Firearm concealment laws in Texas?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by David, Apr 4, 2013.

1. David

David Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Does anyone know about firearm concealment laws in a vehicle in Texas? I'm thinking about making a device to where my handgun is being held under or near the steering column. Its not "in plain view", however, it is easily seen if someone walks up to the car and peeks in the window. Legal or not?

2. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I'm no expert, but it sounds illegal.

3. LT2108

LT2108 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporter

I would check with the state laws, here in Ohio, that is legal, however, some states mandate how the firearm is transferred in a car, especially if children are in the vehicle.

4. hilandr

hilandr thunder 380 CC owner

I would think it would be considered Brandishing. Also, if left unattended would surely be a target for theft.

5. Stratojaxter

Stratojaxter Well-Known Member

From what I can gather, the Texas Motorist Protection Act, HB 1815, allows for a person (with or without a CHL), to carry a handgun in their car as long as:

1. the handgun remains concealed
    2. the person is not engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor (a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic)
    3. the person is not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm
    4. the person is not a member of a criminal street gang

Unless you have a CHL, you cannot carry the weapon outside your vehicle unless you are going directly to or from your car and home or a range. IE, if you stop off at Walmart, leave it in the car unless you have a CHL.

I'm no lawyer, haven't played one on TV, nor did not sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but your idea seems to be outside the "handgun remains concealed" requirement.

You might want to check with someone in law enforcement to be sure, but I'd say it would be illegal.

6. David

After reading this thread, and my same thread on the other two forums, I have decided against it. However, I greatly appreciate everyone's advice, and the time they took to respond. Thanks.

7. David

I was born and raised in Louisiana, so I know how I can and can't carry a firearm in Louisiana. Don't know much about Texas. I still do have my Louisiana CHL as my permanent residence is Louisiana. Anyway....

In Louisiana a firearm doesn't have to be concealed, and can be in the presence of someone 17 or older. Those 17 and older are freely allowed to OC, but CHLs are issued to those over 21. Weird.

8. HaggardFox

HaggardFox Member

You could easily put something over it or put a holster between your center console and cover it with a hat and doing so would make it legal. No chl required to keep it in your car. I prefer the holster in-between the seat and console because you can act as If you are going for your wallet etc.

9. David

That's what I've been doing; just wanted to secure it a little more. When I have it wedged between the seats, it tends to move a little over time.

10. Shooter

I think it would still be smart to work the idea out fully then try to market it in some fashion.

11. David

I actually have a Bersa tucked between the seats (60/40 bench), with the armrest resting over it, hiding it. Not exactly the most feasible idea, but it does work.

12. Shooter

I think it's a good idea that could be marketed as an after market accessory. Like I said, you should draw out some plans for it.