thunder 380 plus magazine in a model 86?

Discussion in 'Bersa Accessories & Gear' started by gunnutbs, Oct 5, 2012.

1. gunnutbs

gunnutbs New Member

Does anyone know if the "thunder 380 plus" 15 round magazines are the same as the mags that go in the model 85 and 86? they are both double stack magazines and look very similar.

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the Bersa Forum gunnutbs !!

Not sure about the interchangeability of the magazines...

perhaps someone else here will be able to render assistance !

3. blazinbrazer

blazinbrazer Well-Known Member

here is the best info i could find for you on the mags in the little time i have to tinker at the moment, hope it helps, keep in mind as stated you will have to modify the mag to make it work properly.

"Since it's no longer being produced, spare magazines are going to be hard to come by. However, I've seen reports that the current 15 round Plus magazine will work in the Model 85 if you're willing to make a modification. Specifically, you need to cut a magazine catch notch higher on the side of the magazine. Here's a comparison picture of the Model 85/86 magazine alongside a current production BT380 Plus mag." ( pulled off of another firearm chat forum)

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/p-t-max/bt380_fs22/86_85_plusmags.jpg

best of luck to you and if you decide to try let the rest of us know how it turns out please.

4. holeshot308

holeshot308 Member

I just bought a Thunder Plus .380 and when I started looking for a couple extra 15 rd. mags it turned into a friggin nightmare!!!!!!!! Almost everyplace I looked (SEVERAL!!!!!!!!!!) listed them at the MSRP of $42.00 each and they were all out of stock with no idea of when they would have any OR if they did have them the S&H was ridiculously high!! NOT about to go the "PRO-CRAP/ PRO-MAG" magazine route after trying two of them in my Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Target rifle and winding up using the magazines as targets since neither one would even begin to work. I learned that Factory mags are the only way to go. Finally on around the 6th page of search results and found a place named " Personal Choice Outfitters International LLC " that listed the Bersa factory 15 rd. mags for $36.41 each PLUS free shipping. They aren't the fastest shippers in the world, I ordered mine on 11/03 and got a notice they were shipping on 11/16 but saving around $5.50 per mag and NO S/H charge I don't mind the wait!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. rnickelson

rnickelson Junior Member

Are you saying Bersa is no longer making 15 round magazines for the Thunder Plus?

I just checked Personal Choice Outfitters and they no longer list them, looks like I may have to break down and pay the full price from Bersa, I've searched everywhere and can't find them online anywhere.

6. holeshot308

holeshot308 Member

Almost everywhere I looked listed the 15 rd. factory mags at $42.00 each which is the Bersa MSRP. So the best thing is just to order the mags anywhere you can find them. It stands to reason that Bersa will have them available before anyone else gets them in stock. Ran into the same problem with a new CZ-70 Duty .40 S&W trying to buy extra magazines. Finally got spares from the CZ Custom shop and like the Bersa mags, they weren't cheap. I've seen threads where some people have had good results with "Pro-Mag" BUT I've always had problems with them in pistols and rifles. Picked up two to try in my Mini-14 Ranch Target and neither one would let the bolt strip a round out of them regardless of how many rounds were in the mag. NOT something I would trust for C.C. Regardless of the cost factory mags are the only way to go.

7. andrewclark

andrewclark Member

I was finally able to find it at Personal Choice Outfitters

I think their search feature just doesn't work, because I did every kind of search I could think of on their site (personal choice outfitters) and I couldn't find it either, but by Googling the magazine product number (THUN380PM15MAG) which I got from Bersa's site I was able to find it at:
    http://personalchoiceoutfitters.com/product-details.php?id=4143 for $36.41 free shipping.

Although still very expensive in my opinion :eek:, I grabbed 2 tonight and will see how fast/slow they arrive.

8. rnickelson

rnickelson Junior Member

I just ordered some, best price so far and with free shipping a pretty good deal. Thanks for the heads up.

9. holeshot308

holeshot308 Member

.380 Plus Holster??

