BersaForum.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'll be the first to admit I know crap about rifles (although I have three shottys & two .22's). That being said, I would like to pick up something that I can do some long distance target practicing with and has enough punch to easily send Bambi's mother to the afterlife. Reliability and accuracy is a must. I would prefer to not have to shell out $2 per round and would like to keep the cost of the rifle reasonable (IMO $1K for a rifle is a waste of money although I wouldn't give a second thought to dropping that on a good 1911. Some priorities eh?). Last issue, recoil. I severely dislocated my shoulder a couple years ago and although I highly doubt it but there is the slim possibility that a very strong recoil could re-dislocate it. Or could that be resolved with a butt pad?

Opinions please.

And before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, this is being posted to multiple forums so I can get a general consensus.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ended up putting a used 7mm magnum Savage 110 bolt action w/ high power scope on layaway at my LGS. I was pretty much open to any action. Came down to a Ruger #1 lever action chambered in .300, a 7mm magnum Ruger 77 bolt action, and a 7mm magnum Savage 110 bolt action. The Savage won out due to it being heavier (absorbs more recoil) and $100 cheaper than the Rugers.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
5,638 Posts
Well, alot of your original criteria went out the window...low recoil, cheap to shoot, etc...but nice choice !

I own a Remington 700BDL in 7mm Rem Mag and it can be counted on to drop anything on this continent and is

very flat shooting out to 300+ yards...but ammo is getting expensive. Good for hunting tho...

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
5,638 Posts
No big deal...this forum and that one both belong to the same owners.

Post pics of that Savage when you find the time...!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts