Taurus / Rossi Firearms Thread

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by SHOOTER13, Sep 26, 2012.

1. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

This thread is dedicated to all owners of the Taurus / Rossi line of firearms...

Pictured below is my newest toy...a Taurus / Rossi Ranch Hand.

It is a lever action repeating pistol holding 6 in the tubular mag...+1 in the chamber and will shoot both the .44 Magnum and .44 Special cartridge from it's 12" barrel. Overall length is 23 1/2" and it weighs in at 4 lbs. The metal is a matte blue and the furniture is made from Brazilian hard woods.

[​IMG]

2. SHOOTER13

If this firearm looks familiar to some of you, it's because of the 60's

TV series called Wanted: Dead or Alive starring a very young Steve McQueen

as Josh Randall, a Civil War veteran who carried a sawed-off rifle as a holstered weapon

and made a living as a bounty hunter in the Wild West of the 1870s. The show ran

from 1958 to 1961. In the series this firearm was refered to as a Mare's "Laig" by the character McQueen played.

(McQueen faked a car accident to put the series into hiatus while he went on to film The Magnificent Seven.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More recently this sawed off carbine has been seen in such sci-fi classics as the movie Serenity (Firefly) by the

character named Zowie and in Zombieland by the character played by Woody Harrelson named "Tallahassee".

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012

3. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The Ranch Hands look pretty nice. I checked some out at the shows and Academy Sports. Just couldn't justify getting one. I remember Steve McQuessn with one. I was in grade shool probably. A couple of guys that have them said that they shot really high. they had to put taller front sights on them to get them to zero. How did yours shoot?

4. Pancho_Villa

Some Taurus handguns. I can afford to get a few of these new. Some used.

A Mod 24/7 in .45 acp. It is a dec0cker with SA or DA for first shot. Has a manual safety. Striker fired, 3 dot sights, capacity 12+1 IIRC. Got this one new when Academy Sports put them on sale for 299 about 2 years ago. Worked great, shot low. Found out the fixed sighted models do for some reason. Every different gun I had with fixed sights did.

http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/.../PanchoVilla_2/?action=view&current=004-2.jpg

A Model 99AS in 9mill, or copy of Beretta 92. This one has adjustable sights and shoots where I aim it. Capacity is 15+1 and uses Beretta mags. This one has a safety only and can be carried c0cked and locked. No dec0cker. DA or SA modes. And the grips even say Beretta on them. An early bright blue gun I got recently used off a guy at a show.

http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/PanchoVilla_2/?action=view&current=010.jpg

A older Taurus Model 85, .38 spl. with 3" barrel, 5 shot, DA or SA, fixed sights. This one shoots where ya aim it. Got it LNIB about 15 years ago and gave it to the F n law with 5 rounds of JHPs and 2 boxes of wadcutters. He is in the nursing home now. Got it back and it was never fired. At least he didn't loose this one like he did with a S&W Mod 19 I loaned him. Stolen from his vehicle he said.

http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/.../PanchoVilla_2/?action=view&current=004-2.jpg

The othe is a 53 vintage Colt Cobra .38 spl. lightweight, 1st issue. Carry it alot. Alloy frame, steel cylinder and 2" barrel, wood grain-plastic grips with Colt logo. Kinda finish worn, but real tight. My dad got it off an old LEO. Now it is mne. Jack Ruby used one on Oswald.

5. opaww

opaww Banned

As of right now the only Taurus I own is the untra-lite snub-nose .38spl. One of my carry guns.

Attached Files:

6. SHOOTER13

It also shoots a little high with magnums...specials are usually dead on !

7. Pancho_Villa

Nice carry gun. I had one in stainless that I carried all the time. Got the revo habit. Unless Ihave a Bersa .380, I have a snub .38 spl. on me.

Had to sell the 85 when i sold a bunch of other guns. Job loss. Only have a Smith 60 and a Colt Cobra snub left. I do have a blue Taurus 85, but the 3' barrel makes it a little hard to hide except in a heavy coat. We don't need coats insouth Texas very much.:D

8. Pancho_Villa

Here is a pic of a Rossi Mod 70 in .22 cal. It is pretty much a copy of the S&W. It is a 6 shot model. DA/SA fixed sights. Came with some skinny, fugly wood grips. Put some Pachy grips off a J frame Smith on it. Worked o.k. This one was made way before Rossi joined Taurus. Last one of these was made in @ 1985. Great shooter with Fed Bulk pack. Real picky about anything else. Got it in a swap at a gunshow a couple of months ago.

[​IMG]

9. SHOOTER13

It does look like a S&W clone...

