Featured New Ruger EC9S

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by Pistol_Packin_Preacher, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Pistol_Packin_Preacher

Pistol_Packin_Preacher Well-Known Member

Ruger just continues pumping out new firearms.
    Their R&D team must never sleep!
    Ruger has released a new carry size 9MM close in size to many of the .380 firearms sold today.
    It has a 7+1 capacity.
    Striker fired.
    Integrated sites.
    Same dimensions as the LC9S.
    Differences being the LC9S slide is blued while the EC9S slide is oxidized.

Oh yes, one other minor difference, EC9S MSRP is $299 while the LC9S MSRP is $479.
    Expected to sell for around $220 to $230.

http://www.guns.com/2017/12/21/ruger-brings-new-299-ec9s-compact-9mm-to-market/

https://ruger.com/products/ec9s/specSheets/3283.html

God bless!!

Michael

Pancho_Villa likes this.
  2. JackStraw

JackStraw Well-Known Member

Pancho_Villa likes this.

3. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Sounds good. Gives me an excuse to buy another Ruger. Like I need anexcuse.

Aleady have the LC9 and the LC9s, but what the hell. Wonder if they will make a cheaper LCP.

Saw a first model LCP selling new at a gunshow last weekend for 199. The new model was 70 buack more.

4. JackStraw

I got one for 217 and I put it on top of my Bersa Thunder 380CC and the Ruger with the pinky grip on it is identical in size to the thunderCC without the pinky grip. Of course the Ruger is 9mm and has 7 rounds while the cc has 8.

5. Renaldo

Renaldo Well-Known Member

It's an interesting pistol at that price! $217 for Ruger 9mm is a very good deal.

How does it shoot? I imagine it has a bit of a twang to it due to size and weight, but maybe not.

6. JackStraw

I don't think it kicks any more than a Bersa--probably less. I didn't notice any kick actually and on my Bersa Thunder CC I usually do notice how it hurts my hand, so it is probably less on the Ruger.

It is very accurate like the Bersa. It shot very well. I notice the LC9S can be had for not much more but I do like the EC9S. I am now curious about the Ruger Security 9 which is a glock 19 sized gun but I don't want to expand my collection really although it is tempting.

7. Tarheelcracker

Tarheelcracker Member

These Rugers, SA only or DA/SA ?

8. JackStraw

the EC9 is striker fired and I think the other one has a hammer in it but I believe it is pre-cocked. Just found the EC9 for 209 delivered.

9. Tarheelcracker

Tarheelcracker Member

I guess I'm too much of a novice to understand your answer. Shame on me.

10. Renaldo

I've seen it locally for $239. Trying to figure out if this is a worthwhile firearm for me. I've got an LCP and this seems to be a slightly bigger version of that for 9mm. Not that that's a bad thing, but not sure that it does me anything extra worth $239.

Striker fired is going to be SA. SA/DA or DAO is going to have a hammer (whether you can see it or not). This has a striker.

11. Renaldo

Coincidentally, I've been looking at single stack 9mm's off and on for the last year or so. Looking at what's been available, I had been considering the Beretta Nano on the higher end of the spectrum and the Taurus 709 SLIM on the lower end of the spectrum.

Curious as to what people think of the Taurus 709 vs the Ruger EC9S, if people have experience with one or the other. Please, no unhelpful Taurus bashing. You can do that in the privacy of your garage with your dog or other loved ones. ;)

12. Pistol_Packin_Preacher

Pistol_Packin_Preacher Well-Known Member

Good morning all of my friendly and faithful Bersa brothers and sisters!

Hey Renaldo!
    I have spoke to our friends that own the gun shop and asked him to reserve the first EC9S that comes thru the door for me.
    He stated "Will do."
    So now is just the waiting game for these models to hit the stores.

Maybe three months ago we purchased the Taurus 709 from the same store.
    Was not looking to do so but Taurus must have had an over abundance of these made and offered a brand new one for $179 for one week.
    We grabbed one up.
    I like the 709 a lot.
    Only put maybe 100 rounds through it with no failures of any variety.
    The only thing with it is with the mag loaded and you hit the mag release button it only drops maybe 1/4 on an inch and you have to get your fingers into the small crevice and pry it out.
    The empty mag pops right out when the release button is hit.
    I will have to purchase a second mag to see if it is a mag issue.

As always, great to hear from a NW US Bersa brother!

God bless!!

Michael

Renaldo likes this.
  13. Renaldo

Thanks for the feedback!

