Changing revolver finish?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Renaldo, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Renaldo

Renaldo Well-Known Member

Has anyone stripped and redone a finish on a pistol? Right now, all this is a theoretical project that may or may not ever happen:

I'm considering getting a RIA M206 snubby. They can be found for $220 or so and are patterned after a Colt Detective Special. They're cheaply made and come in a parkerized finish that I'm not fond of.

[​IMG]

If I get one of these, and I'm not getting one to carry, I'm getting one to mess around with, what I'd like to do is remove the parkerized finish, I'm assuming at this point by sanding, and then either protect the steal underneath somehow, or even apply another finish.

I'm not a fan of Duracoat or Cerakote type looks. This already has that 'feel' to it. If anything I'd keep it bare metal, blue it, or apply some kind of clear coat to it to protect the bare metal.

Anyone ever done this type of thing before? What sand papers should I work with if you have? Any recommendations on the final finish, as outlined above?

This is all a low budget home project.

2. 71magna

71magna Active Member

I haven’t tried it but I do have a M1934 Beretta that was redone in Cerakote. I personally like it

3. Renaldo

Yeah, I'm just not a fan of the 'kotes.

4. Pistol_Packin_Preacher

Pistol_Packin_Preacher Well-Known Member

5. Renaldo

Blueing would be what I'd prefer, but I wouldn't be able to do the bluing I liked. I've seen people do this with other firearms and I'm thinking that if I decide to tackle this, I'll just leave it bare polished metal.

71magna likes this.
  6. Retired1

Retired1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  7. jbardellini

jbardellini Well-Known Member

Does the Durablue look like a factory blued finish,

8. Renaldo

That's something I'd have to see in person first, I think.

9. jbardellini

jbardellini Well-Known Member

Agreed I only asked because I know what the dura and cera coat looks like but the blue is new to me.

10. Retired1

Skip the first 2:30 and go right to 2:30 in the 1st link

more info -

Skip to 1:15

11. Retired1

While it may look good, it is still a coating, not a real true blueing finidsh.

12. Pistol_Packin_Preacher

Good morning to our NW US Bersa brother Renaldo!

While researching the RIA M206 I find that they also produce this in matte nickel finish.

Would this version be better for you since you do not like the parkerized?

It does make one wonder how durable the parkerized finish really is.

If you had it out in the rain would the finish run off of it like cheap water coloring?

Saw this just now:
    https://www.gunsamerica.com/902637751/Arm-M206-38spl-2-6rd-Free-10-Month-Layawa.htm

And it made me think of your thoughts and desires for the M206.

God bless you my fine brother and have a great weekend!!

Michael

Renaldo likes this.
  13. Renaldo

Hey, thanks for thinking of me!

I've seen those, and usually they run $30-65 more than the parkerized version, which for a low priced pistol is sizeable price jump I think. For revolvers, once you cross the $210 price point you're entering the territory of being able to buy almost any Taurus 85 variant for a few dollars more. People dig on Taurus, and Taurus does deserve some of it, but their revolvers are copies of S&W's and made on the same equipment from when S&W and Taurus were owned by the same conglomerate.

This is something I was thinking of as a project, but I think the lack of options are showing me the folly of it.

14. dutchboy

dutchboy Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey Renaldo,

Have you decided or come up with a plan yet?

15. Renaldo

Yes. I think for now the plan is to skip the RIA and stop coming up with silly projects for myself. lol.

16. Pistol_Packin_Preacher

Hey Renaldo!

I, for one, hope you would still consider your original plan.
    Yes, once you get above the $230 price you are starting to get in the area of Taurus Model 85 money.
    But the one thing that still jumps out at me about the M206, is that extra round.
    Most little .38s are five round capacity.
    That little M206 gives you that one more round to lean on.
    And, though I would make an effort to also get the Pachmayr grips due to giving you a little more meat to hold onto, those smaller wood grips on that wheel gun look awesome.
    That is a handgun I would expect to see Bogey pull out.
    The problem is my two cents on this subject could lead to your $230!
    Just a thought.

God bless!!

Michael

17. dutchboy

dutchboy Well-Known Member Supporter

That makes two of us Rev!

I was kinda hoping as well, just to see how things would turn out.

Next time Renaldo, keep your thoughts to yourself! LOL;)

18. Renaldo

lol You guys go ahead and get yours first. I think my next revolver, whenever that's going to happen, will likely be a .357 now.

dutchboy likes this.
  19. Pistol_Packin_Preacher

Hey Dutch!
    Renaldo laid down the challenge and I will take the bait.
    I ordered a RIA (Armscor) M206 Parkerized snubbie with an external hammer tonight.
    Do not know if I will be rubbin' off the black as Renaldo had considered.
    I have several .357 revolvers and felt it was time to consider a nice little .38 special.
    Debated between the spurless and the external hammer.
    I will see how these are with the hammer and if it turns out to be a nice little beastie I will consider a spurless for the future.
    Not that expensive and so I will be giving a Tell-all expose as soon as it arrives.

God bless!!

Michael

For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1 Corinthians 1:18 NASB

dutchboy and Renaldo like this.
  20. Renaldo

hahaha That's great! Please upload your pics and let us know how it shoots. I've heard Armscor is easy to deal with if there are issues, and their returns are fast.