Remmy 870 Super Mag & Stevens/Savage 320 12 gauges

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by Pancho_Villa, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Picke up a couple of good shotguns at the show last weekend. Both were swapped in on some low buck revos that I had given @ a bill for each. Show was packed on Saturday, but little trading. Had people constantly at my table. Sunday started slow, but got hot after the lunch crowd came in.

Got this Remmy 870 Super Mag in the 3.5" 12 ga. shells that kill on both ends. It will fire 2 3/4" field and 3" mag loads as well. Makes it versitlle. Had a 3.5" Mossy 835 beofe, but didn't like it cause the barrel was not removeable. This one has a barrel that comes out like any other 870. Finish is black metal and poly. Didn't know why the guy wanted to swap it for a pot metal .38 spl. I had untill I checked the gun well. When I pulled the slide back the forend came off. Apparently the owner and his genius buddy did not know the barrel came off and that the ring nut just screwed back on the slide. I gave then the old gunshow B.S. about trying to swap me a "broken gun." and it would cost me to repair it. Hit him up for the gun and 60 bucks wheich he gave up. I had it working 5 minutes after he left.

I ran a few of the 2 3/4" standard field loads through it when I got home. It has a scew in choke, type unknown yet. Bead front sight, vent rib, crossbolt safety, and 28" barrel. have several boxes of the killer 3.5" ammo from the last gun I had. Proabably will not use much of it, No. 3 steel for ducks I guess. We don't have ducks in south Texas. They just migrate through here.

[​IMG]

The other gun is a suppose to be unfired Stevens/Savage model 320 12 ga with an 18.5" barrel. Black matte finish, black poly P grip stock. It will take up to 3" shells which is enough for me. Alreday have a Mav. 88 that is much the same, but I think I will keep both. The Mav88 has a regular stock which I am use to. It was a bit hard to get use to pumping the Stevens with the P-grip on it. After looking at the gun, it is much the same as the old Winchester Model 1200/1300 series of guns. Same rotating bolt lockup to lugs in the barrel. Very strong lockup. I have a Winchester 1200 that is from the 60s and it still works just fine. Barrel and receiver are copies as well as the action, bolt carrier and ejecotr. Crossbolt safety that I am familiar with o my old gun. I like it and it worked perfectly well. Previous owner wanted to swap it for a low bucks revo to carry and no one else in the show would swap him. I tot it along with 40 bucks. Got the box paperwork and warranty card. Slide showed no sighns fo wear, so it could be unfired like he said. Only fired it with the 2 3/34" field loads cause I was down to 10 rounds of 00 for the Vav.88 and this gun. Gotta get some more buck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. David

David Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Are you looking to sell either?

3. Pancho_Villa

Sorry, but no. I will be keeping the short gun. My bro has dibs on the Super Mag. Another guy I know has a nice Remmy Wingmaster he wants to swap. Kinda want it, but it is an old one like one I have and it only shoots 2 3/4" shells like mine. I can get it for 150 anyway, so I might just buy it and try and talk my brother out of his NORINCO SKS and some $ of course. Then everyoen will be haoppy and I can still use the Super Mag when I really need it. Probably never would need it anyway.:D

4. hotshott

hotshott The "Bass-Tard" Son

I like the Stevens. The remi 870 is sweet as well. I just found an Ithaca model 37 w/26in barrel. I originally have the 28 and 30 inch models. The 26 gave me the full set of 3 which I now can swap as a set. I'm working on a Benelli Super Black Eagle. I may have to throw in a S&W M&P 38. I had 4 and I am down to 2. There nice to sweetin the pot when dealin.

5. Pancho_Villa

I like the Mod 10s &15s. They are really smooth and deadly accurate. Both have become kinda scarce around here. Alot of them turned up in the 80s and 90s at the gunshows. Mostly PD guns that were trade ins. Not any more. Guy came in with an M&P hand ejector at the last show early on Sat. Looked good, but may have been a retro, pencil barrel 4" with a round butt &wood. Action did nto feel right. Mainspring screw had been backed out to lighten the trigger which was no biggie. Still The DA and SA felt rough. He finally confessed that he had "action work" done on it. He was down to 2 bills on it , but I passed it. Just wasn't right. They make real good trading fodder now.

I like the Ithaca 37s also. Loads and ejects through the bottom, so it works for lefties sma as for righties. Recently sold one I had for years. It was an old 16 ga. that was used at a local hunting camp as a loaner before I had it. Barrel had been bent down about an inch in the front. Kinda had to aim wierd with it to hit anything according to the camp guide. I straightened it out wnen I got it and my F in law used it regularly for another 20 years. It had the older grooved forend. An older gun trader know I had it and he finally talked me out of it. Ha a couple of the 12s older and newer too. Buddy of mine had one at the last show we eent to a later model in 12 ga. He had it at 450. Not for me at that price. think it is a 28" one. Said he was giving to his son rather than sell it to me cheap.:D

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013