BT 380 CC...Crimson Trace option

Discussion in 'Bersa Accessories & Gear' started by hilandr, Mar 28, 2013.

1. hilandr

hilandr thunder 380 CC owner

Would you Bersa Thunder 380 ACP Conceal Carry people consider a Crimson Trace grip purchase if it were made available to you? I just contacted the manufacturer and am looking into it!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013
  2. hilandr

So nobody would be interested? Good to know!

3. 4a15

4a15 Member

Hold on, I want one! Hello, first post.

Was about to buy a crimson trace (Optic's Planet for $219 w/ shipping) for my wife's Bersa Thunder 380 CC. I did not realize the "CC" on her pistol was for "concealed carry", and the laser they offer does not fit. Upon closer inspection, is the finger groves the only difference?

Anyway, I would buy one right now if they offered one. She likes her Bersa, she said it's the only pistol that feels right in her small hands.

4. hilandr

5. BARRY

BARRY BARRY

So did I last week. Also have one on my EMP 9mm/

6. David

David Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I don't understand why anyone would need a laser on a BT380, much less a CC. I think its a good idea to have one on any of Bersa's HC, but the .380 series? Why?

7. 4a15

4a15 Member

8. 4a15

4a15 Member

Your right, never mind the whole thing.
    Thank you for your insight - even though it is counterproductive.

Being a "CC" model, the sights suck. It is designed to be carried as a defensive weapon, and this non-snagging, idiot proof, cheater sight add-on that could help her win is a plus. Although I have had hundreds of hours of combat style pistol training / practice time, my wife has not.

And if you find yourself in a defensive fight, the goal is to win, that means always cheat!

9. hilandr

To add to what 4a15 is saying; the sights on the cc 380 are very scant. Any night time event where a quick response is necessary in a low light situation (likely any conceal carry use) it would be helpful to quickly identify a target. Please tell my why you WOULDN'T want to use a laser.

10. BARRY

BARRY BARRY

Main reason for the laser (for me) is not the accuracy of a 3" barrel fired at 7 yds. but when a perp see's that RED Laser line aimed at their body I feel that many would run away.(knowing that there targeted). If not then the automatic reflex should be to fire. Just my opinion....

11. 4a15

4a15 Member

Tis true... a red laser has been proven to influence a "bad guys" consequence driven decision making skills. In other word, Hollywood has actually helped to instill in many minds that with a laser, "you won't miss". Of course one can still easily miss.... but most likely that's not what someone with a laser pointed at their chest would think.

Example: Two years ago I was in a foot pursuit. (Just outed myself) Dude jumped over a nasty chain link fence and fell a few feet off a drop on the other side. I knew I could try to get over the fence, but would most likely get caught up with all my bat gear. While he was still laying on the ground, I pointed my flashlight on him and yelled "Don't move or your going to get tased". Of course I threw in some choice words to let him know I was really serious. He was afraid to move and repeated several times "Don't taze me!" I held him at this point for about 4 minutes until my partner caught up to cuff.

Here is the thing. We only had two Tasers at the department at the time, and I did not have any of them. Dude did not know that thought, he thought the light on him was from my Taser. It was a flat out bluff - a psychological play. He had made it to a point where he could have simply stood up, flipped me off, and disappeared into the darkness. But the fear of "riding the lightning" influenced his consequence driven decision making skills.

Long story short, a bad guy seeing a gun drawn on him will influence his next move, attach a laser to that gun with the business end pointing at his mid-section showing where he may have a hole punched, sways it even further.

Having a laser is about 50% accuracy enhancing, and 50% "oh ****!" factor enhancing.

An automatic laser is great for a CCW gun. A duty gun, maby not so much. Bad thing about a laser is you can see where it's coming from. For a defensive CCW that's great!! For an officer conducting a search while trying to exercise light control, not so good.

12. levelcross

levelcross Well-Known Member

When we were looking for the wife a carry gun we wanted to love the LCP with the CT, sadly this was not the case after shooting it she hated the thing. Then my buddy at the LGS asked if I had looked at the Bersa CC I liked it right off of the bat, the wife loved it also. I picked it up for her Valentines day present a few years ago and the only negative thing is the sights. So a laser for her carry gun...HECK yeah I would love one and I know she would too.

13. David

It has nothing to do with having bigger hands, but everything to do with having a more accurate weapon. A CC is made for very short range defense; a laser is useless in this situation. If you really believe you need a laser in a short range defensive situation, you need more practice, not a laser.

A laser won't help you quickly identify your target; it only pinpoints about where a bullet will hit. A flashlight is better for a low-light situation.

"Run away"??? Are you sure they are always going to "run away" when they see the red dot? No, they won't. They'll possibly "eliminate" the source of the red dot. Think. And practice.

There's a difference between a flashlight and a laser. A flashlight is effective for a duty weapon, which is why most LEOs have flashlights on their sidearms. In the hundreds of interviews I have done, not one had a laser on their sidearm, but almost all had some sort of light, like a flashlight.

There is no substitute for experience, education, and practice. Being an LEO does not make one an expert on defensive carry, as I've learned. Sure, you can put a laser on your CCW, but you'll quickly find that its ineffective when it actually comes to use. A sidearm with a longer barrel, such as an HC, or a carbine... longer than a handgun, shorter than a long range rifle... those would be a good idea to have a laser.

Stop watching so many movies and go out there and interview people who have actually used both CCW (both primary and backups) and who have used lasers. You'll be a little surprised at what you discover.

14. 4a15

4a15 Member

There is a difference between a flashlight and a laser?!?!

Hundreds of interviews?

I / we should should do interviews?

I do agree that many lEO's are not experts. I can only offer my humble opinion as a LEO of 14 years, who always had perfect scores in pistol, carbine, and shotgun, and an NRA pistol instructor, and a 4-H firearms instructor for children.

I also agree that most cops do not have lasers. however you are wrong about most having lights on their pistols.... majority do not. exception would be K-9 handlers.

And as far as your hundreds of interviews....

15. David

You're wrong.

16. David

I'm not going to continue with this silly argument any longer. The last thing I wish to do is degrade this wonderful forum with petty disagreements.

17. Buddy

Buddy Member

Please elaborate on what you don't understand ,or better yet let me say that having a laser is a plus for those of us whose eyes have grown old,whose confidence is boosted by having the laser,and knowing that the BG might mess his pants when he get the red spot.What I don't understand is why it would be acceptable to have one on the HC but not another self defense weapon like the 380 BT or the 380cc. The purpose to defend youself to the very best of your ability is the goal and if one thinks it does help then it probably is helpful,young folks sometimes just don't Understand.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  18. David

How old am I?

19. hilandr

I want to clarify and perhaps help the group understand why i would consider a crimson trace on a 380 cc.

1. It does not have a rail, short of taping a penlite to the frame, I doubt i can use a light (it will no longer fit in my holster and in my pocket). Therefor I started looking at the CT since it is a grip-housed unit.

2. I cannot see well at night and because this is my only gun and it has very small sights, I was looking for a better night time application.

20. David

1) Crimson Trace does not make a laser for the BT CC. Only for the BT 380.

2) The CC has small sights for a reason. It was designed to be a pocket gun, though not many CC owners consider it for pocket carry. I carry mine in my pocket, but I've heard that many others don't like to carry the CC in their pocket.