Kitchen knife recommendations?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by David, Mar 9, 2013.

1. David

David Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Anyone have any good recommendations for a set of kitchen knives? Looking on eBay for some...

2. David

Boy, did I speak too soon. I put the same post on the "other" forum, on Facebook, and I texted my father. Obviously, I really want a new knife set. Dad responded, "A very nice knife set will appear here at home on March 16 next weekend."

My birthday. Isn't that sweet of my parents!?

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

And here I was gonna suggest "GINSU" ;)

4. opaww

opaww Banned

I would say get something without a point or sharp edge so they won't take them after they take all our guns away

5. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Are you a chef? Knives are an odd request for a birthday gift and I have received many.

6. David

In training. Not very many Cajuns are natural born Chefs, so I kinda feel like the odd ball out!

7. Shooter

Texans had a similar issue until 10-15 years ago. It was all the same stuff everywhere. Burgers, Fries, Steaks, but we've been seeing a resurgence. I tended to emphasize American Fare when I was cooking. I preferred to take traditional American recipes and refine them to a less rustic more restaurant family food. Many cultures foods are coming out of the home, Germans for instance, and it's been great to see how they adapt to a faster setting.

8. hotshott

hotshott The "Bass-Tard" Son

I have Chicago Cutlery. Lifetime warranty and sharpening.Only drawback is they are located in New York. DON'T BUY STAINLESS.. Does not hold an edge.

9. David

You're in Texas, too?

10. 9UC

9UC Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

11. Shooter

I like hi carbon. It holds an edge, but it's a pia to sharpen, so I just stay on top of it with a steel.

I am, about 45 minutes south of Austin.

I like Wusthof if I'm spending good money on knives.