10. bersastud

bersastud Active Member

Mine shot high with every thing. After one time shooting it. I took back to Dealer and traded for a Bersa 9mm UC . It hit where I aimed .
    I was really disapointed in the ranch . I also had a couple misfeeds I had owned a couple of the Rossi lever guns before this and they worked fine.

You do know since this is a pistol and sold as such you can cut stock and barrel and make even smaller A snub nose 3 shot ranch Oh Yea!!!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  11. SHOOTER13

Yes...I am aware. Thanks

12. Pancho_Villa

Here is a medium frame pistola I picked up at the gunshow on Sat. It is a used Taurus Model 82 in .38 Spl. Guy that brought it by had been all around the show trying to sell it for 2 bills. It is a 4" heavy barrel, blue, 6 shot revolver. Fiexed sights and had some fugly, refinished wood grips that the guy had done on it. Probably why he could not sell it cause he was now down to 150. It did not have much mechanical wear, but did have a few dings. Good lockup. Anyway, he did not take my lowball offer of 80 bucks for it. The guys at the table next to me did not even make an offer on it.

It had been a pretty bad day for some of the collectors at the show I guess. Not for me. I had already bought an all matching Mosin Nagant 91/30 rifle for 45 bucks and sold it for 185 before lunch. So I had some $ to play with.

The guy with the Taurus came back later and was down to a bill for the gun. He finally broke down at 90 bucks and I snagged it. I could live with that and I had some Pachy grips that would most likely fit it in my junk. They were off a S&W Mod 10 which is what this gun most closely resembles. Grips went right on it.

Will try to do a range report later today if time allows

[​IMG]

So now it looks like this.

13. SHOOTER13

Nice score PV...!!

14. bmarg711

bmarg711 Gold Member

This is my 1st gun, Taurus 24/7 Pro LS/DS in 45 ACP...

Desert tan Cera-Kote and a custom grip.....

Attached Files:

• gun.jpg
      gun.jpg
      File size:
      160.3 KB
      Views:
  15. Pancho_Villa

I like your pistola bmarg711. I have had a 24/7 Pro DS ..45 for a couple of yers now. It's a relieable gun. Does shoot a little low, but I have had to get use to that with the Taurus autos. The finish is quite a bit better looking than my plain black one. Really like the feel of the gun. Who makes the grip ya put on it?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  16. bmarg711

bmarg711 Gold Member

There is a guy here in Houston that did the grip custom. I had him put a palm swell in it @ a 45 degree on the right back corner of the grip to make it feel better in my hand.

17. Pancho_Villa

Sounds great. Have you shot the gun very much? Kinda wondering if it shoots low. I have had several of the Taurus autos. Sold off a like new PT145 that I got a year before this one cause it shot 10" low and a PT1911 cause it shot about a foot low. Couple of PT638s in .380 also, but not so much at about 6" low. This one is only about 4" low so i have been able to compensate for it. All have been totally reliable so far. Just hate for the guns to shoot too loow. Only one I have that shoots where I like it is an old PT99 AF in 9 mm. It has an adjuable rear sight.

18. Heimdhal

Heimdhal Well-Known Member

I have a slightly uncared for pt 145 thats never given me an issue of its own yet. It was a friends, and he neglected it, let it get a little rust on the slide, but that was about it.

One mag did go bad fairly quickly (low round count) and was causing misfeeds every 2nd or 3rd round. Easy enough to fix, NEW MAG!

Neither of those were the guns fault, bad mags and rust can happen when people dont take care of their stuff. Thing still runs like a champ and thats all you can ask for. I have been thinking of selling it though.....

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  19. bmarg711

bmarg711 Gold Member

Mine shoots a little lower than I would like, but not the 4-6 inches that you were mentioning.

It is low maybe an inch or so, but i had thought it was more of a sight picture thing with me - not the gun.

Perhaps getting a set of aftermarket sights would help?:confused:

20. Pancho_Villa

Well, it;s o.k. for a combat gun. That is it's main purpose. Read on Taurusforum that they were suppose to have sights of different highs for different guns, but that they stopped that. It might just be B.S. Maybe it is one sight fits all or something. Hate to pay for another sight when they should have got it right the first time. Thought about taking some off the front sight, but that would ruin the 3 dot sight picture.

When I bought this gun, I had gone to Academy Sports to check out the then new 745 single stack. None available, just 709s and 740s. The 24/7 was on sale for 299 cause they were going to the latest model. Sounded good, so I got it. It is suppose to have the 3rd type of mag change that is not suppose to fail. Hasn't yet. The PT145 I had was the Pro model with the improved mags and trigger but no DS. Model changes seem really constant with Taurus autos.