Finally have a Bersa and Questions.

Discussion in 'General Bersa Discussion' started by jpshaw, Jul 14, 2013.

1. jpshaw

jpshaw Well-Known Member

After 4 months of the wrong one coming in I was taking the wife to Hobby Lobby out of town and said "I didn't know this town had an Acadamy". After droppimg her off I returned and in the back was an all black BT .380. It had a grip I didn't expect and was $22 higher then I was going to pay at my local LGS but it was THERE. BTW, here it is.

[​IMG]

My plan was to replace the grip anyway with a Walnut or walnut stained one and sand it to a thin profil anyway. Pros; the finish was better then I ever expected. It fit my nylon holster for my Kahr P9.

Cons; the decocker was as stated, stiff as a board but I have it loosened up quite a bit now. The screws for these grips are way too long to ever be used for thin grips.

My question is; Can I get shorter screws for any replacement grips or can these be cut off? These grips feel OK but are way thicker then I plan for the finished gun. Comment or suggestions appreciated. After 3 days of cleaning and barrel lapping I am about to go fire a few rounds.

2. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw Well-Known Member

Does it have Combat on the roll mark? That would be the newest Thunder model.

3. jpshaw

jpshaw Well-Known Member

No, and the mag is 7+1 so it's not the combat. It's just a BT .380 with that grip on it. BTW I did take it to the local cravess and shot it with the 7 rd mag plus an 8 rd Meggar mag. Used +1 with both. So far no failures but that's only 17 rds. Will take it to the range later.

Shooting into water does give you instant feed-back and I can say the fixed barrel was very accurate. I am pleased so far.

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Congrats on the new BT...!!

Post a range report when you find the time...

5. 9UC

9UC Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Congratulations on the find. I think well enough of the BT-380s that I bought a second one last year for my self and one as a gift to my younger brother.

6. jpshaw

jpshaw Well-Known Member

Still have a question about screws. Can I get shorter ones, other then the ones that came with that wide grip? Really would like to put some thin walnut grips on this thing.

7. bersasales

bersasales Active Member

That is an Academy exclusive pistol - Thunder 380 Matte black with rubber wrap around grips.

8. jpshaw

jpshaw Well-Known Member

I will take it. BTW is there a way to get some shorter grip screws in order to have some thin walnut or walnut stained grips?

9. bersasales

bersasales Active Member

Those are the only screws we have and they work perfectly with the Bersa walnut grips.

10. jpshaw

jpshaw Well-Known Member

I found I can use the screws for the CC model with the walnut panels and they work fine.

Also carry ammo is not showing up around here just FMJ. I have a partial box of Winchester Silver Tips that are probably 25 years old but I don't believe I have enough for a reliability test and still have enough left over to carry.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  11. jpshaw

jpshaw Well-Known Member

Someone told me the CC screws would fit and they are only 3/16" long. He also said the Plus has a shorter screw but it would not fit the BT .380. Either way 3/16" sounds perfect to me. BTW I will be keeping the rubber wrap around grips since they feel great, just a little thick for carry.

12. bmarg711

bmarg711 Gold Member

I just put the wrap around grips from my Firestorm .22 on my Thunder .380. Although it is now a Frankenbersa, I think they feel better as well. The wrap arounds enables me to control the weapon better.

I put the plastic panels on the Firestorm......