Nagant M1895

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by hotshott, Jan 31, 2013.

1. hotshott

hotshott The "Bass-Tard" Son

Picked up a Nagant 1895 yesterday. 89.00 from JG sales on line. 20.00 additional for hand select and clean boar. My FFL transfer is 25.00 and only 3 miles from my home. 4 boxes of ammo and a plano revolver case to store it in. Once the cosmoline was cleaned off of it I was impressed. Great markings 1943 Tula arsenal and all numbers match. CAI. imports these pieces and distributes all over the country in bulk to whatever dealer wants to buy them. The local indoor range here sucks as a result of being overcrouded, but I may bite the bullit and go crack off a box or two. I will post some target pics. I enjoy shooting my BT380 but my love of revolvers will never die.:D

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  2. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Oh yeah, I like the old revos and new ones too. When I found my Nagant, it was just too cool and odd to pass up. Got it from an old CRuFFLer at a gunshow. He said he got it and did not like the trigger pull. The SA pull isn't real bad, the DA is pretty stiff. I did not have any of the ammo for it when I got it, so I fired some .32 Logs out of it. The cases swelled a bit, but it fired them o.k. Right to P.O.A. at 10 yds. Finally got the right ammo for it a few months ago, but I have not fired any of it yet.

Post some pics of your new/old pistola when ya get to the range. A range report on it would be interesting also. They are neat old guns.

My Nagant is a 1938 Tula, same importer as yours. It is in great shape. Got it for 90 bucks, what the old curio and relic FFL had paid for it. Kinda odd and archaic, but I like it.

[​IMG]

As long as I am in my photos, here is another weird one ya might like. Old military revos are neat. This is a 1939 British Enfield "Tanker" model No. 2 Mk 1* in .38/200 cal. or .38 S&W in the U.S. It is DA only. Spurless hammer for use in Bristish tanks. Top break, 5' barrel, lanyard ring was missing when I got it. It is in very good shape, perfect bore, and shoots to just below P.O.A. With the high cost of .38 S&W, I have not shot it much. Pre-wartime finish which is blue, wartime was black paint. Another odd, but not so archaic old revo.:D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Looking forward to seeing some pictures and a range report...

4. hotshott

My father was in the U.S. Army Chemical Corp. during the Korean war. He met a guy from Britain and they became very good friends. He sold my father an entire Enfield weapon set including the pistol you have posted. Set also included the WW2 Enfield rifle and all accessories. The rifle was set into a custom made case and the pistol is in the original holster. All the pieces have been restored to like new condition and are diplayed(proudly)at the Port Charlotte FLA. veterans hall. They trully are a piece of American history. Upon my fathers demise, I have been instructed to contact the vets lounge and give the authority to leave the weapons on display or to drive down to Florida to attend a retirement ceremony, at which time a new set of relic weapons will be put on display and honored. My father loved his guns. All paperwork has been transfered into my name to prove ownership.

5. hotshott

My brother has the Nagant. I have fired it many times. and I loved it.. I have been colecting guns with my father since I was 7 years old. I am 52 today. Not much I don't have or have had over the years. I don't own Tactical weapons or anything with extra cap mags. My choice. But I have rifles and pistols that are large caliber. I own 9 lever action Marlins that are all 45-70 and bigger. Not one is newer than 1980 and 2 of the Marlins are Centenial Models. One was a gift the other was a purchase. Marlin was bought out by Remington arms and the newer lever action Marlins (post 2005) have been nothing but trouble. I have a 30-06 Winchester bolt that was used twice for hunting and never fired. I have a 1979 Ithica ultra lite in 12ga. A Linberta 01LSTAC semi auto for home defence. And the rest are misc older war time riffles. Most of the pistols are again large caliber and most are Ruger or Smith & Wesson. 1 Iver Johnson, and my latest addition of 2 semi-autos The BT380 and the Hi-point C9....... My absolute favorite hand gun,,, The Ruger Bisley in 45 Long Colt. A buddy of mine shot this gun and it fractured his wrist. This piece is in my nite stand and loaded. I sleep pretty well in the evening hours.

6. hotshott

Snowing here in Chicago today. Drove by the range and the street has cars backed up to get into the range. I'll take another trip in the morning on Sunday to see if I can at least get into the door. I would love so much to move south and east near the Gatlinburg area of Tenessee. So when I wake in the morning, I can take my coffee out on my back porch and shoot my toys.. I have lived here my whole life and if it were not for my job and the income I would have left a long time ago.

7. hotshott

Ponco, I enjoy any old revolver. If only they could tell you where they have been .

8. Pancho_Villa

Will be waiting for that range report when ya get to the range. We are BBQing outside now. Dropped to about 70 degtrees. Could go out back and shoot, but maybe tomorrow. Been tinkering with a 92 Winchester lever gun in .44 WCF for a couple of weeks. Got it from an old friend, cheap. More info on it in the General guns section.

9. Ac_Man1962

Ac_Man1962 Member

Hotshott............. you say you got 9 Marlins... 45-70 and larger.... What are the larger calibers?...... I have a few Marlins also...... interested in what you got......

10. hotshott

AC-man I will need to go into my paper work and I can post a list of what I have . 1 - 450, a couple of 444, 1 22lr centenial the rest are 45-70.I'll get back to you. I also have a 444 centenial that was a conversion and does not fire. It was manufactured the same year I was born. Valued about 3800. This piece was a gift back when my father bought me my first legal beer.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  11. hotshott

I was weened on revolvers. Tried and true weapon design that has withstood the test of time. Reliable and durable. Hunted wild bore in the smokey mountains. We pulled numbers to hunt with local guides. 2 gun rig only no long guns. It was a blast. I did make the range this morning so a pic and report are coming soon.

12. hotshott

Range report Sunday 3rd, Feb.2013.

As much of a madhouse as it was at Article 2 range on Sunday, I hung around and waited my turn at the slot. I brought the Nagant pistol and my Hi-point C9. The Nagant is fun to shoot. I am however not impressed with the trigger pull in DA mode. Very tight. I sent a target down 20 yards and blasted away. Overall the target was hit with every shot. Again for me I am ok with the results. Their is room for improvement. All the holes outside the 9 ring were DA mode. I pulled the target in 5 yards and pre cocked the next 4 shots. The results were much more impresive. The pistol has been dropped off at my buddy who is a seasoned gun smith. The rest of the 2 hour window was spent blasting Zombie targets. My Nagant is a nice solid handgun and has made a very nice addition to the family. I also beleive it would make a very nice home defence handgun. My neighbor loves it and he is in law enforcement. The 7.62x38 will put you down if your on the business end of it. My wife would like to fire the Nagant due to its low recoil. She, unfortunatly won't go to the range indoors. She'll have to wait til April. I am more than happy to have gone. The winters around the Chicago area can drag on forever. A large group of us head to Buffalo Rock Range in Ottawa Ill. when they open in March. This range is all outdoors with newer covered shooting areas. Then most of us go on a regular basis. Good day was had by all.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  13. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the range report...!!

14. Pancho_Villa

Looks like good enough shooting to me. Thanks for the range report.

15. hotshott

Correction is being made to the year of manufacture on the Nagant pistol, 1941 and not 1943.

16. hotshott

Poncho, the groupings are close enough to be effective. The trigger pull is in DA mode is way beyond what should be normal. My buddy thinks a complete disassembly and cleaning should do the trick with a minor adjustment.

17. Pancho_Villa

A trigger job on a Nagant revolver.That would be something if it improves the DA trigger. don' know if anyone makes any lighter springs sets.

You can try. I have had 3 of these revolvers. They were all the same. An o.k. SA trigger and hard DA. It is common.

The DA trigger on the British Enfield revolver is almost as bad. And with that one you have no SA trigger. So ya have to deal the hard DA only.

18. hotshott

Posting at your request Poncho..

I have enclosed pics of the Nagant Revo. As well as the Mossin rifle. The pistol came back from my gunsmith with absolutly NO difference in trigger pull for DA mode. However the gun is spotless. It is not worth the time and cost to make it an easier pull. The gun cost me 89.00. I can live with it.

Attached Files:

19. Pancho_Villa

They are both in great shape. I got on a crazy kick and traded my last Mosin M44 over the weekend.

20. hotshott

Picked up a gun bible yesterday. Your No. 2 Mk. 1 in current condition is valued at 185.00. Nice history behind the piece.