Bersa Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 380cc in matte nickel. First time at the range, straight out of the box, no cleaning. Box of Winchester White Box ammo, first 4-5 mags fired perfectly. Very accurate, great feel. Then toward the end of the box I started to get failures to fire. I manually ejected the unfired round and saw a small dimple in the primer. After a few of these, rather than eject the round, I pulled the trigger again in DA mode and the round fired. I put the unfired rounds back in and they all fired in DA but not in SA.

I took the gun home, cleaned, and did some research on the issue. Found some suggestions to clean the firing pin channel. I did that according to the instructions. Everything looked fine. Firing pin looks intact and undamaged.

Next trip to the range with a clean gun and Remington ammo. On the very first mag the gun started acting-up again. Of the 50 rounds fired, probably 30-40% failed in SA but fired upon second DA pull.

I know guns sometimes have a break-in period but this number of malfunctions seems out of the ordinary. Anyone have any ideas about what might be causing this?

·
Curmudgeon
20 Posts
I had a Taurus revolver that did this sometimes and if I remember correctly, the "fix" involved the timing (not applicable with the Bersa) and an internal spring. Might require a trip back to Eagle or a local warranty dealer if it keeps up. Google the problem and see what you can find. You might be surprised. Good luck!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sounds like the problem may be hard primers. I would try another brand and if it happens again check how far your firing pin extends out of the firing pin channel.

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
If you have used good commercial, U.S. made ammo, I would rule out hard primers. Not likely unless the ammo is military stuff.

If ya have the slide off, check how far the firing pin sticks out from the firing pin hole. Give it a push from the back. If it looks o.k, check the safety lever. It may be engageing partially while firing and dragging on the pin. Kinda hard to tinker with it if it is cause ya may void your warranty if the warranty is still good. The safety/decoker could be moving under recoil. I have had this happen on a few gun with slide mounted safeties.

Only other thing could be a weak hammer spring. Unlikely on a new gun, but possible.

Kinda ruled out the disconnector cause the trigger is allowing the sear/hammer to release.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. I don't think it's the ammo. It's happened with two different brands of factory ammo. I took the firing pin out again last night and cleaned the channel...it really wasn't dirty at all. Firing pin looks to be in good shape. It extends out of the channel plenty far enough.

I'm thinking it might be a timing issue with the firing pin block in SA mode. I'll hit the range one more time with it so see what happens. If it still doesn't work I'll contact the warranty dept.

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies. I don't think it's the ammo. It's happened with two different brands of factory ammo. I took the firing pin out again last night and cleaned the channel...it really wasn't dirty at all. Firing pin looks to be in good shape. It extends out of the channel plenty far enough.

I'm thinking it might be a timing issue with the firing pin block in SA mode. I'll hit the range one more time with it so see what happens. If it still doesn't work I'll contact the warranty dept.
If the safety/firing pin block is dragging on a pin cause it is shifting in the slide uder recoil, ya might want to try pushing the safety into the "fire" position before each time you fire in SA mode to see if it will shoot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went to the range yesterday and the gun malfunctioned again as usual. So I took out the firing pin block and it worked like a charm through an entire box of ammo. I don't really want to carry the gun without the FP block. So...is the timing issue something I can fix myself or should it go back to warranty?

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
I only buy used ones, so I have to fix them. Usually for gunshow swappiung. Might take a bit of trial and error taking off just enough metal to get it right. well at least to where it will work. However, if the spring and or detent that holds it is the problem, it could still allow it to drop down far enough to drag again. Trial and error. No guarantees with a used one, but a new one has a warranty. Guess it's kinad a fix it at your own risk thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts