Bersa Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this question has not been ask on here before. I checked and did not find such a post, so here go's. I heard good things as well as bad things about the Bersa Thunder 380. BTW I own 2. However I am just wondering how many of you folks really trust your Bersa? I carry a S&W 3913 and trust this gun with my life.

I have only had 1 FTF out of 350 rounds with my new Bersa 380, so I'm still breaking it in.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Guess it's just you and I hashin it out lol
I hv a uc9 as a nightstand gun ... I absolutely trust that tank.
1000 plus rounds through it ... Eats anything

Pop a 40 cal slide and barrel on her and she functions perfectly

Sent from my iPhone using Bersa Forum

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trust is everything. Gotta get this board going.

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm hoping to carry my BT 380 once I have it broken in. I love my S&W 3913 but I'm looking to place it in the back of the gun safe so to say, in that the BT 380 is much lighter and easier to carry. I mentioned on another post about the shirt carry and would love to know why you like it.

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to know Mortie.

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
I carried an old Model 383 for some time. No problems with it. Later got a .380 DLX. Worked perfectly, but I didn't carry it cause it looked too pretty.:D

Came up with a beater Thunder .380 at a gunshow and carried it for a few years. My son wanted it bad, so I let him have it. Totally reliable. It doesn't help that I am lazy about cleaning my guns. But, these guns have always worked diespite my lack of cleaning them as often as I should.

Looking for another one now. I hate to pay new gun prices. So, I am using a Ruger LC9 for the time being. I would rather have the external hammer, DA/SA modes of the Bersa. Size is about the same as the LC9, but the Bersa is WAY more accurate and controllable than any of the small DA autos that I have owned or carried.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have not been able shoot my BT380 as much as I like, but shooting about 300 rounds from my BT380 it has never fail to fire. I had a magazine issues with ProMag magazine that came with the pistol when I purchased from a friend(it fails to hold the slide after the last round). My friend never had any FTF issues with the pistol either with additional 100 rounds put through it. She found the BT380 to hard for her to rack the slide.

·
Registered
53 Posts

I have only had 1 FTF out of 350 rounds with my new Bersa 380, so I'm still breaking it in.
You've got to allow for operator error or an ammo related failure or even a magazine problem. The pistol is dependent on the other components doing their part as well. Your BT380 may be doing better than you think.

As for me, I trust my BT380. It was the pistol I used for my TX CHL.

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
qwiksdraw, I agree with you to a point. The fact that I have had only 1 issue with my BT380 go's a long way in building trust of this firearm. I carried a S&W 3913 for over 25 years and never ever had a issue with that weapon since day 1 out of the box. As I said at the beginning of this post I trusted that weapon with my life, and I still do, in that as a career Law Enforcement Officer, I had too.....Period.

This is only the second 380 I have ever own. The first was a Walther PPK/S that I owned for about 6 months. I hated that gun and sold it because I did not and could not "Trust" it as a backup or off duty weapon. IMO, Walthers are way over priced and way overated. For the cost of these pistols they should be guaranteed to be trouble free.

I now have about 400 or so rounds through my BT380 and I have made it my primary SD carry weapon. This is because of the trust I have aquired from shooting this weapon. I shoot twice a month and will continue to shoot this weapon which will only build on my trust of it.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
At this time I do not have 100% confidence in my Bersa Thunder 380. It ran fine for the first 600 rounds or more, except for S&B ammo which it dosent like. Then I started having issues with the slide. The slide catch notch had become visibly worn. The slide was fitted to the catch and it is now running properly, but the metal in the slide is obviously soft and I wonder if I will have future issues. The warranty shop assures me that while this is a common problem, it is one that doesn't happen again once fixed. We'll see.

I used my Thunder to requalify with and had over a 20% failure rate. The magazine decided to crap out on me. The last round was fail to feed on each magazine. I passed using alibis. That issue was fixed by Eagle Imports sending me a new magazine spring. I bought two pro mags, which feed fine but will not lock the slide back when empty. Was able to finally get two more OEM magazines so I now have three functional carry mags and two range mags.

I have thought about trading for maybe a Glock 42 or a Sig 238, but the Bersa just fits me and it is uber accurate. Hope I do not have any more issues with it.

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Greg, sorry to hear about your issues with your BT380. I know the feeling, in that once you lose that trust, it's very hard to get it back, especially with a gun. Hopefully you will not have any more issues with your BT380.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Magazine failure is not a failure of the gun. That would be like saying your car is junk because the tires are worn.

Look for MecGar Magazines. You get reliable magazines that add one more round and costs less than factory mags.

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hey qwik, have you used these MecGear magazines? I ask because I've heard both good and bad about non-Bersa made mags. I do however, like the fact that this mag gives you one addition round. Also, does the finger extention fit flush with the gun like the factory mags do?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Magazine failure is not a failure of the gun. That would be like saying your car is junk because the tires are worn.

Look for MecGar Magazines. You get reliable magazines that add one more round and costs less than factory mags.
The magazines are not my worry, the slide is.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey qwik, have you used these MecGear magazines? I ask because I've heard both good and bad about non-Bersa made mags. I do however, like the fact that this mag gives you one addition round. Also, does the finger extention fit flush with the gun like the factory mags do?
Yes, I have three of them, and they are the ones I use for carry. There is a slight gap from the base pad and the frame, which I hadn't noticed until you asked. Otherwise, the fit is secure, the Mecgar mags have never had a problem. I also use MecGar mags with my 1911s (45ACP & 9MM) and my Sig Sauer M11-A1.

greg_r: The magazines are not my worry, the slide is.
You should call one of the other the Bersa Authorized repair centers, you might get a different response. Ultimately I believe they will have the solution for you.

http://www.bersa.com/warranty

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thanks qwik, I'm gonna go ahead and order a couple of them. I really like the fact that they hold one extra round and the price is right as well.

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK I ordered 3 of them at $20.00 bucks apiece. I got 3 Mags for the price of 2 Bersa mags. I'll take it.:D Lets hope I get to trust them as well as I'm heading to the range tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Yes, I have three of them, and they are the ones I use for carry. There is a slight gap from the base pad and the frame, which I hadn't noticed until you asked. Otherwise, the fit is secure, the Mecgar mags have never had a problem. I also use MecGar mags with my 1911s (45ACP & 9MM) and my Sig Sauer M11-A1.

You should call one of the other the Bersa Authorized repair centers, you might get a different response. Ultimately I believe they will have the solution for you.

http://www.bersa.com/warranty
I actually spoke with 4 different service centers. All pretty much told me the same thing. I was balking at paying more for shipping than the replacement part. Eagle imports offered to refund the cost of a slide when I returned the old one. I opted to fix the slide myself ank keep the second as a spare.

I want to stress that the service centers and Eagle Imports were great to work with. Do I carry my Bersa? No, but I'm thinking about it again. Would I buy another? Yes, I do not think mine is an example of what most get, they are too popular. Was I disappointed? Of course.

I want to repeat what I said earlier, I like the ergonomics and it's super accurate.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts