Bersa Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

The slide catch lever on my Bersa Thunder 380 CC Crimpson Trace Edition walks out just enough that the magazine follower pops up past it on the last round. Thus letting the slide jamb up on the magazine follower instead of the catch like it is supposed to do.

I have a used one the slide catch was badly machined on but this is not it so please do not confuse it with my other posts.

Do not mention warrenty. It is not honered. At least in this covid culture.So done with all that. So I remain civil And stick to the subject. I will not even discuss it. I will ignore responses to such. I have tried everything in my power to get my New gun warranted. So has the dealer. Just a bunch of emails and none answers to calls.

My question is are the grips supposed tho control the ride out on this, with that "tang" that hands down, or are they supposed to clear it without the slide lock even touching if rode out as far as it can?
Is it the spring that keeps it completely in place when operating or is the grip supposed to help with movement too.

The Crimpson Trace has a big hollow in it that could fit a shim, thus helping retain the slide lock lever from walking.
If this is my issue just too much clearance. I will just put a shim in the grip and It will function fine, but do not want it rubbing on the inside of the grip or touching the inside if the grip in any way if it is not supposed to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If someone comes across the same problem and finds this thread figured I had better share my findings.
Found the issue.
To my surprise, Some one I knew had a Newer Thunder that worked like it was supposed to, so after comparison found my issues.
The issue was caused definitely by tolerance stacking.

First thing was the magazine channel was milled offset from center by .015 not enough to cause a feeding problem, But diminishing the surface area contact between the mag follower and the slide catch.

Second there is a tang on the top of the catch that the spring fits into, it spaces against the slide to keep the catch from riding out of the frame, it was about .010 too thin.
So it allowed the slide catch to ride out a total of .034 total from the frame. About .01 more then it should. At least according to the other guns measurements.

Both issues improper milling of the mag channel and out of spec slide catch, would neither be an issue on its own, but working together caused my issue.
The mag follower pushing past the slide catch on firing the last round but not when hand cycling with snap caps.
This would allow my mag follower upon firing the last round to ride high and let the slide catch on it. Thus hanging the gun in a kind of almost all the way open position.
My fix use the grip as a slide stop "retainer" by installing a shim between the grip and the lower slide stop tang.

Basically in red neck turns, I double faced taped a piece of beer can to the inside if the grip, in the slide catch releaf to make it tighter and hold the darn release from walking. So the lower slide catch tang hits it under pressure of fire, and can't move out any further.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts