Permits for teachers

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry & 2nd Amendment' started by levelcross, Jan 11, 2013.

1. levelcross

levelcross Well-Known Member

I am going to go the the LGS and ask about getting a CCW class up for teachers. To see if the instructor is willing to give the teachers a discount on the class and agree to put up a donation jar to help them pay for it. :cool:

So now I have to start calling on friends and family to see if they are willing to support this with donations of money and or ammo. I just thought that this might catch on and gain momentum in helping to keep our children safe at school. I know that we have to get it legal for the teachers to carry at school but the first step it to get the teachers to carry legally.

2. hilandr

hilandr thunder 380 CC owner

I think it's an awesome idea. Good luck with it. Where are you located'?

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

A noble cause...wish you luck allowing them to carry on school grounds tho...

4. Cutlass327

Cutlass327 Well-Known Member

This is a good idea, even if they cannot carry on school property, to me just having more out there with permits makes a stronger point to the elected officials...

I have been told that teachers can carry at work in Ohio, but only after taking a course similar to LEO training - longer hours, more firing time, etc. Anyone know if this is true?

5. levelcross

Hilandr I'm just south of Greensboro, NC

Shooter, this will be up to the local government, hopefully they will see what a few others are doing to correct this.

Cutlass, I saw a brief story on this, yes it is in Ohio and they are allowing up to 4 teachers carry on school grounds after some intensive training.

6. perez

perez Member

Go. I work at a school and hate the fact that I can't even leave the gun in the car.

7. hilandr

hilandr thunder 380 CC owner

That blows Bro! Imagine how it would have been in the Connecticut shooting had there been a couple of carriers. If that really happened in the first place. I'm still skeptical.

8. BersaOwner

BersaOwner Well-Known Member

I would be willing to bet there are a lot more teachers with carry licences than they are willing to say. If we could get them some training maybe the schools would let them carry. I mean they are already in the schools on the payroll why not let them carry. I know a few bus drivers that have their CCL & they are not allowed to even talk about it.

9. perez

perez Member

Write your congress man and urge them to take down gun free zones and let chl holders carry at schools. Free security no more money needs to be spent.

10. BersaOwner

BersaOwner Well-Known Member

I think they need to make a law that anyone making a GUN FREE ZONE needs to be required to provide armed guards for that zone to keep it safe.

11. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

IMO, armed guards in gun free school zones makes more sense. It is suppose to be a gun free zone, and yet kids are still caught with guns in schools. We would be assuming that guards would be able to check and detect a concealed gun on a kid in school and not just stopping a random shooter.

Having taught secondary school for 5 yeatrs, driven a school bus for 4 years and then working juvenile cases for 20 more, kinda gives me some insight at least in this rural area. Wife was also an elementary teacher for 32 years. Many of the schools here had no fences or even security until about 5 years ago. Even so, the gates at all the entrances in the fence were OPEN until enough irate parents making threats of violence forced the district to order the gates closed. After that, anyone entering had to check in, but there was still no armed security. Just an off dury officer in a unifoerm with a radio at her elementary and one in a guard house checking cars at the local high school. Not armed either. Older kids still drove cars in with guns in them. At least if the guys at the high school had firearms, he might stop a random shooter that had no business there at the check in.

The bus runs I did were whole other story. Rural areas, rough people, kinda wish I was armed. Like a bunch of drunks wanting to bash me over the head with axe handles cause I ran over their old coon hound. Don't know why they sent me to pick up their kids cause they hardly ever went to school. When they were there, they usually got suspended. Also would have to worry about being disarmed by fighting gang kids. Potential lawsout there if anyone got shot with a weapon I lost control of. They finally got a bus monitor to do discipline while I drove. The monitor gave up and quit after 2 months.

Even with all the training needed, there is always the possibility of someone loosing control of a weapon in the school. I am assuming that concealed carry for teachers would be all the time. Or check them in or out at the office like an overhead projector? Ya just can't "leave it in yer desk" like like your stapler while ya go to the bathroom. Gotta take it. Or to just tell another teacher that doesn't carry or student to hold your gun for you while you go stop a fight.

yeah, concealed carry at school had crossed my mind at times cause I was there for a while. Not as long as my wife, but I still handled some of the crininal garbage that the school couldn't handle after I started working for the court system.

But even if I was teaching again and allowed to carry, I would be uneasy about actually doing it. i would do my best at keeping my weapon under my control at all times.. But would everyone else that was carrying be as responsible with their weapon? Supervising kids, monitoring, grading, etc. is what teachers are suppose to do. Now I would be adding the job of an armed LEO. Not really what a teacher is suppose to there for.

Just some variables I thougt I would throw in the mix from my perspective.

12. David

David Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

This is a good read. Very well said.

13. levelcross

Good read Pancho, I don't feel it is the teachers responsibility to protect our children, but I do feel that is our school systems responsibility. If the teachers want to carry at school and are qualified I would be good with that.

The gross lack of Parenting for a generation of brats that have been raised by the TV set and at the local mall instead of by the parents. Not being taught the difference between right and wrong or accountability for you're own actions, and a total loss for the value of human life are the problems that need to be addressed. Bring back the good old behind the wood shed whoopings that I got as a kid and a lot of this crap will disappear.