Bersa Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went to the pistol range today to sight and break in my new Thunder 380 black matte. Bought it to replace my Ruger LCP. I really never liked carrying that little LCP pistol...it's easier to conceal and carry, but really nasty to shoot.

Put around 200 rounds of various brands of ammo through the Thunder, including Speer Lawman FMJ, DPX JHP, Federal Hydra-Shoks JHP, and Hornady XTP/JHP Customs. Had at least 10 FT feed with everything except the Hornadys and the Federals. Also a surprising amount of recoil for a .380. My 1911 .45 is actually more comfortable. See below.

Soooo, I also brought along my Rock Island Tactical .45 Full Size and put a couple hundred rounds through it...no FTF's, no FTE's...flawless and 100% reliable. A great Browning design that has withstood the test of time for over 100 years...too bad it's so large and heavy and impossible to conceal and carry.

The failures to feed and harsh recoil aside, I was really shocked at what a crappy trigger the Thunder has. It is one of the creepiest, grittiest triggers I've ever felt...and I've felt a lot of them. VERY inconsistent take up and reset...especially when pulling it DA...but even worse, in SA, it was impossible to tell when it was going to break and actually fire. It was never the same break twice in a row. Sometimes a little creep and grit or two then break, sometimes not. Maybe a few hundred more rounds will change that characteristic, but it's looking like it will require a trigger job to smooth it out. Very disappointing and annoying:mad:.

Before you flame me for comparing two completely different pistols...for those of you that have ever squeezed the trigger on a well made M1911 (or even not well made ones), you know what I'm talking about. It just doesn't get any better. But apples to oranges, I have to say the Bersa has got to have one of the worst triggers I've ever squeezed.

If anyone on the forum has figured out how to smooth the trigger (where and what to polish or file:confused:), please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just joined the forum and I'm a little late replying to this thread.
I just took my new bersa to the range today and shot 200 rounds of various
Ammo with no hiccups very pleased.
I did give it a through cleanning before I shot it.
Looks like they stuck it in a barrel of casmoline before they shipped it!
Forgot about the magazine disconnect a couple times.:)

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
Hey Ferdy, Ummm, not sure what to tell ya, other than give the BT380 time to break in. Bersa recommends either 200 to 300 or 300 to 400 (not sure) rounds for a break in period. Also, during break in I would stay away from the JHP and use only FMJ. At first I also had the FTF & FTE with JHP, but after a few hundred rounds or so of FMJ it started shooting like a dream. As far as the trigger, I got no complaints with my BT. My trigger pull is as smooth as a baby's a$$ and I've shot them all. Maybe a bit snappy on the recoil but it depends on the load your using. I'm pretty sure that once you give it a good break in with FMJ's things will smooth out. BTW I love my Bersa's, got a couple of them and no complaints.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts