Can You Spot Anything Wrong Here? Help!

Discussion in 'General Bersa Discussion' started by ponderwilu, Mar 16, 2013.

1. ponderwilu

ponderwilu Active Member

New Bersa Thunder .380 Looks Wrong. Please Help!

I just got my brand spanking new Bersa Thunder 380 home today. I chambered a few "A-Zoom" Snap Caps. Followed these step.
    a) Racked slide all the way back ... locked open.
    b) Ejected empty magazine
    c) Loaded magazine and inserted fully into gun.
    d) Released slide lock to chamber round.
    Then I noticed upon closer examination the small "loaded chamber indicator" was still flush with frame AND there appears to be a gap at the rear of the injector port (see attached photo) that allows me to peer into and see the end of the snap cap slightly. Even though the Snap Cap was in battery. This cannot be normal is it? Please advise before I test fire this at the range.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  2. David

David Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

That is a Bersa Thunder 380, not a CC, so it does not have a loaded chamber indicator. However, I don't know about the other issue. Perhaps someone else will be along to help.

3. ponderwilu

ponderwilu Active Member

Loaded chamber indicator only on CC models ... OK. Now I hope another Thunder owner will let me know if that small gap at the rear of the injector port is normal. Has me kinda concerned.

4. millsriver

millsriver Member

I have not seen that on a Bersa, but it is standard on some Ruger semi-autos without the LCI. It allows you to see if there is a round in battery.

5. ponderwilu

ponderwilu Active Member

Thanks for the reply. I'd still like to hear from another Thunder owner if this pistol is safe to fire with that open gap at the back of the ejector port (with round loaded in the chamber i.e. in battery). Anyone?

6. 9UC

9UC Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I've got two BT380s, both from the seven to eight year old range and with chambered round they look identical to the pictures of the ejection port you've presented in your pictured above. IMHO, I don't think you have a problem.

7. David

Did you try a live round to see if you see the same gap?

8. ponderwilu

ponderwilu Active Member

That's what I wanted to hear! Thanks a million.:D

9. ponderwilu

ponderwilu Active Member

Yes, I just did. Same result.

10. David

Honestly, I don't see a gap. However, from the way you described it, I believe it is safe to shoot.

11. gitphittle

gitphittle New Member

My Bersa looks identical to your pic...however...if your action is not completely closed the gap appears a little more prevelant.....pull the hammer all the way back and release with thumb tension (in a safe direction of course) and make sure it goes completely back. Just one click back and the action has enough play to expose the gap slightly more...I've put a couple hundred rounds thru mine and it works flawlessly.

12. mbartleson

mbartleson New Member

What you see is perfectly normal. I have two new 380 Thunders, both look the same as yours and operate normally Have not had any loading or shooting problems. Note do not release the slide lock to chamber a round, pull the slide back to chamber the round after you insert the mag.

Bart

13. lastmanse

lastmanse New Member

Just pulled my Thunder 380 out of my pocket (one in the chamber) and compared it to your pictures and it looks identical to what you are seeing. I've put quite a few ronds through it and have not had any problems. It appears that what you are interpreting as a gap is the slot into which the spent cartridge ejector claw slides.

14. lastmanse

lastmanse New Member

Just shot it and its fine and dandy. Yep - that's what it is.

15. hotshott

hotshott The "Bass-Tard" Son

I chambered a round into my BT380 and the results are identical to your pics. Just picked up a second BT380 for my wife and hers is the same.

16. Big Bersa

Big Bersa Member

I just checked mine. I've got the exact same gap that you have.

image-836671412.jpg

17. Big Bersa

Big Bersa Member

Mine shoots fine. Have you shot it yet. If not give it a try. As awesome as these guns are you have to try not to forget it's still a $250 mass produced gun. There are bound to be some design anomalies. Notice how I didn't say defects.

18. ponderwilu

ponderwilu Active Member

Thanks guys. Guess all is well. Goin' to the range.

19. Bersa380Plus

Bersa380Plus New Member

I just obtained my Bersa Thunder Plus nickel plated. I love this gun. I traded in my Bersa CC for it. I also noted the lack of the obvious loaded chamber indicator showing red when loaded on my Bersa Plus.

But, I took a close look at the extractor. The look of the extractor does change when loaded vs unloaded. When unloaded the extractor is recessed somewhat. When the chamber is loaded however the extractor protrudes a little less than a millimeter. So I can tell when it is loaded.

However I do wish my Bersa Plus had a real indicator like on the CC.

20. paulm667

paulm667 Active Member

I have the CC model. So it may be a little different. Maybe reach out to Eagle Imports. They are the distributor in the US. as Well, Colorado Gun Works is a warranty shop for Bersa. Their contact info is on the Eagle Imports website.