Bersa Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I mentioned in my introduction a few days ago, I picked up my new TPR9c today. At the time there was only one Duo Tone available on GB, which is what I wanted, so had to spend a few extra dollars for that configuration.

Got her home, read the manual, field stripped/cleaned/lubed and reassembled. I'll take her for a spin at the range tomorrow and report back with my shooting impressions.

A few observations so far.

The matte finish is different than what I'm used to. It's not smooth but I'm sure the quality of the finish is in line with the cost of the firearm. As a result the gun doesn't feel like it cleans up like I'm used to, which I'll get used to.

A lot of the internals aren't accessable with disassemblling much further than the manual details. I did follow the instructions to remove the grip. There's a screw in the butt you push in and turn closewise at the same time, which I was able to do and remove the one piece grip. That screw is actually the main/hammer spring housing. The grip panel holds the mainspring housing in place as you rotate the housing/screw back & down counter clockwise - it drops down into the grip. In that position, if the grip wasn't on, the mainspring housing, mainspring and hammer strut will drop right out. Ask me how I know.

I'd really like to find a good complete disassembly/reassembly video but will worry about that later. The sear, safety lever and rear portion of the trigger bar are fairly enclosed and protected and therefore won't require much cleaning. The trigger bar arm and where it connects to the trigger is exposed as you would normally find - but I don't think you can get those parts out to clean and lube without a fair amount of disassembly.

Function checking, I like how it all seems to operate. The trigger in both DA & SA is pretty good and feels like it will only improve with time. We'll see.

Lastly, I read somewhere here the UC9 holster works for the TPR9c so ordered an IWB from Vedder. It works, but had to substitute some parts from my Aliengear parts bag to do so. The gun wouldn't holster without opening the holster up quite a bit but I think I've got that squared away.

I don't really name my guns but might call this one My Little Chunky Monkey 馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, question:

How do you determine the manufacture date? It's not on the case label....

Registered
Also, question:

How do you determine the manufacture date? It's not on the case label....
My Thunder 9uc isn鈥檛 stamped with a manufacture date either. My guess is the serial number is the only way to determine. And you鈥檇 have to call talon or one of the warranty centers and have them look it up I guess.

Sure is a beauty though!!

Registered
If the TPR9c is anything like it's predecessor it will be a fine shooter. I had both the HC and UC for years and they were excellent shooters. I passed them on to family members. Really smooth shooters and excellent triggers. Never, ever an issue of any kind.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So back from the range. No malfunctions, very manageable recoil. On target, not so much....

I have a tough time with iron sights and have transitioned the RDS's on several of my handguns. I'd rather not do that with the Bersa. That breing said, for my eyes, I my sight picture has to have the front sight sitting a bit above the rear sight on this gun to be on target, else I'm low. I had the same problem with my Sigs (combat hold) until I changed the sights out. I intend to do the same with this Bersa.

I have a Sig Ameriglo rear sight I'd like to try first. Am I correct both front and rear are Sig compatible? Anyone know if there's a right/wrong direction to push them on/off?

Thanks!

Registered
I鈥檝e watched several YouTube videos that say the predecessor of the TPR9c, thunder 9uc, uses sig sights. But I鈥檝e watched more of those since that鈥檚 what I have. Not exactly sure if the TPR9c uses the same or not.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well I pushed out the rear sight and ended up installing a Sig #10 rear night sight I had in my box of extras. Pushed out right to left, on in reverse order. I've had good luck with the #10 rear and it's definitely a bit taller than the factory Bersa rear. I look forward to getting back to the range to test it out.

I found a pretty good video on complete slide disassembly of Thunder Pro UC which looks like we'll carry over to the TPR9c, looks pretty straight forward:

Still looking for a video of the lower.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
#10 rear sight did the trick. I highly recommend the switch out for anyone struggling low.

HOW TO SMOOTH OUT TRIGGER: my trigger was nothing to write home about which has been bothering me since others have commented on how smooth theirs is. I finally chased the issue down to the hammer and hammer strut. After removing the grips, hammer spring seat, spring and strut I noticed where the strut meets the hammer was pretty dry. There was also a spot on the top/side of the strut that had a scratch/wear spot. I took some fine emory paper and went around the strut friction areas lightly. Lightly greased all around the top of the strut where it pivots and contacts the hammer then buttoned it all up. FIXED! I can't believe the difference. Totally different trigger.

I'd also like to correct my understanding of how the strut seat locks in place - the grips have nothing to do with it. The seat housing on the frame has a slot the tab on the seat slides into. It's a bit of a challenge reinstalling the seat so keep everything pointed in a direction that'll catch the spring and seat if things go south.

I did have a failure to eject today, 1st failure in about 150 rounds I've shot so far. Not sure what to make of that.

Hope all this helps as someone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts