Bersa Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Daughter is going for her concealed carry class and is in the market for a handgun.Here is her choices.

Charter Arms Lavender Lady. This is her 1st choice. But at $422 it's more than she wants to spend. My 38 special Undercover has been flawless. If she goes This routs she may have it chambered in 32 H&R.

Bersa Thunder 380. Her second choice. $297 is near the top of what she wants to spend. I love mine. It is easily the most accurate centerfire I have. Mine was flawless for the first 500 to 600 rounds. Then started having issues with the slide and jamming. I have it running fine now, but I worry if it will be reliable for her. She wants color, we can always change the grips.

Hi Point CF380. Third choice. $139. What can I say, Had a fail to feed and a double feed back to back on the 6th magazine, since then it has run perfect. Probably close to 1000 rounds now.Can always paint the grips. This is where she is leaning even though it's not her #1. Price I think has much to do with it.

SCCY 4th choice. $240.She loves the color but hates the recoil.

Taurus TCP 738. 5th choices.$296. She likes this but I occasionally have issues with the slide on mine locking open with rounds in the magazine. She can get raspberry and stainless in this one. She likes the size, but again the recoil is a bit much.

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
The Charter 5 shooters. I have had several sincee back in the 70s. They wall worked perfectly fine. Good choice. Don't know how it is in your state. In Texas if you pass with a revo, you can only carry a revo. And you have to pass with a 9 mil or greater to carry any quto pistol. Those were old rules when I checked years ago. May have changed now.

Bersa .380. Great choice. I still carry one, but now carry an LC9. Much lighter and more power. The Bersa has a good sight radius and DA/SA trigger for learning trigger control and getting great accuracy at longer ranges, it is hard to beat.

The Hi Points. Most work well. The .380 is much the same size as the 9 mil gun. Heavy as hell. Not great to carry. My brother uses one as a house gun. He tried to carry it, but just decided it was too heavy.

Some people like the TCPs. The 738 is a good size. I have a TCP in .32 cal that a guy threw in on a swap. It is very small and easy to carry. It may be smaller than the 738, but not by much. The TCP .32 is no longer made, or so I was told. Guess the .380 and 9 mil were more popular. It is much the same as a Kel-Tec P32. Also much like the Tel-Tec P3AT and Ruger LCP .380 The little guns are hard to hit with on small targets. I have had them all. Work well on man size targets at close range. In .380, they are hard to control also.. You may want to look at the Ruger LC .380. It is the same size as the Ruger LC9, but in .380 and recoil is much easier to control. I have the LC9 and it is snappy. Both are much the same size as the Bersa .380, but lighter. However, they are DA onnly and harder to learn to shoot.

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
The Ruger LC9 in Raspberrry. Guess for the ladies. Also in black cwich I have and purple color. Not too far from the new Charter ladies gun costs new.

http://www.cdnnsports.com/ruger-lc9-9mm-dao-7rd-raspberry-compact-pistol.html

If ya want a tuff light revolver? Ruger CCR. Newer model, LCRx has a hammer if ya perfer some DA/SA shots. This one is in .38 spl. I have one in .357 mag. Recoil is vicious with the magnums, not bad with .38 spl.

http://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-lcrr-38spec-p-5rd-1-78-revolver.html

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not had a chance to fire any of the Rugers except for a LCP. I prefer my TCP. I would like to try the LC380. Got to handle one at GM, but they were asking full retail.

She just called and I really think she is going with the Charter Arms, although the SCCY is moving up her list. She made it clear she does not want something just "silver and black" she wants "something pretty". :)

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not been on this forum in a bit. Was looking around and see Bersa now has a BP380CC. Think we found a new pistol to try. Shame they don't come in "girl" colors. Looks like it may be hard to find. Listed on the distributors web page, but out of stock.

I think Bersa just hit a home run. Lots of people, including me , like the polymer sub-compacts but not the snappy recoil of the nine. Usually easier to operate also. A family member has arthritis and while looking at the Ruger LC9 and LC380 he had issues racking the slide of the 9. The 380 was no problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the Bersa 380cc, LC9, and LC380. I have customized the LC9 and LC380. Half the trigger pull. Other than my larger or wheel guns , my LC380 most accurate and easiest to shoot. Next is the LC9 and then Bersa 380 cc. My choice for a young lady is the Ruger LCR 357 and shoot 38 Hornady FTX rounds. But from your choices. Bersa 380cc by far. I say this because of the heavy Ruger trigger compare to the great trigger of the Bersa 380cc and light recoil.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was thinking LC380. Recoil would be as manageable as a Bersa Thunder, but I think the slide is easier to pull back. And, it's in the same ballpark for price.

I love my Bersa, but my wife doesn't care to shoot it - it takes a concentrated effort for her to pull the slide back. For me, no problem. For her, it's a deal breaker.

Probably the best thing is to make sure she can actually get her hands on the gun and see what she likes. The more guns she looks at, the better she'll feel about her purchase decision.

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
You know where I'm gonna go with this buddy.........The Bersa Thunder..........Enough said!:D

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Just so you know the Bersa BT380 is now availible in differant colors, the charter arms .38 is a decent little gun but my wife has to use a glove if shooting alot of rounds or it makes her hand sore. Wish her luck in her decision all boils down to choice and cost. Hard to go wrong with a revolver tho they are 99.9999% reliable.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She got a Glock a while back.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I would stay away from the .32 H&R simply because of ammo availability. Either the Bersa or one of the 5 shot wheel guns. If she chooses the Bersa tell her to get use to the DA/SA trigger.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts