Bersa Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Thunder UC 9mm is about 3 months old. I selected it based on reviews indicating it was a good value and reliable pistol.

I've shot almost 400 rounds and have had several failure to feed jams.
This occurs with either Bersa magazine, (usually about halfway through the magazine), different brands ammo.

I finally sent it in to the Bersa warranty gunsmith in Texas last week.
Yesterday, after repair, I went out to the range it happened again - twice (within 50 rounds). Attached are pictures.
I put it away and came home disappointed.

I spoke with the gunsmith and was assured he did all he could, polished the ramp, bore, and cleaned the mag. He said the only thing he could think of is that I'm relaxing my grip too much. He also mentioned I should tap the mag after loading to assure rounds are well seated.

I appreciate any advice. I especially want to know if anyone has had this issue fixed and what was the cause.

Thanks!
Alpha

Attachments

·
369 Posts
Mornina AAlpha,
Mine did the EXACT same thing. I was told to just use it, after 3 or 400 rounds it would clear up (the rounds will wear down the ramp). I didn't care for that answer.
You can see where it is hanging up at. I took a round gun smith file and took the edge off. (sandpaper will work) I'll bet it still has a sharp edge right where it is hanging. You only need to take off about the thickness of a straight pin, just so the round will slide past. All the shinny part on my picture is from the rounds sliding over it, I have well over 5000 rounds through mine, no more FTF. You just need to round off the edge. If you look at the bullet, (lead) that hung up, you should see a grove in it from the ramp.

·
Bersa Warranty Center
172 Posts
From your picture, your failure to feed is not caused by the nose of the round striking the frame, but by another issue.
Though it might be inconvenient, I would recommend sending it to us and we can fix it. Keep your receipt for your shipping and we will help you with that also. I am sorry that the other center could not figure this out.
Please allow us to make this right.
Please contact us if you would like to discuss this. I think you will like what I will tell you.
Thank you,
Team CGW
C.R.H.
812-659-4867

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hobbles,
Thanks for the tip! Since it's still under warranty, I'm going to send it in for repair one more time. If it still isn't fixed then I'll try that.
Alpha

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From your picture, your failure to feed is not caused by the nose of the round striking the frame, but by another issue.
Though it might be inconvenient, I would recommend sending it to us and we can fix it. Keep your receipt for your shipping and we will help you with that also. I am sorry that the other center could not figure this out.
Please allow us to make this right.
Please contact us if you would like to discuss this. I think you will like what I will tell you.
Thank you,
Team CGW
C.R.H.
812-659-4867
Ok, CGW, you convinced me and my Bersa is on its way to you. I really hope you can fix it!
I look forward to receiving it, firing about 100 rounds, and being able to post that it is fixed!
Alpha

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had a similar issue with a Taurus PT 22: pistol made in Florida and magazine in Brazil. The magazine lips were out of spec in 2 of three mags. Bent them inward slightly several times and now runs flawlessly; even with the Aguila 60 gr lr Sniper subsonic cartridge.

Your picture suggests mal-position of the lips: one bent too much inward will aim the bullet off-center of the chamber. Though close-up lens can distort the image. Bersa should be able to fix what ever the cause.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had a similar issue with a Taurus PT 22: pistol made in Florida and magazine in Brazil. The magazine lips were out of spec in 2 of three mags. Bent them inward slightly several times and now runs flawlessly; even with the Aguila 60 gr lr Sniper subsonic cartridge.

Your picture suggests mal-position of the lips: one bent too much inward will aim the bullet off-center of the chamber. Though close-up lens can distort the image. Bersa should be able to fix what ever the cause.
Thanks for your comments. If the issue continues after repair I'll take a closer look at the mags.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I know this isn't the cause of your problem with FTF as you use factory loads.
But when reloading if the crimp is too light it will snag on top of the breech
and cause a failure to feed. Been there done that.

Blaine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts