Has anybody done any polishing?

Discussion in 'General Bersa Discussion' started by 92rado, Oct 8, 2012.

1. 92rado

92rado Member

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum but have been a Bersa thunder 380CC owner for awhile now. I was curious if anybody has done any polishing to there Bersa or any other custom touches. If so do you have any pics?

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the Bersa Forum 92rado !!

I personally have not modified my Bersa Thunder 45 UC in any way...

3. BT380

BT380 Well-Known Member

I do find I need to polish my silverware every now and then or it will tarnish. :D

Oh, you mean the gun, no as mine feels smooth and shoots very well. After I got 3-4 hundred rounds through it it seemed to smooth itself out. :)

Whatever you do, do not polish the feed ramp. It only has a thin coating on it and if you polish through you just ruined your gun and that is not covered under the waranty. You would have just ruined the frame.

4. bersastud

bersastud Active Member

careful on the polishing the alum-frame is anodized , and if you polish thru that approx 6 thousands inch thick. Your then into bare metal

5. 92rado

92rado Member

Thanks for the info. I was actually thinking of polishing just the barrel. And tring to find some nice rubber grips. Just want to kinda make it my own. Does anybody know where to find rubber grips or maybe just nice grips period. It's hard to find some for the 380CC for some reason.

6. BT380

BT380 Well-Known Member

7. Heimdhal

Heimdhal Well-Known Member

A GOOD and PROPER polish never hurts. At the very least, a little buff of the feed ramp may help if you have some ammo issues.

8. BT380

BT380 Well-Known Member

NEVER POLISH THE FEED RAMP ON THE 380. The alum-frame is anodized and it is very easy to break through it and if you do you will have to replace the frame.

If your having feed problems it either a mag has not been taken down and cleaned or has a burr inside or an ammo problem. If the gun has not been broken in it will have issues with flat nose ammo and hollow points but once you get 200-300 rds. through it it will smooth out.

I had all types of failure to feeds and it was all related to ammo and my mags not broken down and properly cleaned. Most folks do not realize that these guns come packed with cosmoline and do not get all of it out of the nooks and cranny's and it will cause all kind of problems as it is not a lube and gets real sticky when heated up.

Winchester flat nose and hollow points gave me a fit until I got the gun broke in, once I did it will eat anything I feed it now.

9. bersastud

bersastud Active Member

I don't think any rubber for the CC only the regular Thunder
    If the pistol for carry I never use rubber grips They will some times cling and expose you carry gun. Also on a fast draw if you grip isn't just right .You can't just slip pistol in hand to get proper grip. Remember you can be picture perfect on drawing and shooting at range . When its for real just might be not as perfect. At very least you groups will open in size.

10. bhale187

bhale187 Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm not seeing how you could possibly break the feed ramp by polishing it with a polishing wheel or cone. Breaking in the feed ramp in is smoothing it down through the contact of the copper bullet on an aluminum ramp, a felt polishing wheel is doing the same thing without burning through the ammo.

11. BT380

BT380 Well-Known Member

Re read the posts. No one said you would break the feed ramp, only break through the anodized coating on the ramp and if you do that you have ruined your ramp and exposed the aluminum. Thus you ruined the frame and it will need replacing on your dime as warranty does not cover stupid. :p That is why you do not polish a BT380 ramp.

12. bhale187

Still not seeing how a felt polishing tip is going to break through the coating, but repeated metal to metal contact of the rounds feeding does not. :confused:

13. BT380

BT380 Well-Known Member

It takes years and years of use to wear it off, when most folks polish they use a dremel and gritty compound, it wont take long if you do not know what your doing and most folks have never used a dremel and just read about polishing this or that and go at it and then the damage is done.

Why would you need to polish it anyway?, it comes ready to use and 99% of feed problems are with the ammo, the rest are mag related or limp wisting. Bersa 380's are sometimes picky eaters until they have been broken in and the only way to break one in is to shoot it. Mine did not like the flat nose ammo or hollow points until I shot 200-300 rounds through it and now it will eat anything I feed it. I'm up to 2k through it in 1 1/2 years and not one problem since break in and I never polished anything on mine.

14. 92rado

92rado Member

Thanks for all the replies.I wasn't wanting to polish the feed ramp because my bersa operates great and I have no issues. I was more looking at polishing out the outside of my barrel just for looks.

15. bhale187

Yeah, thats not a good idea on a Bersa. You can get away with a polished barrel on a Glock or Sig that has tenifer because that impregnates the metal giving protection even after the black finish is removed. If you polish a bersa barrel you are leaving exposed and unprotected metal to the elements.

16. Heimdhal

Heimdhal Well-Known Member

You are correct. Im sorry, I was refering to the Thunder UC line (the 9, 40's and .45's that do not utilize the fixed barrel.

I never had any real feed issues with mine, using quality JHP's +P (Yes, +P's are ok in limited quantity with Bersa's). In fact, hte only fail-to-feed's I ever really had were with some weaker range ammo and some limp wristing on my part.

17. 92rado

92rado Member

Ok thank y'all that's what I needed to know. I didn't know that they didn't have the Tenifer in them like glocks. I'm glad I asked y'all first before tring it out.

18. Thought about polishing the barrel but changed my mind as the Bersa 380/firestorm is flawless on feeding and ejecting,Why fix it if it aint broke I guess.

19. curleyrch

curleyrch Member

bersa polishing

I personally have done nothing to my Bersa Firestorm, it shoot great out of the box and has preformed equally as well since then. It is also a great conceal carry weapon as it is smallish and easy to conceal. Also has good stooping power

20. curleyrch

curleyrch Member

I agree

I agree with this one, haven't had one bit of a problem yet