If you don't already have one, try a silicon cloth. At the end of a cleaning I've made it a practice to wipe the metal parts of a pistol down, as well as the magazines and the inside of the mag well. It can definitely make a difference with loading and unloading them.

I'll be watching for your review of the EC9S when you get it!

14. Pancho_Villa

Having owned a few Taurus autos, doesthat qualify me to make a few comments on my experiences with certain models?

Starting with the Millenium 9 back in 2001 IIRC. It was my first polymer frame gun. DA only and double stack. It was a bit hard to control due to the long trigger pull and thin trigger. Accurate enough for SD work and it never failed on me. That one shot to the POA which was not the case for many of hte others.

Not long after that, I got a used Kel-Tec P11 9 mil double stack and later a SCCY. They were much the same as each other. DA only and accurate enough for SD work if you could control the triggers. Found all 3 to be knda fat for pocket carry except in a jacket. Not great range gun and heavy when fully loaded.

Then came the Kel-Tec PF9 single stack. I decided to get the smaller P-3AT, but had to settle for a P-32 cause I could not find a .380 at the time. It worked well, but the caliber did nothing or me. Anyway, it was really small & easy to carry. Got a Taurus TCP .32 after that and it was much the same. Both guns were DA only and really hard to hit with exceept at close ranges. Still, they were grat to hide and I used them for a while.

As far as the larger Taurus guns, I got a Millenium Pro 9 later. It was DA/SA. with a second stike capability in DA.

Got another one in .45cal cause I liked the first one. They were both reliable and accurate, but had a tendency to shoot 6-8 inches too low. Again, too heavy fully loaded for pocket carry, I went back tothe .32s and started loking for a single stack 9. The Ruger was avaiable by then and was suppose to be a copy of Kel-Tec/s PF-9.

During all this time, I had used several Bersa .380s. Reliable as hell, but again, heavy.

While looking at the single stack 9s, I stumbled on a Taurus TCP .380 in a swap. It was great and kept me from getting the Ruger LCP. I did get the first LC9 about the same time,b ut usually carried the TCP cause of the lighter weight. Both were fully reliable for me. Can';t complian about the TCP shooting too low. It shot where I aimed it. And the LC9 did also. Both are DA, hammer fired. However, the trigger pull is much better than the early guns I owned back at the turn of the century.

Now, I have the LC9s and my son has th eold LC9. The TCP got swapped for a Beretta Bobcat .22. Cost of ammo the big factor. Might still get another lgitweight .380. It will probably be the LCP.

I had thought about getting a Taurus 709 just cause the cost was low. However, I was still bugged by the low shooting of the sights. I have experienced that with a couple of Taurus Mil-Pro .40s, a second Mil-Pro .45, a Pt-1811 .45, two different high cap .380s, and one PT-24/7 in .45. Only one that failed mechanically is the 24/7. The decocker safety quit working on the first shot. It would decock itself.

I have 2 Taurus revolvers and still have one auto that I have had for yeas. It is the PT-100, the Bereeta 92 clone. It has adjusable sights, so it can't shoot low.. And I recently sold a second PT1911 that shot to the POA. That one had replacement Trijicon sights on it and a trigger job. Great shooter, but the ambi safety did not work well.

Have a good one!!!!!

15. Renaldo

I've had mixed experiences with Taurus, but nothing that would keep me from buying one. I've got a PT22 that I love, one of Beretta tip up barrel knock offs before Taurus started making it in a modified poly frame. I carry it on occasion, but only when I want to carry that gun, not because I think .22lr is a great defense round. Maybe a bad idea, I know. But, odds...

I had bought a TCP 380 used, and had nothing but trouble with it and eventually sold it. The mag would pop out when I fired, my problem I know, but unavoidable as it was just where my hand had to be. I also suspect the previous owner did some work to the trigger because there was barely and resistance on it, which I didn't feel comfortable with for carry. This gun was my main Taurus bad experience, and I don't think most of the bad experience had to do with Taurus, so I don't have any blame. Anyway, I replaced it with an LCP and am happy.

I also own a Taurus .38spl Poly Protector. I inspected it in store, looked great. At home that evening, I was looking at it and a screw and two thin parts fell out of the frame near the trigger, totally on their own. I hadn't been messing with screws or anything like it. Whatever the parts were, they were what kept the cylinder locked and synced to where it should be. I had to send the whole brand new gun back the next day. Not fun with any new toy, terrible when an unfired firearm falls apart in your hand. To their credit, Taurus fixed it and had it back in my hands in less than 2 weeks. Since then, I've put I don't know how many rounds through it problem free. It's a woods gun for me and one I keep in my bedroom, so apparently I trust it. My main gripes with it are the lack holsters and smaller grips for it.

I've also got a SCCY CPX-2, which is my main EDC if it's not my LCP, depending on what I'm wearing. I like the SCCY, and while I've read about problems online, I've been problem free. Mine is black on black, and it seems like most of the problem stories come from a colored frame with a stainless slide. Whether that's true or just observationally true I don't know. I prefer 9mm over 380, but I'm not a fan of doublestack mags. The SCCY is okay, but something thinner would be nice. I don't mind sacrificing 3 rounds for a single stack So while I'm not actively looking to replace it, the right single stack 9mm is something I'm always on the lookout for. I'm not fan of Kel-Tec, so likely won't ever own one outside of their .32 maybe one day. So the Taurus 709 and Ruger EC9s look interesting for now.

16. Pancho_Villa

My gunshow buddy boutht a SCCY CPX-2 nine months ago cause the price was 219. It seemed to be pretty much the same as the one I had years ago. Slide seemed slimmer and the finger grooves were not on my old gun. In the last 9 months the gun sales have been slow at the gunshows. The SCCY dropped to 2 and was down to 179 at the last show. He almost bought another just for the hell of it.

I had homlook around while I watched our stuff at the table. Told him to checkout the LCPs and he found a new first model for 199. The second gen was not alot more. I just ain't much for the .380 anymore cause of the small single stack 9s.

Also have a S&W Shield 9 that I got in a swap a few years ago. I like it too, but it is just a bit bigger ovverall than the LC9s. It is easier to control than the Ruger.Shoots very well. It's like new. Recently looked at some new ones at the last show and the older moels like mine were down to 339. Trigger is nice, striker fired. and the sights are nice, a bit larger than the LC9. It is perfectly reliable,b ut the slide was a bit harder to rack. My daughter preferred the Ruer over the S&W. cause she could rack the Ruger and it was lighter and fit her hand better. Recoil was not much different.

Only other gun that you could consider a sub compact auto is a G27 in .40 cal. I had looked at Glock 26s in 9 mil, but had decided against it ina new gun cause of the cost. Maybe if one turned up used at a show. Yeah, it's a bit fat, but much like the double stack Taurus Mil Pros, SCCY, & Kel-Tecs. Definely an IWB or coat pocket gun. I got it cheap off a guy coming into a gunshow for 3 bills with all it's goodies. He said it recoiled too hard and he couldn't hit nothiing with it. I could live with it at that price. It's just not a really liight or small gun when fully loaded.

17. JackStraw

I have both of these, the Taurus and the Ruger. I had light strikes on my Taurus and sent it in and it works great now. I have not done a side by side shooting comparison but yes they are very similar. I suppose they are sort of redundant guns so if you have the 709 you don't need the Ruger but I find the Ruger to be very accurate and I am using it with the pinky extensions. I don't think the Taurus has them natively but they have to be bought third party whereas with the ruger you get both. The Taurus has second strike capability. The Ruger may be better trigger wise for accuracy.

I found the Ruger to be super accurate like my bersa cc. Also, I like the hard iron sights as I am not into adjusting them. There are no dots on the ruger sights though.

Another one to consider which is totally awesome and maybe you can get it for a good deal is the Kahr CM9. It is dinky but so accurate! One less round though. depends what you want for capacity etc.

there are tons out there. I have the Walther CCP which is like a Thunder in that it has the same barrel arrangement with it fixed inside. A lot of people prefer the PPS and it can be had for about 300.

My SCCY was a piece of garbage but after I sent it in it works great!.

I have sent every taurus but the PT-92 and the revolver back to Taurus and they came back working great. Just wish these companies would send them out working great instead of having to ship them back. The Taurus has the best service though as they pick up the bill on shipping and send you a label and they send it back to your house.

Renaldo likes this.
  18. JackStraw

After shooting the two, the Taurus and the Ruger, I would choose the Ruger. I just like it better. Also, the 709 is discontinued so you might not keep seeing them. People get the PT111G2 instead because they are the same size and the G2 is nicer (grip wise and looks) and has 12+1. Not much more money either.

19. Renaldo

This is kind of what my research has been showing, and kind of what I expected to hear here too. The Ruger seems to have the edge over the two, which isn't necessarily all that surprising.

20. Pancho_Villa

Guess that is why I have owned alot of Rugers and still have 15 of them. Well, I do get rid of one sometimes. Especially if I have a duplicate.

I have also owned alot of Taurus guns, but only have kept 3 of them. I don't send them back. I get rid of them.