Bersa Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tapping the collective wisdom of this august body, I was wondering if my new Bersa .380 will shoot +P ammo safely and what is the hardest hitting round for HD? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
My personal opinion is not to shoot +p in any cartridge that SAAMI does not recognize. 380 acp is one of those. It will increase recoil and wear and tear. Published data does show about a 150 to 200 percent increase in velocity in standard vs " hot" commercial 380 ago round.

My favorite hollow point bullet across the board for any of my defensive handguns is the Hornady XTP. However I do find penetration in the 380 acp to be marginal and have started leaning toward truncated cone designs. The truncated cone penetrates better and is quite effective at tissue disruption.

·
Registered
30 Posts
+P is not only unrecommended

It is truly not necessary. You are probably thinking you want something for HD ammo that has stopping power. If you watch some youtube video tests on the .380, you will find it has quite good power, penetration and wound track using JHP (Jacked Hollow Point) ammo.

Personally I chose Federal Premium Hydra Shok 90gr for my carry ammo. There are many similar.

I would recommend that when you do buy some, take it out to the range and try 50 rounds or so. I know that is a bit pricey however; the Bersa has been known to have an occasional FTF with the carry ammo and that is the last thing you want in a HD situation. Make sure your mag spring are nice and tight and dependable.

If you want more capacity, the 9 round DLX magazine fits the Bersa Thunder 380 quite well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts