Powder measures

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Pistol_Packin_Preacher, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Pistol_Packin_Preacher

Pistol_Packin_Preacher Well-Known Member

Hello Bersa brothers and sisters!

I am just getting into reloading.
    The last few years I have been picking up the supplies.
    Most all I have is RCBS.
    Press is Rock Chucker Supreme.
    Just had my first lesson last night!
    The gentleman who taught me on his bench uses a powder measure and a mechanical scale.
    I do have the slide scale and a RCBS Rangemaster 1500.

So I have two questions:

1) What am I looking for in a good powder measure? Do you have any that you would recommend? I will be reloading both rifle and handgun with the bulk being handgun. And I like to go the next step up so I am not starting to get it down and realize the next step up would take care of a lot more.

2) How accurate are the digital scales? Do you trust them? I realize my teacher was old school and he does not trust them. Yet my wife works at a chemical manufacturer and she talk to the plant employees and they felt digital scales were fine - you just made sure they were occasionally calibrated.

At this point I do not feel the need of a progressive press since I will not reload to those types of capacities.
    It is mostly for plinking, target, home defense, and self defense.
    I do want to get the best accuracy as possible.
    Main calibers I will be reloading are .357 Mag, 38 Sp, 9MM, .44 Mag, .44 Sp, .223, 5.56MM, .22-250, and .243.

Any advice in these areas is greatly appreciated.
    No matter how insignificant you feel it is, it may be significant to me!
    I have been perusing the reloading section of the forum reading about various components and tips.
    The thought of kidnapping Greg for a month did cross my mind!

God bless!!

Michael

2. Pistol_Packin_Preacher

Pistol_Packin_Preacher Well-Known Member

Warning against what???

While researching RCBS powder measures I see a warning at the bottom of the page for each one that states:

WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm.

http://www.rcbs.com/Products/Powder...s/Mechanical/Quick-Change-Powder-Measure.aspx

Anybody know about this or what the chemical is?
    I tried researching on the internet but find nothing.
    Something in the plastic?
    Supposed to contain BPA?
    Could it be the anti gun crowd attempting to throw an invisible wrench into a machine they do not like?

A quick check of Lee Powder Measures does not reveal a Cali Warning.
    http://leeprecision.com/classic-powder-measure.html

God bless!!

Michael

3. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Mabe favorite powder measure is the Lyman 55.

4. WarEagleEd

WarEagleEd Well-Known Member

I pretty much only use an electronic scale now. I have 2 PACT digital scales and they both are spot on with my Lyman M5 scale. I checked them against each other and they were pretty much spot on, too. I was looking at my records and came across these numbers. The first is comparing my first PACT scale with my Lyman M5 scale. I think I was weighing loaded .380 Auto rounds or maybe empty cases, I can't remember.
    1. PACT 144.4 gr.; M5 144.4 gr.
    2. PACT 143.7 gr.; M5 143.6 gr.
    3. PACT 143.6 gr.; M5 143.6 gr.
    4. PACT 144.1 gr.; M5 144.0 gr.
    5. PACT 142.9 gr.; M5 143.0 gr.
    6. PACT 143.8 gr.; M5 143.9 gr.
    7. PACT 144.6 gr.; M5 144.5 gr.
    8. PACT 143.1 gr.; M5 143.2 gr.
    After I got the second PACT scale I compared it with the first and got the following numbers:
    1. First PACT 308.5 gr.; Second PACT 308.6 gr. (second 20 gram check weight)
    2. First PACT 308.5 gr.; Second PACT 308.5 gr. (first 20 gram check weight)
    3. First PACT 161.7 gr.; Second PACT 161.7 gr. (chrome powder pan)
    4. First PACT 126.4 gr.; Second PACT 126.4 gr. (brass tone powder pan)
    5. First PACT 124.2 gr.; Second PACT 124.2 gr. (red plastic powder pan)
    I know this isn't a large volume of data, but with what measuring I did the PACT scales were within +/- 0.1 grain of the M5 scale and each other. That is the tolerance that PACT states for the scale and about what you will get when using a quality powder measure. Of course, with a powder measure you have to worry about the weight thrown changing as the volume in the hopper decreases, though a baffle in the hopper usually mitigates this.

I am satisfied with my PACT digital scales, but they are the only ones I have tried. I can't speak to the cheaper scales that are made in China (the PACT is made in the USA).

5. rond

rond Well-Known Member

If you set up your analog scale correctly it will be right on every time, the digital scales have a + or - tolerance factor.