Mossberg Firearms Thread

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by SHOOTER13, Sep 26, 2012.

1. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

This thread is dedicated to the firearms of O.F. Mossberg & Sons...

The 500 series comprises widely varying models of hammerless, pump action repeaters, all of which share the same basic receiver and action, but differ in bore size, barrel length, choke options, magazine capacity, and "furniture" ( stock and forearm) materials.

[​IMG]

Pictured above is my Mossberg 500 Cruiser chambered in 12 gauge. I have it configured with a pistol grip, but also own a full length stock.

2. stanger1944

stanger1944 Well-Known Member

Here is my Mossberg Shottie. It is an 18.5 inch Maverick 88 Security, I have since acquired a 28" modified choke barrel for it.

Attached Files:

• 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      55 KB
      Views:

3. SHOOTER13

Looks good stanger...what do you feed it !?

4. stanger1944

stanger1944 Well-Known Member

I have used just some 2&3/4 bird shot messing around with it along with some 2&3/4 military grade 00 buck, shot one round of 3" 00 buck and it just about did me in but killed a fabric softner bottle filled with water. I am thinking of getting some of the Winchester PD segmented slugs to see how they do.

5. SHOOTER13

Yea...I hear ya on those 3" shells !

I usually stick with 2 3/4" when practicing.

6. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Like your gun stanger 1944. Got one like it off a guy at a gunshow for a bill with an extra P-grip for a Mossberg. I had a couple of the long 12 ga. with the vent ribs, but traded them off. I used this one the most.

[​IMG]

7. Pancho_Villa

Here is a Mossy Mod 44 US trainer in .22 cal. Heavy stock, heavy barrel, peep sights, 5round detachable mags that are hard to find. It was put togeter from 2 of the 44 US models and 3 others to get a complete set of undamaged or moditied parts. Barrel and stock from one gun. Receiver and trigger guard from another and the rear sight and bolt dust cover from another. Rear sight is from a later Mod 44 LS cause the original rear peep was bent and missing the eyepiece. I have an original front sigh, but had to order a front sight from an LS model also to match. Barrels on the US and LS are about an eitht of an inch different, so I had to hand make a spacer to fit tha front sight at the right height. The gun is deadly accurate. Cuts a quarter inch hole at 50 yds off a bench. Even with a plain trigger, it could hold it's own agains the high dollar shooter's Anshutz rifles. well, it did when I could still see the sights. Can't see well enough to shoot very well now. Anybody know where I could find an original scope mount for it.

Yeah it was a long project. Still need original sling mounts. My kids used this gun to compete in 4H competions in the 80s-90s. The team had LS rifles, but people always fugged with the sights on them. So I built one. I heard that the Civilian Marksmanship progam had some of thes for sale a few years ago, but they may have sold out by now.

[​IMG]

8. SHOOTER13

Nice little .22 project gun ya have there PV !!

9. Mitchell

Mitchell Junior Member

Model 500 20 gauge pump and an old 183T bolt action .410 that I got so the grandkids could shoot with me when they were young.
    [​IMG]

10. DocNugent

DocNugent Bersa owner since 2008

After seeing one in a local gun store, The Missus thought we should buy a Mossberg 500 Chainsaw 12 gauge shotgun as our Christmas 2011 present to each other. I replaced the forend grip, and added three accessories: a 150-lumen LED light, a Knoxx recoil-reducing grip, and a BlackHawk single-point sling that carries up to 15 additional shells.
    [​IMG]
    With the Knoxx pistol grip and Federal Low-Recoil
    (13200LE) 00 buck shells, it's really fun to shoot!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  11. SHOOTER13

Looks awesome Doc...well done !!

12. grihn

grihn Member

Here's my Mossberg 715t (22LR). Love it...it was dirt cheap to buy, it's dirt cheap to shoot, and just plain fun. Was a bit concerned about reliability because it's got mixed reviews, but after approx 1600 rounds and maybe 5-6 feeding issues, I'm pretty satisfied...especially considering I paid $170 (with optic).

Attached Files:

13. SHOOTER13

A buddy of mine just picked up a Mossberg 715T at a Philly gun show...

It's alot of fun to shoot...and I like that the bolt has the cocking handle.

14. Pancho_Villa

Very nice rifles for the money.

15. grihn

grihn Member

I like it...it's a very loosely based AR copy, not anywhere near a clone like the S&W M&P-15 .22, but at the cost of those I feel that I should just spring for an actual AR-15 (which will be a purchase I hope to make in the somewhat near future :)). This little Mossberg isn't perfect, but it's extremely hard to complain when you factor in what it cost to buy the gun, and what it costs to shoot...truly a good bang for your buck!

16. SHOOTER13

Newest Toy...

Just purchased this Mossberg 590A1 at the PA NG Armory Gun Show in NE Philadelphia on 5/17/2014...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Specifications:

Gauge: 12
    Chamber: 3"
    Capacity: 9
    Barrel: 20"
    Sights: Ghost Ring
    Stock: Black Synthetic
    Choke: Cylinder Bore
    Barrel Finish: Parkerized
    LOP: 14"
    Overall Length: 41"
    Weight: 7.25 lbs
    Packed for Shipment: 5/7/2014

I'll be first in line at the gun range tomorrow...!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  17. dalefan88

dalefan88 Well-Known Member Supporter

Here's my mossberg 500 12 gauge

ImageUploadedByBersa Forum1400439551.135016.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Bersa Forum

18. beaglenc

beaglenc Member

Over 10 million 500 variants have been made. Staggering number.
    I have an action from 1974 and every barrel needed for it. With the scoped cantilever rig on it I have taken more deer than I can remember. The barrel that was on that gun in the 70's has lost all the blueing, the bead,( don't need a bead ;)) and was dragged through salt marshes, saltwater rock jetties, the woods and killed everything you could in my neck of the woods before I started adding barrels. Still schucks everything and has an action that if you point it skyward and "hit the button" that slide will come back with a shake.
    Can you tell I sorta like that gun?

19. Pancho_Villa

20. SHOOTER13

Ontario M9 Bayonet for the Mossberg 590A1...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]