Anyone found a good paddle holster for the Plus?? I've got a Fobus BS-2 that fits my .380 CC but the Plus won't go in the holster deep enough to "lock in" like the CC does. Thought the problem might be the slide release since the Plus sticks out further than the CC does. Took the Dremel tool and cut a channel in the Fobus to clear the release but the Plus still doesn't bottom out. Found one at Galco but...... they show the availability as sometime next Feb. Would like to get something before then. The only other thing I can find for the Plus is kind of a universal nylon shoulder rig. Really prefer a paddle style in Kydex. Any suggestions short of buying another Fobus BS-2 and butchering it with the Dremel to make it fit the Plus? (Look like it could be made to fit the Plus by replacing the rivets on top of the slide channel and putting in some spacers and re-riveting to open the slide channel up.)

10. andrewclark

andrewclark Member

back ordered

Update: Got a voice-mail asking me to call them about my order. Tried the number they gave and every number I could find on their site but all lead to full voice-mail boxes that wouldn't allow me to leave a message. Many of my other favorite gun sites are experiencing overwhelming business right now and limited supply, so I guess I can understand if they are running into similar problems. I remember 4 years ago all the ammo shelves emptying last time Obama was elected and it's happening again this time, so at least he is good for business.

Anyway, I decided to email them instead and got a response telling me my items were on back-order. I'll ride it out and see what happens, but I'm predicting I'll never see the magazines.

In the mean-time I stumbled across a double stack 380 bersa mag in a miscellaneous box at a gun show for $25 so I jumped on it thinking it must be the same as mine. Turns out it's like the one mentioned earlier in this thread, with a catch release notch higher up and lower capacity. Oh well, I'll just try some dremeling to create a new lower notch and see how that goes. If successful I'll try to post a pic.

11. rnickelson

rnickelson Junior Member

I haven't received mine, I was getting ready to send you a PM to see if you got yours. They called me just before Christmas and said the should ship in 7 to 10 days, guess they were waiting to get them from Bersa. I just read on Bersachat.com that Bersa just got the 15 round mags back in stock. I sent PCO an email Friday, maybe I'll hear from them tomorrow.

This just the beginning, we can't find .22 ammo here in parts of OK, I did stock up on 300 rounds of .380 ammo, took the last Walmart had in stock and they haven't been able to get anymore in.

12. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the Bersa Firearms Forum Andrew Clark !!

13. andrewclark

andrewclark Member

Another update to the magazine saga. A little while back I heard bersa.com had some available again, so I quickly checked and sure enough, instead of the "out of stock" message there was a "add to cart" button. So I ordered 2 (only 2 - still hung up on the price). After a week or having heard nothing I checked the progress of my order and they were back-ordered. @#%^! I figured this was going to be just like the personal outfitters place who still hasn't sent anything. But I figured I would let it ride anyway and see what happens. Well, I finally got them! Crazy I know. Sill no news for the other place.

14. rnickelson

rnickelson Junior Member

The other place called me two weeks ago and said they ar on backorder, no idea when the will be in. Guess I'll wait.

15. karlpurvis

karlpurvis Member

notsure what a paddle holster is but have you tried www.crossbreedholsters.com?

16. rnickelson

rnickelson Junior Member

17. Bob56

Bob56 New Member

Andrewclark, the mag you describe from the gun show may be for the older model 85. Release was higher up behind the trigger pin, and 12 round. I've been looking for one. Still have it? If you post response I'll send contact info

18. mlsa

mlsa Member

After NOT being able to find a magazine for my model 85 Bersa 380, I ordered a 15 rd double stack for the Bersa 380 Plus. It has shipped and should be here this week.

Now, to cut the magazine catch notch higher up to match the model 85 magazine. Hopefully, this will work and not be a pain in the butt.

I know there have been reports of this working but has anybody actually tried it? I hate spending that much money and getting something that won't work. But it was my last hope to get another magazine.

I'll let you know what I find out when I finish mine.

19. mlsa

mlsa Member

Ok, got my Bersa 380 Plus magazine in today. Took the dremel to it and cut the notch up higher where my model 85 notch is. It took a couple of tries but I got it and it DOES work. Mind you, the notch is not pretty but it does work.

I can't shoot it for another 4 months to try it out....had open heart surgery 2 months ago and they won't let me shoot anything for 6 months...but I did load the magazines to full capacity (could only get 14 in) and racked the slide over and over ejecting the ammo. Everything went smoothly...did this 3 times and it only hung up once.

Can't wait to actually shoot it and see how it works. I now have two magazines that hold 14 rounds each.