Suggestions needed...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by David, Feb 24, 2013.

1. David

David Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Can anyone think of anything a deaf person can do in the security field? I'm deaf and old, but with the hearing aids, I can still "hear" the sounds, just can't identify them or tell where they're coming from. I can also hold a face-to-face conversation very well.

2. hilandr

hilandr thunder 380 CC owner

Where are you located? That might help us look with you!

3. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Watching monitors would be right up your alley.

Have you thought about applying to a major security firm?

4. David

East Texas, about an hour northeast of Houston.

Most big companies find ways around hiring deaf people. Happened with Frito Lay and Lance Snack Foods.

5. Shooter

What did they say specifically? Employers are not allowed to be discriminant based on disability.

6. David

Most of the time they'll say, "after interviewing several candidates, the most qualified candidate for the position has been selected", or some BS like that. After working many jobs, eventually, I learn when its my deafness that gets in the way.

7. Shooter

Do you have a good work history? Is there any chance that's what actually happened?

8. David

Oh, I know its hard to believe. Even my father has trouble believing me. At both companies, I was awarded outstanding sales awards or something similar. Eventually, the managers get frustrated with the lack of communication on route. The Frito Lay manager, and his manager, even told me they are getting frustrated with not being able to talk to me on route. As for Frito Lay, I get sales awards, but suddenly out-of-date products started to appear on my route, and I was NEVER the first one to see them. See what I'm saying?

They (well, at least those two) always find ways around the ADA.

9. Shooter

I'm really sorry to read that.