Bersa Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
I just finished taking the weapon down and started cleaning it. Needless to say, it was filthy. I removed the grips to get a look at the Frame, and it was pretty messy too. I also noticed that the Hammer Pin Washer was not held in place by the Drawbar Retention Ring (small C-clamp, parts 58 & 59 of the owners manual for the Thunder Plus). I got EXTREMELY lucky in that I found the Drawbar Retention Ring laying at the bottom of the Frame! Put that back together and decided to take an even closer look.

Fortunately everything looked correct, so I went ahead and gave it a good COMPLETE bath in my ultrasonic parts cleaner. I used Dawn and very hot water and let it cook for 8 minutes.

The water was really dirty. This was AFTER I had just field-cleaned the gun. I was surprised at how dirty it was. I clean all my guns and parts in this fashion and I can't recall seeing water that dirty. I used my air compressor to blow-dry everything, then sprayed everything down with a very liberal amount of WD-40, and hit it with the air compressor again. Once everything was nice and clean, I then lubricated it with Mobil 1 synthetic.

I was surprised at how many friction points there are on the gun. I bought this gun back in Dec of 2015, but never really shot it a lot (my favorite calibers are .40 and .45). I'm guessing that I've got about 1,200 rounds total (including today) through the gun, so I haven't really shot it much. I never broke the gun down to this level to clean it; always just standard field-stripping of it.

Now that I've gotten a good look at it and thoroughly cleaned it, I'm going to take it back out to the range and give it another chance. There's a good chance that the problem was what we used to call in the USAF "a cockpit error".

Funny, after looking closely at it today, it's kinda growin' on me ;)

·
Registered
891 Posts
Funny, after looking closely at it today, it's kinda growin' on me ;)
tcpip95 - That is what we like to hear.
For the most point everyone here enjoys their Bersa firearms.
Most likely everyone has other guns they like as well and non-Bersas may even be their true favorites.
But the one tie here is their Bersa firearm and we are glad you are starting to enjoy yours a little more.
Please, keep us updated with how it handles since it had a good scrubbing.
Thanks for sharing!

God bless!!

Michael

Reactions: Beowulf

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So after 3 years I thought I’d give everyone an update. I’ve been shooting this guy fairly regularly over this time and I’m happy to report that it runs like a sewing machine. Regular use and cleaning has turned it into my favorite .380 in my collection. it just keeps shooting. If I do my job it does his.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts