Bersa Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
thunder 380 CC owner
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The long version following, skip to the paragraph below for the short version. Last night I watched the Sporting KC Soccer game at my daughter and her husband's house. When I went to leave it was dark and I noticed my right headlight didn't turn on. I checked it out and the bulb works but when you put it in place it shorts out (bmw 540i). I couldn't see well enough to fix it so I just hit the road. Sure enough as I crossed back into Missouri (from Kansas) just across the Missouri River, I got pulled over. It was a Riverside, Missouri officer.

The officer came to my passenger side window and informed me of the headlight being out. I told him that I noticed it and tried to fix it but there was some kind of short in it. He asked for license and registration. And this being my first time stopped since receiving my conceal carry, I was nervous. But I handed him my license, registration, insurance, AND my CC license and then returned both hands onto the steering wheel. He said, "Oh, you have your conceal carry?" I said, "yes". Then he asked if I was carrying and I said yes. He asked where and I told him in my right front pocket of my pants. He said that's strange, I can't see it. What kind of gun is it? I told him a Bersa Thunder Conceal Carry .380. He said, "ok", be right back.

He came back with a warning about the headlight and wished me a good evening. The way I understand Missouri law is that you do not have to reveal that you are carrying when pulled over, but I felt that if I were the officer, I would want that courtesy. It seems to have been the right thing to do with this officer.

Has anyone else been pulled over while carrying?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, twice here in the North Dallas area (Richardson Texas). Once by a young female officer, second time by an older male officer. Handed over my licence and CHL, told them yes, gun on the passenger seat under a jacket.

Each stop lasted less than 5 minutes total and both ended with verbal warnings.

Both officers were extremely polite and professional. I'm early 50s and don't look like trouble so that probably helped too, but both times I told my wife I think the CHL made all the difference between a verbal warning and a ticket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have never been stopped, but before I retired I had a swat member as a client. His position was that he wished every law abiding citizen would carry. He was cool, he was teaching me what ammo would work best in his opinion. My associate did get stopped, but had a very pleasant experience with the officer. After the recent police shootings, quite a few of us were ready to ride along with our officers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been stopped twice and both times I told the officer I have a CCW and CCW license. First time the officer told me to leave them where they were and thanked me for telling him. Second officer told me to leave mine where it was and he would leave his were it was. I have friends that have told me when they were stopped and told officer of CCW they were asked to step out of the car and disarmed by officer. With all the police shootings I would be ok with this. As long as I was treated fairly.

·
Registered
71 Posts
A lot. Each time I will state where said firearm is.While hands are still on the steering wheel I will ask if it is ok to exit car even though they ask to have me step out.I then say I am getting out and what hand will be doing what.
The officer will locate the gun then field strip it and place it on the trunk of his car.After I am let go he will ask for me to wait until he is gone to reassemble my gun.

I act slowly and calmly and state what I am going to do.Always treated fairly.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
North Carolina is a disclosure state. You have to inform any officer that approaches if you are armed. Most of our officers are cool about it. Stories abound. "Officer, I have a gun" response "Good, so do i" . They usually check the expiration date on your permit and that's it.

I go to firearms safety classes about twice a year. At one last year where two officers from a neighboring city dressed down a local officer pretty good. They were talking about stops when the local cop stated that when he stopped a person that was carrying, he had the person hand him the firearm, he would unload it and hand it back. The instructing officers said that was the most asinine thing he had ever heard, that he was putting himself and the person he stopped in jeopardy. Stated that asking where it was, instructing to leave it alone, and checking the CCW was enough.

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
New Jersey is not a disclosure state, and I'm not sure about the surrounding states. I guess in NJ, they figured you have no business with a gun, because so few people have permits to carry them, so there's no need to tell! I've been pulled over in Maryland, Virginia, DC and Pennsylvania. Once I show them my Law Enforcement credentials they probably assume that I'm carrying and the game is over and I'm on my way!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts