Bersa Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how much time do you spend at the range? Is it once or twice a year, once a month or week? Also what is your reasoning? Do you go to practice, test a weapon or ammo or maybe just to have something to do?

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
Well, I guess I am always at the range cause I live ona small rancho. I can shoot our my back door if I want. I have a backstop in the back yard for rifles @ 100 yds. Shoot pistols there too. I usually shoot more during the fall spring cause I pick up alot of used guns in swaps at gunshows. I have to test fire them and see if they are alright. Some I keep some I just get to swap. Keep from getting bored with the same stuff that way. I don't really shoot alot at one time, just a few frounds ometimes to test one. Sometimes I shoot more often when I get some rifles that I put new scopes on or swap scopes. Then I have to rezero a few. Ablut the only time I shoot alot is when a buddy or relative comes over and wants to shoot several guns cause they have no place to shoot except for an indoor pistol range.

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
OK my friend, come shoot with me cause I shoot out my back door as well. The only difference is that I shoot ground hogs out my bedroom window for fun. After a couple of days the gang (Turkey Buzzards) start too circle and swoop down and eat them up. Now that's fun.:D

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Just wondering how much time do you spend at the range? Is it once or twice a year, once a month or week? Also what is your reasoning? Do you go to practice, test a weapon or ammo or maybe just to have something to do?
I try to shoot at least once a month if possible, use to shoot alot but have too many neighbors now. I do have a small pistol range set up in the back yard that i use my sig misquito for target practice few times a month if possible, it don't distrub the neighbors as much as my .40 does:D

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mules, what part of the country are you in that you can shoot in your back yard? I live in a rural area of New Jersey and I shoot ground hogs with a Marlin 22LR out in the back of my home. I know what you are talking about in that anything over a 22cal makes a lot more noise and I don't want to annoy anyone or draw attention to my home. Other than the ground hogs, I shoot at the range every couple of weeks just to keep my proficiency up.

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
range

I live in east Tennessee and i'm in a subdivision but i have 8 acres and it's out of the city limits. I have really good neighbors and most of them are gun owners also, i'm lucky that i don't have anyone behind my house that is close and most of the property is heavily wooded also. When i shoot the .22 i try to hold it down to about 50 to 100 rds at a time so i'm not out there long. When i want to play with the bigger guns i go to range about 10 miles from the house. It's a pretty primitve range but shoot all you want and they provide the targets for $10 for pistol or rifle. Its privite property and they aren't always there but worth the drive if they are. :D

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
Here are some pics of a couple of our yard pests. The white collared peccary or javelina. Don't know if they are in your areas, but there are plenty of them here. Ususlly travel in groups, seen as many as 15 together. Usually they grub around for acorns under some of the trees in the yard. Their main food is suppose to be prickly pear cactus.

Most of he time a larger "Tusker" will break away from teh group and come give the yard dogs some hell. Older ones have some sharp tusks that are up to a couple of inches lonc and they can cut the dogs up pretty bad. The [email protected] things have been declared game animals in Texas for a some years now, but they are still vermin to me. Can't afford to be patching up dogs all the time. They have not been around as much the last couple of years cause the neighbors a couple of miles away filled a cattle pond with water @ a half mile east of us and they are probably going to water there. They guys filled the pond to shoot doves. Ihey shoot almost every weekend, so I am sure they have thinned the population of the critters down by now.

A couple of the critters with my favorite rifle for the beasts. Named it the "Javenator." It is a Marlin Mod. 882 SS in .22 mag. I have bigger rifles, but the .22 mag puts them on their azzes. Wife has shot one tusker in the yard with her Ruger MkII. I have killed one with a J frame S&W .38 spl. and a High standard revolver. The Javenator has claimed @ 2 dozen of the critters.

These are froma few years back. Yeah, you can eat them if you like strong smelling meat. The males have a musk gland that stinks like hell. The females and little ones make pretty good tamales. They can get up to 30 or so lbs. Not exactly a pig, but more of a large rodent.:D

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
nice! I'm hoping to do some hog hunting in Oklahoma around the 1st of the year.

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
I don't hunt much anymore cause of my eyesight. Wish I still could. I just bust varmints when I can around here. Lotta whitetail bunint around here at big ranches. Most are leased by big $ ankees. But that is a major business for them. If I really want a deer, I can go pick one up for tamales every year at the fire dept. The ranches cull their "spikes" and excess does every year and give them away to the public.

