First dud

Discussion in 'General Bersa Discussion' started by Peter Goldwing, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Peter Goldwing

Peter Goldwing Well-Known Member

Yesterday my son and I went target shooting to Strickland in Daytona. I took all my guns:
    BT 9 mm UC ,Bersa 380 CC ( very small one ) and my Beretta 92FS inox. All performed flawlessy
    on shooting about 300 rounds, total. The only problem we had was shooting a dud with the 380 . The bullet was propelled for about 3 inch and was stuck at the end of the barrel, almost could touch it. Someone next to me had a rod and we pushed it out.
    Just now it occurred to me how dangerous this situation was. If I didnt check the gun for partial misfire after manually ejecting the case, I could have shot another round with the bullet still lodged in the barrel.(what would have happened then?)
    The round was a chippie aluminium jacket.
    How common is this? In the future I might shoot this type of ammo but wont use it when conceal carry, or the gun is ready for defensive action in my house

2. Pistol_Packin_Preacher

Pistol_Packin_Preacher Well-Known Member

Peter GW:

The occurrence you had is totally uncommon to the best of my knowledge.
    Totally dangerous, but totally uncommon.
    It is good you have common sense and heeded it when this happened.
    What brand ammo were you using?
    You may want to contact the maker and advise them of what you had occur.
    Like you stated, if you had not stopped to look in the barrel but continued to clear the cartridge and fire the next round, the results could have been disastrous.
    Those are just me thoughts.
    And I would be careful finishing off that box of ammo.

God bless!!

Michael

Peter Goldwing likes this.

3. Renaldo

Renaldo Well-Known Member

Rare, but it does happen. Google 'squib' and you'll find info. It's a bad round and extremely dangerous. Squibs are specifically why manuals tell you to stop and check the barrel if the gun sounds 'off' when you fire it.

You were lucky, many times the squib load gets stuck in the barrel and goes unnoticed until the next shot which is devastating to the shooter. Many of the split barrels and otherwise destroyed pistol pics you'll find online are due to firing a second shot behind a squib.

Squibs are due to ammo, not the gun, so you should be fine in the future.

Bruce Lee's son Brandon Lee was killed by a squib fired from a pistol while filming The Crow. The pistol being used in the movie hadn't been properly safety checked and a squib round was stuck in the barrel without anyone realizing it. The gun was loaded with blanks for the scene they were about to shoot, and when the gun was fired at Brandon, the pressure from the blank fired the squib the rest of the way out of the barrel, killing him.

Peter Goldwing likes this.
  4. Petester

Petester New Member

I was shooting a cheapo .25 awhile ago. Later in the day I noticed a small bulge in the barrel while cleaning it. Must have been a squid that got shot out unnoticed. I don't use cheap aluminum ammo any more especially if it's old.

5. snakeye

snakeye Well-Known Member

I have had 2 squibs over the years, both of which were recognizable when it happened...a pop instead of a bang...but I always stop immediately whenever a round goes off and it doesn't sound right...I have had rounds also you could tell had low powder and those that have high powder charges...I stop and check the gun when those happen also.

6. dutchboy

dutchboy Well-Known Member Supporter

Smart man Snake, "Safety First"!