Bersa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What bullet weights have given you the best penetration/accuracy? For a blowback .380 with a 3 in. barrel, what weight is the magic compromise?

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
Hey RM, not trying to disrupt this thread but I'm just curious as to where and how does one learn to reload? I know that the Sarge (Greg) and others on here reload and from time to time post about this hobby (for lack of a better term). Again where and how do you start? If I may ask, how did you and the Sarge get started? I would love to post about such a subject, but I know nothing about it.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
What bullet weights have given you the best penetration/accuracy? For a blowback .380 with a 3 in. barrel, what weight is the magic compromise?
I like the 95 to 105 grain bullets. It's my opinion that anything lighter suffers penetration and anything heavier suffers velocity.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Hey RM, not trying to disrupt this thread but I'm just curious as to where and how does one learn to reload? I know that the Sarge (Greg) and others on here reload and from time to time post about this hobby (for lack of a better term). Again where and how do you start? If I may ask, how did you and the Sarge get started? I would love to post about such a subject, but I know nothing about it.
Dutch, I will be glad to help you get started. The first thing I will suggest is to read.Get yourself a couple of manuals, I like the Lyman and the Lee, but most any are good.

Let me know what would be most important to you and I will try and point you in the right direction. You can get started with a Lee single stage press, all you need to load for one caliber for less than $100. Price goes up from there!

A single stage will load you about 50 per hour, a turret about 200 per hour, and a progressive will double that.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Most 380 self defense rounds feature a 90 to 100 grain hollow point bullet, so I would stick with something in that weight range.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Most 380 self defense rounds feature a 90 to 100 grain hollow point bullet, so I would stick with something in that weight range.
In short barrel guns check your bullet performance especially if using hollow points. Most will not expand and if they do expand penetration suffers. My "go-to" bullet in short is the truncated cone. This is regardless of caliber.

·
Registered
47 Posts
A good place might be http://www.handloadersbench.com/

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
I'm kinda with the others on bullet weight, like @ 95 gr. for me in factory stuff. Any of the major brands.

I reload for revolver cals and only for the .45 auto. Don't have a need for reloading anything smaller than the .45 acp. I hardly load that now cause I lose all the brass. Kinda quit loading the .45 auto too for that reason.:D

Dutch,

You can fine the Speer reloading manual in most gunshops and even some bookstores. I have used the Lyman also and the Hornady. I have all three to compare data. Ya have to get all the terminology staight before ya can begin. If ya have someone to show you that helps, I didn't. Also helped that I was constantly reading all the gun rags back in the 70s & 80s. They had alot of how to stuff back then. Now, I can't even see well enough to read them.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Pauncho, go to Wal-Mart and get you a mesh laundry bag. Then go next door to Lowe's and get you a length of 1/2" pvc pipe and some elbows. Can make you a couple of brass catchers for less than $10.

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
Thanks guys for your help. I have started reading all that I can on the internet. I'm finding that there is a wealth of info out there. Like Pancho, said I'm trying to learn the terminology first and go from there.

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
Pauncho, go to Wal-Mart and get you a mesh laundry bag. Then go next door to Lowe's and get you a length of 1/2" pvc pipe and some elbows. Can make you a couple of brass catchers for less than $10.
I have seen those. I have also been told to use old blankets or bed sheets spread out on the ground.

I'm just lazy and don't do it. When I want to catch any brass, I just park my old truck next to where I am shooting and most of the brass lands in the bed.:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
make yourself a case catcher with PVC pipe and netting
for the netting I use laundry bags
and for pipe or used a laundry bag holding rack

·
Registered
223 Posts
Dutch. I too will help you get started reloading also. Greg is right pick up those two books and do some reading first. As far as presses I like and use the Lee Classic turret press. It's reasonably priced and can be used in auto index mode and single stage mode. Great for learning. Also will put out about 150 to 200 rounds an hour once you get the hang of it.

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
Thanks snake, really means a lot to me, in that I know nothing about reloading, however, I can count on you guys like the Sarge and yourself for help. BTW, I am reading a lot over the net!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Dutch,
I started reloading center fire back in the 70's. Dont remember exactly the year. There were no computers then and I had no one to teach me. I learned by reading reloading manuals, just as Greg suggested. He has posted a list of hardware to get started with and its cost. You can reduce the cost even more by buying used stuff on gunbroker or ebay.
If you need answers to questions getting started, I am as close as your computer. So just email me with any questions you have. There are no dumb questions when it comes to reloading. [email protected]

Chris

> I am sure the long time reloaders like Greg will make the same offer to walk you through it. If you are not able to get a quick reply from me, try another reloader. Other than 8 to 5, M thru F, I am online a bunch.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I generally stick with 95 grains for reloading since John Moses liked that weight best. However, I do use 85 grains fractory in my KelTec due to that 2.7" barrel to keep the velocity up. Hardest part of reloading .380 is keeping that little short bullet balanced on top of that case until you can press it home.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I generally stick to 90-95 grain bullets. There isn't a wide selection of bullets for the .380 and if you start going with heavier 9mm bullets then you will exceed SAAMI specifications for overall cartridge length. Looking at my Lyman manual, they list a 115gr jacketed bullet & a 120gr cast bullet as the heaviest. The latter one is only 0.004" under SAAMI Max overall length.

Thanks guys for your help. I have started reading all that I can on the internet. I'm finding that there is a wealth of info out there. Like Pancho, said I'm trying to learn the terminology first and go from there.
When I started reloading the first thing I did was read The ABC's of Reloading, then I read the reloading section of the Lyman Reloading Handbook. Most (if not all) reloading manuals have a how-to section in them that would be a good resource.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Right now, I am loading and shooting the 100gr Xtreme plated bullet in my .380s. It is a round flat nose that is very accurate. I buy them here local for $37 per 500. Xtreme has a website that you can go check them out and order online. At times, they run sales of 5 or 10% off or free shipping.

Chris

1 - 20 of 20 Posts