My brothers and I have another 30 acre ranchito @ 40 miles south of here. It's about half way to the border. Lotta whitetail, hogs, javelina in there. However, some outfit from the Rig Grande Valley has bought up alot of the land around there for leasing and hunting and it's getting like a shooting gallery out there. There are deer blinds all around our little strip and we are in the middle. They have brush and we have clear land. So quess where they are shooting when no one is around. Which is most of the time cause it is kinda landlocked too. Just a dirt road going in there. No water, no electricity, no shelter, and not even cell service. Lotta smugglers coming through there now. Just about all my mother's family has left there or died. Grandfather has everal hundred acres that he divided between 10 out of 15 of his living children before he died. There are only 4 left in this area. Only one family still lives on the main part of the ranch @ 5 miles north of our "armpit of hell." It's way more desolate than where I live. Wife and I are the only ones left on this 22 acre place that belonged to her family. It's only a few miles out of town. Eveyone moved or is gone from here too. Just too much work to keep it up and lotta $.

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
I understand where your coming from, my eye sight isn't near as sharp as it use to be. I don't hunt alot either, Its so hard to find places to hunt anymore do to cost and too many people. I had never been on a hunt lease until i moved to tennessse i always had places to hunt in s.w. oklahoma.Hunt lease's have left a bad taste in my mouth because of the politics and i've been on 3 of them and after a couple of years the property was sold and we lost them after all the work we put into them so i'm no longer on any hunt lease's. I have a couple friends that told me i could hunt their places but getting the time off work is the tough part. I understand about places getting to be to much work, i'm looking to down size when i retire, it's hard in this day and time to find anyone that wants to work and help out especialy when it comes to manual labor.

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice pics Pancho.:D Nice Marlin too. I own a Marlin 795 semi that I use to shoot the ground hogs around here. I'll post some pics the next time I pop one. If you don't eat them what do you do with them? I leave the ground hogs where they drop. After about a day the gang (turkey buzzards) starts circling overhead and swoops down and eats them. Just curious as to what you do with them after you pop them?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I shoot with my wife near home at a private range for range ammo costs every other Thursday as CCW card holders are free on that day.

We shoot at my son's farm when we visit. Yesterday, BT 380 was shot with Win white box: flawless except a hard primer and when the second strike failed, I soaked the round in brake fluid to deactivate.

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hey Pancho, When are you gonna answer my question about those things (Pigs, almost pigs, not exacatly pigs, not quite pigs, maybe pigs, kinda pigs, sort of pigs, look like pigs, large rodents or whatever the heck thay are) LOL. If you do eat them, it's OK we still love you and won't be mad at you:D. We just want to know what you do with them after you pop them?????

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
I can't answer for him but I do like me some tamales!:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
Hey Pancho, When are you gonna answer my question about those things (Pigs, almost pigs, not exacatly pigs, not quite pigs, maybe pigs, kinda pigs, sort of pigs, look like pigs, large rodents or whatever the heck thay are) LOL. If you do eat them, it's OK we still love you and won't be mad at you:D. We just want to know what you do with them after you pop them?????
Well, I have made tamles long ago with the little ones. Not bad if mixed with pork roast. Same for the females. My F in law would roast them. I can make much better tamales with a half and half mix of venison and pork roast. Much less of a wild taste.

Most of the ones we killed in the yard were big males that were fighting with the dogs. Too smelly to do anything with them once they get to the aggressive age. The females don't get like that. They just stay back and watch. We leave them alone. The males are too smelly to leave in the yard cause sometimes they back the dogs up right up to the front door. Had one of the critters charge a mini van we were in once. The male "head of the pack" behavior I guess, or showing off. He did not show off for long.

The males usually go the route of your ground hogs after a short ride. Coyotes and buzzards have to eat too.:D

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Pancho, thanks, that sounds like something I would love to shoot out my back window. They are much larger than our ground hogs so the buzzars would have a field day with all that meat. From what you describe it sounds as if they can be very aggressive as well which makes it all the more fun. Man you got it made with that kind of shooting. I would love to spend a weekend shooting them varmits.:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts