as out of stock. Either they don’t stock very many or they are selling like hot cakes.

I gave up on Beretta and found a mag that’s supposed to work on Ebay. The description follows: “Mec-Gar 84 Nickel 10 shot magazine fitted to Beretta model 81 pistols .32 ACP.” Evidently they are are made for the Beretta Model 84 which I believe is a 380 ACP and they reshape the feed lips so it will work with the 32 cal round. I’m sure they do more than just modify the feed lips (follower? Spring?) but other changes aren’t described. It cost $36 which is about 2/3 the price of a new one, and it had glowing customer reviews.

I received it yesterday and put 12 rounds in it last night and manually cycled the slide. Every round fed and ejected OK. I’m not thrilled doing that with live rounds but I don’t have any 32 ACP snap caps.

I’ll let you all know how it works in my next post.
    19EAF382-3BF2-43C1-B8F4-510259E78248.jpeg
    BTW - The gun has been flawless with the original mag. Best used gun I evey bought.

mulescj8, Pancho_Villa, rond and 2 others like this.
  7. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Finally got around to fiiring a few rounds through a couple of my ARs. Just checkd zero on paper and blasted a few cans. Got around to putting a sling on the .300 B.O.

Just been too bummed out cause the last 2 gunshows in C.C. town were cancelled due to covid. Then they scheduled one this weekend and I still couldn't go cause the wife just had minor surgery Thursday and I have to be home with her.

8. Pancho_Villa

Cleared some brush along the siddes of my rifle backstop, Gotta trim mesquite on trhe way on the sides again. It' blocking the view. kinda dry lately, so the grass is not growning much now and will go domant soon anyway. Haven't had to mow as much. Looks like rhe new son in law wants to make a few clearcurs and maybe a deer blind or 2. We have had more deeer in here for a few year cause alof of people with land between here and trhe city have let rthe brush grow back and probably moved away. Just a few locals have set up ''one horse ranches down the road and cleared some of the brush deer were using for cover as they moved around. I'm sure they will be shooting some too. Even have a few nilgai running around rhart have escaped from a fenced ''canned hunt'' locarion behind a high fence abourt a mile from here. They have been breeding cause we have seen little ones. I know the guys eart os us have been killing them cause my dog drags in the huge leg bones after they cut one up. No season on those. Guess you can kill as many as your freezer dan hold anytime. But the big ones are as large as horses, so ya need a big freezer.

Anyway, I cleared the east fenceline behind the house and the house and the son in law and daughter did the west side by her garden in case they come up looking for food. It has been really dry the last few months and there is little food. The oaks in the yard don't have any acorns this year. Last year was a bumper crop. Animals will be coming to the feeders with no food around. Probably drag mine out and let him use it.

Gun swapping friend of mine called today and said they got a bigger feeder and a new hexagonal blind at his place. They are expecting more deer at the feeders also. He was so bored, he got a Weatherby Vanguard at the pawn shop this week just to tinker with it. He said they hsf not had any good wood stocked rifles in over a year, so he got that one. He put a scope on it, painted the stock in a sand color cause he doesn't like the black plastic stocks. He had run outta .243 ammo that I loaded for him, so he went to a Wally Mart 40 miles from here and only found one box. He said he would use it for a while and probably trade it off later if he can find a local with something more collectible. He has alot of nice older Remmy 700s, Winchesters, and some Ruger rifles. He is more of a long gun guy. l

All I hadf with me today was my Ruger LC9s in case I ran into vermin of the 4 or 2 legged variety in the field. Rattle snakes are still moving around, but I ususally find them on my front patio instead of the brush. We have only killed 3 small ones this year near the front door. Must be a new crop cause they were all usnder 2 feet. The last bunch I killed a few years ago were all about 4 and half feet long. Guess the blue Indigo population died off due tot he droughts cause they did a good job of keeping the rattlers thinned out. My F in law use to bring them in from a pipeline pump station where he worked. He retired some years bak and died a couple of years ago, so there have been no n4ew Indigos for a while.

So, I will probably take a shoulder rigged revolver with me to do more brush clearing this week. A couple of rounds of snake shot first and the rest regular ammo. Mfaybe my Ruger Speed Six or S&W 66. Kina heavy medium frame guns, but o.k. in a shoulder rig. Have a J frame shoulder rig that Iuse while on the riding mower around the yard. Ruger LCR .357 or Taurus 85UL. Not as heavy, but harder to hit small stuff.

Pistol_Packin_Preacher and rond like this.
  9. Pancho_Villa

Threw a bunch of stored junk and trash outta my shed so I could get to my reloading press. Got it cleaned up and lubed to load some rifle ammo.

WarEagleEd and rond like this.
  10. Toakey

Toakey NRA Life Member

Pancho, do you do pistol ammo? If yes, how much do you want per box? The only range ammo I can find around here is 32 ACP. I’m wearing my Beretta Tomcat out.

Pancho_Villa likes this.
  11. Pancho_Villa

Hey Toakey,

I Have heard that there are regulations on the sale of handloaded ammo. Never looked it up, but I would assume it might have something to do with liability for damage or injuries from improperly loaded ammo. Never have sold or even given away any handloads/reloads. And yes, I have been known to make a few mistakes in my early years of tinkering with hot loads. Just nothing bad enough to do any injuries or damage.

Dpn't really load that much ammo anymore. i did alot back in the late 70s and through the 80s. Mostly used large cal. revolvers back then in .357, .44 mag/spl, .45 LC. Tinkering with hot handloads like the gun rag writers were doing. Also had the TC Contder single shots in a multitude of cals & barrel lengths to experiment with. And all the rifles Ipicked used at shows and pawn shops.Still have most of the die sets in .22 Hornet, .221 Fireball, .222 & .223 Rem, .243 Win, .270 Win. .300 Savage, .308, .30 Herret, .30-30, ,30 Carbine, .30-06, .38 S&W, .38/.357, .44 mag/spl, .45 LC.

You will notie the lack of auto pistol cals. Well, mostly cause I did not have a large auto pistol till the mid 80s, a 1911. So, the only auto pistol cal I loaded for. Then ammo got so cheap, it just was not worth the effort to load it. Still, i would not load anything smaller than the .45 aco. Also, during the last ammo shortage years, the reloading componets got scarce like the ammo and more expensie. And then the shortage was over and the prices never came down. I waited till the ammo supply was caught up at the stores. Then all the hoarders were bringing it into the shows and getting a third or even less than they gave for it.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    Toakey likes this.
  12. Toakey

Toakey NRA Life Member

I reloaded a little when I was a newlywed (54 years ago). It was a “hand loader”. I think it was a Lee Loading kit. No press and a hand scoop powder measure. I reloaded for a 38 special Colt. As soon as I could afford it I went back to store bought ammo.

I have at least one ammo can of each caliber gun I own but during this shortage it wouldn’t take long to empty a can so my 22’s are getting a workout. I go to the range 2X per week and shoot between 50 - 100 round per visit. Last month my LGS got a skid of 22 ammo and I bought 4K rounds. Dang it! I should have bought more.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    Pancho_Villa likes this.
  13. Pancho_Villa

I use to shoot as much as you do. Now I mostly shoot guns that I pick up used at gunsdws to make sure they are in good working order and sigthed in before I turn them. Use to do alot of repair and refinishing of beaters that I got cheap or as trade ins. Not so much now that more polymers are used instead of wood and metal is not blued. Tne new average stuff is cheap to make and takes wear much better than the nice guns, which seem to be getting too expensive for the average buyer.. But I can turn them much faster cause they require much less hand work.

So, I stiill shoot as long as I am swaping stuff. Shoot all the ones I keep and my old stuff when things are slow. Like when there is a pandemic and I have to avoid going to the shows for months.

I started loading with the same LEE handloader that you did in .38 spl. & .357 mag for a Colt Lawman Mk III .357 that my f in law gave me cause he did not like it. It had extraction problems even with factory .357 and mt magnum handloads. The .38 spls. worked fine outta it. I alreadty had a new Super Blackhawk that I could not afford to feed, so a loading oress and the rest of the stuff that went with it made sense.

Still have that old LEE loader and a few others that I collected over the years.

rond and WarEagleEd like this.
  14. Pancho_Villa

Broke out a couple of rifles to check zero before hunting season. I can see well enough to punch paper, but not well enough to hunt. My son and son in law will probably do all the hunting.

rond and Pistol_Packin_Preacher like this.
  15. Pistol_Packin_Preacher

I have been keeping an open eye for .380 ammo.
    Bought a Kahr PM9 and a Kahr P380.
    I do have some 9mm ammo.
    But only 200 rounds of .380.
    Thought I only had 100 rounds until I found 100 rounds more.
    Both of the Kahr handguns are really nice shooting.
    But the P380 is really amazing.
    I was expecting more bounce due to how light it is but it was very solid and steady in the hand making it very accurate.

Now is a good time to shoot various calibers since getting ammo for some is almost impossible now.

God bless!!

Michael

Pancho_Villa and rond like this.
  16. Toakey

Toakey NRA Life Member

Good luck on finding 380 ammo. The only 380 I found recently was $39 a box. I refuse to buy at these inflated prices. My 22LR pistols and revolvers are getting a workout.

17. Pistol_Packin_Preacher

Rond, so great to hear from you!!!
    I don't know who all is still around.
    Hope all is well with you.

Hey Toakey!
    Agree on the price and way to handle it.
    I am not paying those prices.
    I know of a guy with a Dillon press that I am trying to get to load up .380 rounds.
    He does not have the die set.
    Probably now, if you can get the set, it would be double or triple the cost.

God bless all my fine Bersa family!!

Michael

18. Toakey

Toakey NRA Life Member

I put a deposit on a Glock 44. The price went up since the last time they had a couple in the display case. It’s now $399; was $359. I figure since I’m only shooting 22’s nowadays, I might as well add another on to the stable.

19. rond

rond Well-Known Member

Yep, I'm still around, just not much going on.
    My son got me an ATN night scope that I'm trying to learn how to use.
    Mounted it on a DPMS AR-10 in .308, still sighting it in.

20. Pistol_Packin_Preacher

Hey Rond!

Sounds like an awesome firearm to have.
    Have been looking at the Modern Sporting Rifle in .308 myself.
    When looking at the various calibers I see .308 as being great for long range, is a larger caliber, and is relatively inexpensive to shot compared to others.

Let us know how the ATN scope works out.
    Sounds great!

God bless brother!!

Michael

rond likes this.