Bersa Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range yesterday. Had not been in a few years. Pretty much shot the entire gun safe. Every weapon fired and cycled normally. I put about 10 magazines through my Thunder Plus without incident. Then a jam.

The slide is only slightly open (1/8"). I can see a brass casing. The slide will not move at all. Totally frozen. The hammer was in the cocked and locked position. I was able to drop the hammer down and put the safety on. The decocker doesn't have any effect.

What I don't know:

1. Is that an empty brass casing, or is it a live round.
2. Is that an empty brass casing AND a live round in the chamber.

I'm suspecting that it's #2. I think the brass casing that I'm seeing is an empty, and that I have a live round in the chamber.

I've tried removing the slide but it's not budging.

About ready to go find a Bersa gunsmith in the SW Florida area but thought I'd ask here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
OK, update. It's a live round that did not appear make it into the chamber. Using a flashlight and a mirror, I was able to look down the barrel and confirm that there is a copper-tipped bullet. I inserted a cleaning rod into the barrel and measured the distance from the end of the barrel to the obstruction. I then compared that length to the outside of the barrel/slide and can see where the bullet tip is. It measures perfectly with a similar round.

So I know that is a live round jammed in there.

@tarheeelcracker, don't recall. My brother-in-law was shooting it at the time, I was watching him shoot, but don't remember what specifically happened. He simply said the gun jammed.

1st pic shows cleaning rod inserted into barrel.
2nd pic shows how far cleaning rod went in (taped off where it stopped).
3rd pic shows where bullet is inside slide.
4th pic shows close up of how much slide is open.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Office equipment Font Publication Trigger Number

·
Registered
891 Posts
I am not a gunsmith!

But I understand and like what rond was stating.
Safety on, cleaning rod in barrel, tap the end of the cleaning rod a little to see if you can loosen the round that way.
This way you are attempting to back it out and you are coming from the non-primer end.
Anyone who has more experience have thoughts on this?

God bless!!

Michael

Reactions: Toakey

·
Registered
891 Posts
Good point WEE.
Did the gunny state why this occurred and did he give you back the cartridge and state it was still usable?

Once we were shooting .22s with friends.
They own a gun store.
One of the Winchester White Box loads had the bullet tip in on an angle.
Perfect design for shooting around trees.
Also, typical WWB that I have experienced.
My wife had the Taurus Tracker .22 in hand and was fearful of firing it.
The store owner/friend stated it was fine to shoot.
She handed it to him and said have at it.
He shoot it and it was fine.
Just a fun little Christmas/bullet story!

Amazing fact (in my mind): The gun store owner and wife have worked at/owned the store for over 40 years and until that point just several years ago they had never fired a semi auto of any sort until we brought our Beretta U22 Neos.
If I owned one I would be trying everything!!!
They even live alone in the country where they had the back yard to try them.

God bless every one!!

Michael

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did the gunsmith offer any suggestions as to why this happened?
No, he didn't. I got the bad bullet back, but there was nothing "obvious" to me. The gun is now on my "naughty" list as I don't trust it - even though I'm 99.44% positive it was the ammo and not the gun. I'm starting a rehab program for it - lots of range time with a lot of ammo. I just placed an order for 1,000 rounds of CCI Blazer Brass 95 gr FMJ that I'll be running through it. I'll mix in my Hornady XTP 90 gr carry ammo as well as some Buffalo Bore 100 gr +P cast that I normally mix in each magazine. Will probably mix it 70% CCI, 25+ Hornady, and 5% Buffalo Bore. I love the gun but just need to feel confident in it again.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Was the round that was fired before your jam a "+P" round?

I put "+P" in quotations as there is no SAAMI standard for .380 Auto +P ammunition.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I personally think that running 1000 rounds thru a gun before you trust it is like driving a new car 50,000 miles before you trust it. You could buy a new gun for what you are about to spend. After 1000 rounds you can start to worry about the extractor, recoil spring, mag springs, c clip etc. It is a mechanical device an subject to wear. I would definitely contact the smith that worked on it and ask him what he thinks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A new gun doesn't mean a reliable gun. 1,000 rounds through a gun will have little to no wear and tear on it. This is done over a period of a couple of months. Shooting, cleaning, inspecting, and adjusting as I go along. While this is going on, I'm carrying one of my other guns that I have confidence in. In fact, if the gun begins to have reliability issues during this time frame, then I've got to make a decision whether to keep, it, sell it, or make it a project gun, but it won't become an EDC gun at that point.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I tend to agree more with Silverbullet. After 200 rounds you should know if the gun will go bang when you pull the trigger. Upon getting a new gun you should cycle various ammo through it to see if it is ammo picky, but honestly with today's engineering capabilities almost any gun SHOULD be reliable, of course I know some brands we all would be hesitant to just pick up one of their guns and have faith in it's reliability. Honestly though the reliability should be tested with the ammo that you will use for whatever the guns purpose is. For example if it is self defense then reliability should only be tested with self defense ammo. If you are competing with it then match ammo. Target ammo IMHO isn't made to the same standards as self defense ammo. If I am using cheap target ammo and I get a jam usually it's the ammo (or me) and not the gun. Any of my carry handguns I own, Bersa Thunder Plus, Bersa TPR9c, Steyr M9-A1, and Springfield 911, none of them have ever failed with self defense rounds. I rotate between these depending on my needs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I took it to the range today to begin rehab. It did much better than the last time, but I've still had a couple of FTEs that I'm not happy with. I shot about 100 rounds, a mix between FMJ and Hornady XTP. It FTE'd on both. I think I'm going to see if I can send it in to Dr. Bersa and have them take a look at it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I took it to the range today to begin rehab. It did much better than the last time, but I've still had a couple of FTEs that I'm not happy with. I shot about 100 rounds, a mix between FMJ and Hornady XTP. It FTE'd on both. I think I'm going to see if I can send it in to Dr. Bersa and have them take a look at it.
Sounds like something might have happened to the extractor? Just spitballing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts