best ammo

Discussion in 'General Bersa Discussion' started by CHASER, Mar 2, 2013.

1. CHASER

CHASER Member

Hello all. I just purchased my new thunder duo tone acp and was wondering what is the best ammo based on your experiences with this pistol. I have to pick it up at Gander Mountain and can't wait to shoot it.

2. LT2108

LT2108 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporter

Welcome to the Bersa Firearms Forum !

3. rond

rond Well-Known Member

In these times the best ammo is what's in stock. I've never had a problem with any ammo in my Bersa centerfires. Buy what you can find and shoot a few boxes to break in the gun get comfortable with it.

4. CHASER

CHASER Member

Thanks glock. This forum is very informative.
    Thank you Rond. You're right. I find that wherever you go, the shelves are bare.

5. hilandr

hilandr thunder 380 CC owner

I have had some misfeed/stovepiping early in my breakin period. I shot many many different rounds but one round was problematic at least for my Bersa Thunder 380 Conceal Carry. What I found to be the problem was this.

[​IMG]

6. Valent

Valent Member

Remington and Blazer range ammo feeds good for brake in, Hornady Crytical Defense and Corbon DPX for SD. What is the model in question?

7. CHASER

CHASER Member

8. David

David Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Shoot as many target rounds as you can to break it in and become familiar with the way it handles. Please don't use "TulAmmo". Bersa doesn't like them!

As for self-defense ammo, the follow is my personal choices:

.380ACP
    - COR-BON DPX
    - Speer Gold Dot (current)
    - Federal HST
    - Winchester PDX-1

9. CHASER

CHASER Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the advise. Right now i can't shoot anything because I can't seem to find any ammo, anywhere! Online and in stores. They are all out of stock. Never realized how bad it was until I bought this gun and started looking for ammo for it. Crazy!

10. David

Try gunbroker and www.gunbot.net.

11. 9UC

9UC Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The philosophy I was taught by another Bersa forum years ago was stick with a good grade, American made, brass cartridged, FMJ round nose for the first 250-500 rounds. I've heard that you can use Winchester flat nose after complete break in. I had so many FTCs with them when gun was new I've never tried them again. Absolutely no Russian and/or steel case ammo ever as they will eventually damage extractor. This also reminds me, don't use any JHPs until you've run 250 to 500 rounds as they will act like flat nose and hand up on the feed ramp.

For self defense, Corbon DPX test the best on both water jug and ballistics gel tests followed by Buffalo Bore, (both use a Barnes projectile), Speer Gold Dot then Federal Premium HST. I've personally used the first three and agree that Corbon is the best in the 380.

12. David

13. David

It works now. All I did was give it a good cleaning!