Bersa Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beware of Bud's guns. I recently ordered a Heritage Rough Rider in 22 that was advertised as having a steel frame. Upon receiving it and getting it home I discovered that it had an alloy frame not steel. I called them and they admitted their mistake but outside of returning it and losing my transfer fee only offered me $20 in a gift card. Stay clear or at least make sure you got what you paid for before transfer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Two, I always check the manufacturer's website/description and do a bit of research before I buy from Bud's (or any other seller). Just seems to be a prudent thing to do. I've bought several firearms through Bod's and have been satisfied with the price and speed, but I had done a LOT of research before ordering.

As for the Heritage RR .22, I have one (bought from a LGS) and it is a pretty sweet weapon at a low price. I got it mostly for firing snake-shot at Copperheads, safely dispatching them about as humanely as possible. Off season, I load up .22 RAMSET blanks (available at hardware stores! to occasionally encourage our horse to come in from his one-hour pasture time when he is obstinate. It stays hidden in our barn area. When my beloved wife was alive, she spent pretty much every night (up to midnight) doing chores in the barn and spacing out the feeding of hay so our horse(s) didn't go any longer than about six hours without some sort of ruffage. She was comforted having the pistol loaded with .22 hollowpoints when she was at the barn alone at night. Since I EDC everywhere, it is now loaded only with blanks.

BTW, the alloy frame isn't bad at all: it survived three days at the bottom of a water trough with only minor surface deterioration (mostly to the finish on the barrel). The alloy frame showed no ill-effects. The internal steel springs suffered no ill-effects either. The laminated grips opened up, but after some baking to dry them out (along with the rest of the pistol), with some judicious use of some Elmers and being kept in a vice overnight, they're in good shape. Barricade coating on everything else worked well. It is a tool, not a show-piece, and that was my expectation. Note that most .22LR carbines (like the Marlin 60 or Ruger 10/22) have aluminum/alloy receivers.

The safety was surprising and new to me, but have grown to like it. Sometimes, all it takes now to get our Hawk in from the pasture is cocking it, or letting the hammer drop with the safety on.

My only gripe is that the front and rear sights are fixed/non-adjustable. For my purposes, it is not a problem; just something I would prefer to have had adjustable. It is definitely a point-and-shoot pistol, with "Kentucky Windage" as your only option for target or at-range shooting. My Ruger Super-Single-Six in .22LR/.22WMR (my first revolver) gets a rest, is all steel, and - frankly - worthy of being called a "showpiece", with an adjustable reat sight from the factory. I didn't want to expose it to snake-shot or blanks, or being in the barn. It was my wife's favorite firearm and her bedside gun, loaded up with CCI MaxiMag. She was a better shot than I with that (or pretty much every firearm we owned) and was very comfortable with it as her bedside gun.

Sorry you're not happy about the alloy frame. I have several .22 pistols and only two (both Rugers) have a steel frame. My EDC .380 has an alloy/aluminum frame and is fine. Better than plastic! Particularly for .22s, an alloy frame should not be an issue at all. But I get your point about false advertising. Were I you (and I'm not), I would enjoy your Heritage RR as it is well made and reliable - particularly for the price. As a Bersa owner, the "for the price" moniker wears thin - it is quality regardless of the price.

Bob

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Two, I always check the manufacturer's website/description and do a bit of research before I buy from Bud's (or any other seller). Just seems to be a prudent thing to do. I've bought several firearms through Bod's and have been satisfied with the price and speed, but I had done a LOT of research before ordering.

As for the Heritage RR .22, I have one (bought from a LGS) and it is a pretty sweet weapon at a low price. I got it mostly for firing snake-shot at Copperheads, safely dispatching them about as humanely as possible. Off season, I load up .22 RAMSET blanks (available at hardware stores! to occasionally encourage our horse to come in from his one-hour pasture time when he is obstinate. It stays hidden in our barn area. When my beloved wife was alive, she spent pretty much every night (up to midnight) doing chores in the barn and spacing out the feeding of hay so our horse(s) didn't go any longer than about six hours without some sort of ruffage. She was comforted having the pistol loaded with .22 hollowpoints when she was at the barn alone at night. Since I EDC everywhere, it is now loaded only with blanks.

BTW, the alloy frame isn't bad at all: it survived three days at the bottom of a water trough with only minor surface deterioration (mostly to the finish on the barrel). The alloy frame showed no ill-effects. The internal steel springs suffered no ill-effects either. The laminated grips opened up, but after some baking to dry them out (along with the rest of the pistol), with some judicious use of some Elmers and being kept in a vice overnight, they're in good shape. Barricade coating on everything else worked well. It is a tool, not a show-piece, and that was my expectation. Note that most .22LR carbines (like the Marlin 60 or Ruger 10/22) have aluminum/alloy receivers.

The safety was surprising and new to me, but have grown to like it. Sometimes, all it takes now to get our Hawk in from the pasture is cocking it, or letting the hammer drop with the safety on.

My only gripe is that the front and rear sights are fixed/non-adjustable. For my purposes, it is not a problem; just something I would prefer to have had adjustable. It is definitely a point-and-shoot pistol, with "Kentucky Windage" as your only option for target or at-range shooting. My Ruger Super-Single-Six in .22LR/.22WMR (my first revolver) gets a rest, is all steel, and - frankly - worthy of being called a "showpiece", with an adjustable reat sight from the factory. I didn't want to expose it to snake-shot or blanks, or being in the barn. It was my wife's favorite firearm and her bedside gun, loaded up with CCI MaxiMag. She was a better shot than I with that (or pretty much every firearm we owned) and was very comfortable with it as her bedside gun.

Sorry you're not happy about the alloy frame. I have several .22 pistols and only two (both Rugers) have a steel frame. My EDC .380 has an alloy/aluminum frame and is fine. Better than plastic! Particularly for .22s, an alloy frame should not be an issue at all. But I get your point about false advertising. Were I you (and I'm not), I would enjoy your Heritage RR as it is well made and reliable - particularly for the price. As a Bersa owner, the "for the price" moniker wears thin - it is quality regardless of the price.

Bob
I did do the research. Went on Heritage web site and found that they do make some in steel frame and figured I was good. My only issue was that I overpaid for what I wanted. I didn't mind the alloy frame but don't like the pearl grips. I thought oh well for $30 I can change the grips to the ones I want and I would have steel frame as a bonus. Now in order to get grips that I like I have to still pay $30 and that makes it $50 more than if I would of ordered the one with the grips I like.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Notice Two Good To Be True... WARNING>>> WARNING we all med an extra magazine...
I Read someones' post regarding this biz site having Bersa Magazines ..I am still searching for Thunder 380 Plus mags in case you know of a legit biz... WARNING www.rainersec.com <<<<<< WARNING >>>>> was what I got from my security software... and stopped before opening this site.... Stated "site not secure your information especially could be copied by others"""
The teaser used was a 380 plus magazine I believe they listed one at $26.00 and are in stock???? To all my brothers and sisters in arms way>>>> Now You KNOW!.and >Merry Christmas
BEWARE >>>https://www.raniersec.com/product/bersa-thunder-plus-magazine-black-380-acp-15rds/

·
Registered
49 Posts
Notice Two Good To Be True... WARNING>>> WARNING we all med an extra magazine...
I Read someones' post regarding this biz site having Bersa Magazines ..I am still searching for Thunder 380 Plus mags in case you know of a legit biz... WARNING www.rainersec.com <<<<<< WARNING >>>>> was what I got from my security software... and stopped before opening this site.... Stated "site not secure your information especially could be copied by others"""
The teaser used was a 380 plus magazine I believe they listed one at $26.00 and are in stock???? To all my brothers and sisters in arms way>>>> Now You KNOW!.and >Merry Christmas
BEWARE >>>Bersa Thunder Plus Magazine Black .380 ACP 15Rds – RANIER GUN STORE
BEWARE >>>Bersa Thunder Plus Magazine Black .380 ACP 15Rds – RANIER GUN STORE
Yeah, Bersa .380 Plus mags are still rare, and I won't get a BT380Plus until I have six of the mags in hand. Not a big priority, as my BT.380 Combat has six spare mags (8+1 rounds), plus one DLX mag (nine rounds) I always carry. My BT380 Combat (8+1 as carried) plus a DLX mag also carried should be sufficient. I often (depending on the season) carry another spare 8-round mag. Frankly, if those three mags don't do the job, I should just not leave home. Understand I live in a rural area and avoid nasty places. If things look nasty beyond my gate, I just won't go out and make sure my carbines are ready and loaded.

But a BT380+ with six spare mags would be kinda sweet. No rush.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Beowolf, thanks! The curious thing would be if they work okay in the Combat model - which takes the same mag as the CC (8+1). The DLX ones (9+1) from Bersa work fine in my Combat.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Beowolf, thanks! The curious thing would be if they work okay in the Combat model - which takes the same mag as the CC (8+1). The DLX ones (9+1) from Bersa work fine in my Combat.
No clue sorry. I don’t own a 380. Just the thunder 9 UCpro. Just trying to help. You’d have to call them to see if it would work in your specific model as I know next time nothing about them specifically.

By the way, Promag also seems to make 380 mags. And looks like in several different variants.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No clue sorry. I don’t own a 380. Just the thunder 9 UCpro. Just trying to help. You’d have to call them to see if it would work in your specific model as I know next time nothing about them specifically.

By the way, Promag also seems to make 380 mags. And looks like in several different variants.

I wonder how this tread got stolen? I started out saying I got ripped off by Bud's false advertising and all of a sudden we are talking about magazines for a Bersa Thunder 380 of some type. It

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My bad. Was just trying to answer a question. Got a little out of hand. Lol
I was expecting some chatter confirming my situation with Bud's. Like others experience with them and or experience with other companies that were an issue for the person.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have only purchased from Bud's once and it was some ammunition. It was a pleasant experience, but I wasn't purchasing a gun.

I've heard mixed reviews on the Promag Bersa magazines. I own one but have only used it once or twice and that was years ago. IIRC, I had a problem with the final round in the magazine loading properly. Next time I take the Bersa to the range I will use that magazine and gather more data.

I think I have seen a Bersa factory magazine at an AAFES BX/PX. So, if you have access to a military base with a BX/PX that sells guns, that might be an option.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have only purchased from Bud's once and it was some ammunition. It was a pleasant experience, but I wasn't purchasing a gun.

I've heard mixed reviews on the Promag Bersa magazines. I own one but have only used it once or twice and that was years ago. IIRC, I had a problem with the final round in the magazine loading properly. Next time I take the Bersa to the range I will use that magazine and gather more data.

I think I have seen a Bersa factory magazine at an AAFES BX/PX. So, if you have access to a military base with a BX/PX that sells guns, that might be an option.
Hey I have had some good buys from Bud's. It just bothers me to get taken by false advertising. Just prior to the Heritage incident, I bought a Bersa Thunder 380 in nickel for a great price. I also bought a Savage Axis in 243 for way below what others were asking, and before that I bought a Ruger lcp 2 in 22. All good deals. But now I have a sour taste and it will take a long time before I buy on impulse from them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Beware of Bud's guns. I recently ordered a Heritage Rough Rider in 22 that was advertised as having a steel frame. Upon receiving it and getting it home I discovered that it had an alloy frame not steel. I called them and they admitted their mistake but outside of returning it and losing my transfer fee only offered me $20 in a gift card. Stay clear or at least make sure you got what you paid for before transfer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a CZ 75 from Buds, they ship me one called "duty". I thought I got a bargain until I found out it is a very early model CZ, when I talked to CZ about a duty model and they found out it was such an early model, they didn't know what to say. They just danced around the subject leaving me in the dark. Don't get me wrong, it shoots great but

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bought a CZ 75 from Buds, they ship me one called "duty". I thought I got a bargain until I found out it is a very early model CZ, when I talked to CZ about a duty model and they found out it was such an early model, they didn't know what to say. They just danced around the subject leaving me in the dark. Don't get me wrong, it shoots great but
They recently sent me an email saying I had won a $50 gift certificate. I tried to use it online and it said it was either invalid or had no value. It took 3 phone calls and 45 min of on hold time to actually use it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts