Safety is breaking the bones in my fingers on my new 380 Plus

Discussion in 'General Bersa Discussion' started by rvenneman, Oct 10, 2017.

1. rvenneman

rvenneman Active Member

It is almost impossible to take the safety off on my new Thunder 380 Plus. Has anyone else had this issue? Ouch!!

2. vince

vince Well-Known Member

What I can tell you from my personal experience is that the decocker (safety) can be very stiff, but loosens with use. Recent events have shown me this is a issue that can be fixed. My decocker lever snapped off and my Bersa Thunder was sent in for repair. When it returned the decocker was as smooth as butter. Contact your local Bersa warranty gunsmith.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    rvenneman likes this.

3. Renaldo

Renaldo Well-Known Member

I've had that problem with other pistols. I've found that any stiff controls usually work themselves out after a couple of hundred rounds, a couple of cleanings, and just general use.

If you've already been through all that, may want to have it looked at.

rvenneman likes this.
  4. dutchboy

dutchboy Well-Known Member Supporter

Rv, when I first acquired my BT 380 & 22, the safeties on both pistols were very stiff as well. This I have found is common with many new pistols. Basically I just worked the safeties back & forth about a million times. I know that may be a pain, but it does work as my safeties are very smooth & easy to operate now. Like the others have said, it will loosen up with use over time also.

rvenneman likes this.
  5. rvenneman

rvenneman Active Member

Thanks for all who responded.

6. Renaldo

How is it now? Still stiff or have you been able to work it out?

rvenneman likes this.
  7. rvenneman

rvenneman Active Member

I just got back to it. I have been messing with my couple of rimfires. I sprayed a little CLC and have been working it and it seems to be working out a bit.
    Would you use the Bersa Thunder 380 Plus as an EDC?

Renaldo likes this.
  8. Retired1

Retired1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I do.

9. PeteinMI

PeteinMI New Member

My safety on my Thunder 380cc was also really hard to use. Last time at the range my safety lever broke in half. I ordered a new one from Eagle Imports and replaced it myself. It is so much better now. My gun is about 5 years old with around 2,000 - 3,000 rounds through it....the safety lever never loosened up for me.

10. rvenneman

rvenneman Active Member

Mine has been getting looser as I move from off to on. I have some arthritis in my hand and I got the pistol to the point of being able to take it off with the thumb of my right hand without hold the gun in my left hand.
    In contrast, my Bersa Thunder Pro 9mm UC is a perfect setup for a safety. I wish the Bersa Thunder 380 Plus had the same setup.

PeteinMI likes this.
  11. Renaldo

I sometimes use my BT380 for carry, so yeah, if I had a Plus I'd have no problems carrying it.

rvenneman likes this.
  12. Renaldo

It should loosen up a bit the more you shoot it, too. If arthritis is an issue, maybe look for guns with out a safety. Just thinking having one less thing to manipulate quickly may be a good idea.

rvenneman likes this.
  13. JackStraw

JackStraw Well-Known Member

I would if I had one as long as I felt it was reliable. If you have all the issues fixed and can shoot it no problems then it should be a perfectly good EDC.

I sold my Thunder 380 and my Firestorm 22 but just ordered a Combat and another CC. I think I am nuts but I like the looks of the Combat and the Black CC. I also like the Thunder that is specially sold at Academy. It has the combat style sites on it. I like that type of sight.

I have a grey two tone CC and it is the one I sent back for repair. Now it works well. I am shy to sell it because I know they worked on it. I have had to do the same thing with almost all my Tauruses to get them working very reliably. Once they fix them, then they are great!

Did you send your gun to Colorado Gun Works? They had mine for three months or four and when I called them, they said they were a performance shop. So, I am thinking they not only replace parts but also might do some tuning to make sure they don't come back broken again. I have seen youtubes detailing what they do to repair these at the shop discovered by people who sent them in. I don't know how long it takes for Bersa to incorporate the fixes in their manufacturing.

I guess you could call them and ask but I don't know how forthcoming they would be about the common defects of these guns.

When I called, I got the impression that the tech I talked with liked the Plus the best!

rvenneman likes this.
  14. boomerguy49

boomerguy49 Well-Known Member

When I bought my new BT380 it was covered in cosmoline as expected, inside and out, so I cleaned it very thoroughly -- or so I thought. Even though the pistol worked perfectly, the safety/decocker was still very stiff. I removed the slide and cleaned the internal part of the safety and hammer block and found that I had missed a lot the first time I cleaned it. After that, it was as smooth as silk. All I used on it was Breakfree CLP, cleaning patches and Q-tips. Afterwards, I always spray everything with canned air, the kind you blow out keyboards with.