Bersa Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Inspired by Pistol_Packing_Preachers thread on single shots.

I told the spousal unit that anything I buy gun wise going forward would be something unusual or unique. I really do have about everything I want. I do like a break barrel single shot rifle. I sold off some of my Handi Rifles and a entry level handguns, downsized and upgraded. Kept some favorites and bought a couple of Henry Single shots. One firearm I owned and never replaced after the great fire of ‘99 was a T/C Contender. The Contender itself is somewhat unique. But what about unusual? How about some chamberings?

The 7mm International Rimmed I think qualifies. When I bought my Contender used, one of the barrels it came with was thus chambered. It was designed by Elgin Gates for the game of metallic silhouette back in the 70’s I think and remained pretty popular through the following decade. Mine was a 7mm TCU barrel that had been rechambered. The 154 grain bullet at about 2100 FPS knocked over the 200 meter ram with ease. It’s long neck is great for cast bullets and the case is easily formed from 30-30 Winchester brass. Run the cases through a full length sizing die, fireform, and you remove the case taper and form a proper shoulder. Bullets from 120 to 145 would be better for hunting I think. The T/C Contender is factory chambered in the 7-30 Waters. It’s another wildcat designed in the 70’s, but this one was designed as a hunting round from the start. It steals the thunder from the 7mm Intl Rimmed if for no other reason than it was domesticated. It also gives just a bit more velocity than the former cartridge.
5EE437EF-C2D3-4B3C-90A6-4DFEF4447744.jpeg

The 357 Herrett Was another barrel that came with the Contender I purchased. It was designed by Bob Milek, who was known for his writings on handgun hunting, and Steve Herrett. The 357 Herrett was designed especially for the T/C Contender. It is formed from the 30-30 Winchester case as well. Necked up, shortened, and fireformed. I found it necessary to bell the case mouth before necking up the cases. Still, it was a fairly easy transformation. Like the 7mm International Rimmed, there is a factory produced round that is available that will outperform the 357 Herret, especially with bullets over 180 grains. The 35 Remington. But the 35 Remington is not chambered in the Contender so it would be a custom job anyway. Plus it has no rim. In my opinion break barrel single shot cartridges need rims. I wonder how the 357 Herret would do with the Hornady 140 grain FTX bullet?
C4CA7722-F85B-497E-A15B-0300EA8E6C4E.jpeg

The 30 Badger is formed by simply running a 38 Special case run through a 7.62x25 die and loading .308 bullets in it. I am not sure who it’s designer was. Mine was not a T/C Contender though, but a H&R Handi rifle. It was made using the “stubbing method". Basically the chamber end of a donor barrel is cut off, a .308 barrel blank is threaded or soldered in.

It was built as a substitute for 22 Rimfire when the rimfire cartridge was hard to find. I loaded up the Lee 113 grain cast “soup can” bullet at a modest velocity. It was a wonderful small game and plinking round. I sold my barrel simply because I was made an offer I could not refuse.
9814C6B6-44AF-46A8-B55A-8F3ADA3CB776.jpeg

There you have it. A unique rifle and three unusual cartridges. Do you think the spousal unit would go for it?
upload_2019-5-19_9-47-54.jpeg

Note: link to the court case where it was determined that it was ok to have a T/C Contender frame and both rifle and pistol components.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Thompson-Center_Arms_Co.
https://www.atf.gov/file/55526/download

Reactions: Pancho_Villa

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Greg those look like some nasty rounds. Not sure what offering TC has I’ve not looked into them in awhile. I like unusual myself (hence the CVA Handguns) but since I sold all my reloading stuff about 25 years ago and haven’t gotten back into reloading I tend to stay with stuff I can get locally and not cost $5 a round lol one exception might be my .300 WSM.

What about a .257 Roberts? I just passed last month on a Husqvarna bolt gun cambered in it. I know it’s a great round but it’s hard to find ammo for so I passed on it.

Even tho it’s not unusual I think my next single shot is going to be the .35 Whelen I’m also interested in .444 Marlin and the .450 Bushmaster all of which CVA offers in the single shot Scout V2 rifle which I really like.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's got to have a rim. I even did a rim cut on my AAC 300 BLK handi.

of course there is a 257 Bob Rimmed. .......hummmmm.

Reactions: mulescj8

·
Registered
891 Posts
Greg:

I have to say that is one impressive rifle.
Mules was saying you can swap barrels on the TC.
But those are such unusual calibers.
I love the unusual myself and, even though it would be hard finding those rounds, I would jump at the chance for a firearm such as that.

Mules:

I understand the wanting of easily obtainable calibers.
Not a re-loader here.
And I also love the bigger calibers.
If only shooting them occasionally they are fun to have.

God bless!!

Michael

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greg:

I have to say that is one impressive rifle.
Mules was saying you can swap barrels on the TC.
But those are such unusual calibers.
I love the unusual myself and, even though it would be hard finding those rounds, I would jump at the chance for a firearm such as that.

Mules:

I understand the wanting of easily obtainable calibers.
Not a re-loader here.
And I also love the bigger calibers.
If only shooting them occasionally they are fun to have.

God bless!!

Michael
You are not going to find the cartridges at the local big mart store, but the parent cases are 30-30 Winchester and 38 Special. They are readily available. I understand that the cartridges would be a deterrent to non-reloader’s. But for those of us who do reload it is an opportunity to easily form and load up cartridges that are just a little bit unique. That said, the 7-30 Waters, 35 Remington, and the 300 Whisper / 300 Blackout are available should somebody want a factory round with similar ballistics.

You may remember that I was working to standardize my firearms a while back. To that end I have Henry Single Shots in 223, 308, and 12 gauge. 9mm and 38 Special are my handgun cartridges of choice. Plan is to get a Henry Single Shot with a brass frame in 38/357. (I did keep a select few of the Handi Rifles. 30-30, 45 Colt, 45-70, 223, 280, and 300 Blackout)

I doubt I will ever get the T/C, but if I do it will most likely be the 7-30 Waters.

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
Hey Greg,

Those are some good rounds. I tinkered wirh rhe .30 Herrett back in the 70s. I had 2 T/C fames and several barrels. mostly pistol, magnum cals. The .30 Herrett was in my case for metaland hunting. Never did hunt with it, but I did punch some metal. That game nrever got real popular around here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts