First shot is for the birds

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by Peter Goldwing, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Peter Goldwing

Peter Goldwing Well-Known Member

I just returned from my motorcycle ride to Strickland range in Daytona. I took my Beretta 92 FS and my Bersa 9 mmUC. Im a decent shooter and from 15 Yards I can place my bullets within 10" pattern without taking more then about 2 sec per shot.
    I tried to simulate real emergency situations and shot with the gun being decocked on the first round and cocked on the shot after. I did this for about 20 sets of shots with both guns.

I think I hit the target just once on the first shot. I know most gun fights are within a few feet but I made a mental note to cock the gun if the time allows.

2. Pistol_Packin_Preacher

Pistol_Packin_Preacher Well-Known Member

Good morning Peter GW!

Thanks for sharing the results of your excursion.
    Don't forget the old adage - Practice makes perfect!
    Keep those trips up and I would not be surprised that you will see better results.
    Can you say you either shot better or just plain old enjoyed one of the two handguns better than the other?
    Though this is the Bersa forum, please feel free to mention the 92 as your choice.
    They do have an outstanding history for a reason.

And I must say I am a little jealous that you are about on your bike.
    Due to snow on roads and temps in single digits and lower here in Pennsylvania my bike has not been out of the garage for several weeks.

God bless!!

Michael

3. Peter Goldwing

Peter Goldwing Well-Known Member

Hi Michael, Beretta is the first gun I've bought since moving to FL. Its a fine gun and extremely reliable. I use it mainly for home defense. I can conceal carry it but I feel that Bersa conceals better and from close up to 15 yards they are both very accurate.
    Since last time I was around I put a few miles on my bike with my wife. The trips can be viewed at
    http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/3-events/619793-trip-far-away.html
    Pennsylvania has great riding roads
    Im a NJ transplant and relocating here was a good decision.
    If you ever riding south I can meet you for a burger and a beer.
    Peter

4. Pistol_Packin_Preacher

Pistol_Packin_Preacher Well-Known Member

Good morning Peter!

Thank you so much for the offer.
    I will certainly keep that in mind.
    I hope someday to find the time to ride down to Florida.
    I have some family down there so that would be incentive.
    The Spring Hill and Tampa areas.
    Also, thank you so much for sharing the link regarding your trip!
    It appears you covered a lot of ground and got to view a lot of our wonderful country.

And remember, the first shot is not always for the birds.
    It is a statement to the intruder that you are armed and not afraid to use it.
    At that point he/she/they would most likely go out the way they came in and a lot faster!
    Just some thoughts.

God bless!!

Michael