New Bersa owner here.... Just bought a Thunder .22

Discussion in 'General Bersa Discussion' started by jaxgunslinger, Oct 31, 2013.

1. jaxgunslinger

jaxgunslinger New Member

Just bought a used Thunder 22. Anyone have any experience with this model. I'm looking for info on what ammo works best, any mechanical issues I might run into that kinda thing. Thanks in advance......

2. jpshaw

jpshaw Well-Known Member

Every gun seems to have its own favorite. You will just have to try several brands to see which one yours likes. Congradulations on your new Bersa BTW.

3. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!
    Ditto on the ammo recommendation.

4. LT2108

LT2108 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporter

Welcome to the forum !

5. bmarg711

bmarg711 Gold Member

Mine was really selective in the ammo that it would cycle until i changed over to Hornady One Shot dry lube.

Now anything hot cycles well.

6. 9UC

9UC Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome and congratulations on the 22lr. I have the Bersa manufactured Fire Storm version. I use CCI 36 and 40 grain without any issues. I use Finish Line Teflon Dry lube. It's actually a lube that was designed for professional grade racing bicycle chains. First heard about it from a senior moderator on another Bersa forum.

7. ruger94

ruger94 Member

I just picked mine up today as well...thunder 22 nickel . Will be keeping an eye on the thread. i was able to pick up a brick of CCI Velocitor rounds from MidwayUSA....everyone says they work just fine.

8. grand_cru

grand_cru Grand_cru

CCI works for me

I've had good luck with CCI Mini Mags or CCI Stingers. Having shot over 2K rounds between these two I've yet to experience a Fail to Feed or Fail to Eject--maybe that's saying as much about the firearms I've put them through: a Walther P22 a Ruger 10/22 and a GSG 1911 style. I clean my arms after every use and am amazed at how much dirtier lead bullets are vs the CCI products mentioned here. Just my opinion based on a little experience...

9. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!

You are going to like your BT22. It is easy to shoot well making it a truly fun gun to own. Mine does great with anything CCI makes, Remington Golden Bullets and Federal AutoMatch.

Keep the mags clean.

How about a range report? And a pic is always welcomed.

10. Newb380

Newb380 Active Member

I'm new to the forum. I just purchased a BT 380; took it to the range once; was very happy with it. Recoil was a little much for my wife. I would like to get her a .22. Since that ammo is so scarce I would like something that shoots about any brand. I was looking at the BT .22, but it sound like they are very particular. Do they get better after they are broken in? How long do they take to break in? Thanks

11. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Dutchboy is our current BT22 guru. I'm sure he will be along shortly. I was in the market for a Bersa 22, but ended up with a Sig Sauer 938-22. My LGS gave me a deal I could not pass up.

I do understand the BT22 likes high velocity ammo, but I seem to recall Dutch saying it settled down and eats about anything now.

I still find myself lusting for a BT22 and will probably get the duo tone model sooner or later just because I like the BT380 so well.

Another option would be the Ruger SR22. My dad has one, but it will not eat Federal. My Sig will not eat Winchester. I guess they are like kids, some eat carrots, some won't!

By the way. Welcome from North Carolina!

12. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw Well-Known Member

The BT 22 works best with copper plated ammo rated at 1200+ FPS, which still leaves you with plenty options.

13. dutchboy

dutchboy Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey Newb, welcome to the forum. Qwiksdraw is correct about the BT22 and copper plated ammo. Stay away from Subsonic ammo (1080) FPS and Standard ammo (1125) FPS as they will give you many "Boo Boo's as I call them. The BT22 works best with High velocity and Hyper velocity ammo.

High velocity (1200) FPS may even give you a few problems, as I'm currently shooting up some High velocity (1260) FPS ammo that gives me a few Boo Boo's every now and then. My BT22 works perfectly with no problems using CCI copper plated Hyper velocity (1640+) ammo. Also, I would put about 300 or so rounds through it before I would consider it broke-in. BTW, I love my BT22 and use it as my practice gun.

14. Newb380

Newb380 Active Member

Thanks for the info. I really like my bersa 380 and would love to have the 22lr for the cheaper ammo and for my wife to shoot. With the shortage of ammo, I'm concerned about the ability to find ammo that will work in the bersa. I've read that after the break in period the gun is more acceptable to other ammo. Is that true? Is there any advise that anyone has to make the bersa more open to shooting a greater variety of ammunition? I'm also looking at the Ruger SR22 any thoughts?
    Thanks again.

15. dutchboy

Newb, I shoot my BT22 at least once a week and must have several thousand rounds throught it, so it's well broken in by now. I think the BT22 was designed this way, to shoot High & Hyper velocity ammo through it. As I said in my previous post I still get a few boo boo's using (1260) FPS ammo. Subsonic and standard velocity ammo are going to give you problems, even after the break-in period, in that again, the BT22 was design to shoot high and hyper velocity ammo only.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  16. mulescj8

mulescj8 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I don't have a .22 in the bersa but do own a .22 sig sauer auto it won't cycle on anything but the CCI ammo. Keep them clean and don't go over board with the lube. You might look at a .22 revolver for her, they will run pretty much any .22 ammo, low recoil and fairly cheap. Most of the .22 autos that I've own pefer the hotter CCI mini mags. I just bought quite a bit of it online for my sig. There is alot of it online depending on what your willing to pay for it.

17. dutchboy

Good points mule. Didn't even think about a wheel gun! Simple and easy to use and you can pretty much shoot any velocity of ammo in them!

18. mulescj8

mulescj8 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

.22 revolers are great for getting someone introduced into shooting sports, very relible, low noise and recoil and they can be found for a reasonible price. I would stay away from the mini revolers tho and go to something with a full frame and 3 to 5 inch barrel for someone just starting. They will run any .22lr round and hey they are just fun to plink with.

19. dutchboy

Hey Newb, I'll piggy back on what mule said about buying ammo on line. I seem to have much better luck finding Hot or Hyper velocity ammo on line rather than in the gun shops around my area. I'm able to buy anywhere from 500 to 1000 rounds or more of CCI Copper Plated Hyper Velocity ammo on line with no problems whatsoever!

20. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

The SR22 is a sweet gun. I only have two complaints, the DA trigger pull is somewhat heavy, and they put the safety on upside down!. My dad has one and it's a hoot to shoot, and accurate to boot. Really if you like the BT22, I think you will find the SR22 is like a first cousin. The safety/deckocker operates much like the Thunder, push down to decock and deactivate the trigger, push up to fire. The first shot will be double action so it is just as safe to carry as a revolver. That is unless you thumb cock the hammer.

It eats almost anything except Federal bulk pack, doesn't like those too much.