Bersa Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions and/or photos of an Uncle Mikes, size 1, IWB, Open Style, (No Retention Strap) Holster. Does it fit the Bersa Thunder? Any issues? Long term use, does it last? Is the material comfortable? Anything else would be greatly appreciated. Any lefties out there? How does this Holster fit respective of the manual safety?

Thanks,

·
Registered
856 Posts
MCOH1030:

I cannot speak in regards to how it fits the BT380 but I do have an Uncle Mikes for another firearm.

They are a very smooth material.
It will not scratch your firearm at all.
But it is very pliable.
It will collapse in a little when the firearm is out of it.
I feel it makes it harder to put the gun in if the holster is in place.
Most of the time you will be fitting the holster/gun in place together which will work fine.
But if you take the gun out for any reason it is a little harder to get the gun back in.
I feel this is a great holster to carry your gun in an inside pocket of a denim jacket or something.
But I used it as my carry holster for just a very short time.
I do like my Uncle Mike's Shoulder holster.

Just some thoughts.

God bless!!

Michael

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ThankS Mike,

That info is a help for sure. I never considered putting it back in, when wearing it. I can see how that would be an issue with a holster, (non-kydex), like the Uncle Mikes. But hey, if it comes out, it probably won't be going back in until it's ALL CLEAR. :D

·
Registered
856 Posts
To Uncle Mikes or not to Uncle Mikes!

I thought of that when I wrote it that it might only come out for potentially a drastic reason.

But there are the times when you would pull it out for non-drastic reasons as well.

1) If you are getting into the car and it is uncomfortable or in the way of the seat belt.
2) If it falls out during a non-residential potty run.
3) If taken out to show another Bersa fan that has never handled your model and would like to see it in hand.
4) If taking it out to go into a building or residence you may not want to take it.

These are a few and there may be other reasons.

These are some thoughts that went into my response.
Especially since you want one without a retention strap.
Other holsters like Crossbreed and Alien Gear have retention through the holster grabbing the trigger guard but the Uncle Mikes will just lightly hold your firearm.
With an Uncle Mikes you will be retaining it strictly with your side and how tight your belt will be.

I like them but I am not a big fan for using it as my number one holster.
Again, that is strictly my opinion.

Again, welcome to the forum!

God bless!!

Michael

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Non-Residential Potty Run

Yikes :eek:

What's that all about?

I can see your point about the Uncle Mike's Open Style Holster not holding the weapon tightly. That seems to make a lot of sense. When bending forward, it would appear that a weapon could dislodge from the holster. Since there's nothing to hold it in place, like a retention strap.

I know Uncle Mikes makes a holster with a retention strap. But my feeling is, I don't want another thingy to flip out of the way in an emergency. As it is the Bersa 380 has a safety and while the Double Action Trigger Pull is around 10 lbs, I'd still consider holstering the weapon with the safety in the ON position. That means I'd have to first flip open the retention strap, find the safety switch, flip it off and then draw.

Not too many people go for the Uncle Mikes for the Bersa. But a lot do go for the Bondy Vega Holster. Which is made of really nice material, but covers the entire gun. Not something that make a quick draw possible.

Any thoughts on that???

·
Registered
856 Posts
I totally understand and agree.
But I am not sold on the Uncle Mike's for everyday carry.
That is why I prefer those like the Alien Gear and Crossbreed that have the retention system where there is not a strap to remove first.

And I do like the Uncle Mike's for my upper inner coat pocket.
I am right handed and with a left handed IWB without retention I can clip it to my inner pocket and carry the firearm there.
This keeps the firearm from falling down to the bottom of deep inside coat pockets.

Like most everything in this world, there is a good time or use for the Uncle Mikes.

And yes, there are times when an IWB without any type of retention would be fine.
But in my busy life which includes a lot of bending over, I prefer a little retention for my firearm.

And "Yikes!"???

That is what that is all about.

What I would call "my opinion".

Fear not!!

I will not bore you with it again.

God bless!!

Michael

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Michael.

The Yikes was me goofing around about what you said about the non-residential potty runs.

As for what you've come up with for the Uncle Mikes, (using in inside the upper pocket of your jacket) that's really creative. And I appreciate you sharing that info. I'm down in Florida. So jackets are rare at best. Lot's of warm weather clothing, which makes conceal carry very tuff.

It's doable. But finding the right combination, (gun/holster) is critical to keeping things truly concealed and feeling good with the weapon attached to your person all day long. I'm guess, like you said, the Uncle Mikes has a place. Finding where and what it's place is, will be another story.

Holsters are one of the more difficult things to deal with, in as much as there aren't stores dedicated to just selling holsters. So trying different ones out, usually means shipping, packing, and returning, via amazon or ebay.

I'm also left handed, which means I don't find things in stock at the stores under any circumstances. But, at gun shows I stand a good chance of finding different things. That may be my next stop.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I normally carry two pistols. I regularly find quality left handed holsters (LH) online - just not as common as the right handed models (RH). Often, the LH versions are a bit cheaper than the RH versions, if they don't sell quickly (send the seller an offer - the most they can do is say no).

I suggest a Galco F.L.E.T.C.H. model in left hand. Its what I use for my Bersa Thunder 380 Pluses, Glock, and my S&Ws.

Diligent searching and not being in a hurry helps.

·
Registered
856 Posts
mcoh1030:

I apologize.
I took things the wrong way.
I appreciate you and your opinion and all you are and certainly am glad you are a Bersa brother and you are here as part of our family.
Please, do not let anything I said get in the way of any of your honesty and thoughts on your posts.
Sometimes I have to do what I tell others - Stop and think.
Honestly, it is not that fun to do but it sure spares one of a lot of embarrassment later!
Remember, bear the pain, not the shame.

God bless you brother!!!!

Michael

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a one of uncle Mike's that came with a belt clip and a strap.
They were attached to the holster with velcro.
I have removed both, the strap and the clip. I inserted a double pin Insignia in the pocket where the velcro was.
I poke these pins thru the pants and I put the caps on it. The result is an incredible concealed gun with easy access. I can even use a short tshirt while i lift my right arm to pick up things from a shelf.
Its important to learn the exact location where to place it so it will be comfortable while riding the bike or in the car

·
Registered
856 Posts
I always wonder what might be the best holster for me.
And I know each person has his personal likes and dislikes.
And, when you do find a "Five Best Holsters" list it is still created by a human and will have a bit of bias into it.

So here is what came through my email, a complete (I guess) list of holsters and rated.
http://www.gun-tests.com/ppv/default.html?ET=guntests:p757:2331547a:&st=pmail&s=p_Holsters121716&product_id=26485

This is not the actual guide but the link to the guide that is for sale.

Since this is a holster thread I thought some might be interested.

Also, here is another thread from another forum from 2011 on Uncle Mike's holsters.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=436143

The above rogue thread is just meant to give other people's opinions of that manufacturer/model of holster.

God bless!!

Michael

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good Morning P.P.P.

Thanks for the update, links and information. And by the way, no offense taken. I just like goofing around.

I have a specific reason for asking about the Uncle Mikes. Follow me on this;

I'm left handed. The Bersa Thunder .380 has a manual safety/Decocker on the left side, (friendly for right hand thumb operation, but not so friendly for left handers). Given that I'd prefer to carry, safety on, round in the chamber, my thoughts are that, because I'm left handed and would need "clear access" to the safety, so as to be able to flip it off, with the pointer finger of my left hand, as I'm accessing the Bersa from the holster, I'm going to require a holster that allows access to the safety. Now if you look carefully at the Uncle Mike's Open Style Holster for left handers, (the picture below is for IWB right not left) you'll notice that one side of the holster covers less of the gun than the other side.

This is a rarity in IWB holsters. Sure once in a while you'll see this style and by different manufacturers. But I've been unable to find an open style, (no retention strap) in a comfortable material, offering the same design. The Vega holster covers the entire gun. And for me, that just won't work. And honestly, I have no clue how righties access a holster like than and still manipulate the safety. It's covered up. Which means they have to switch off the safety after the pistol is drawn.

My preference and because I'm left handed, my need is to switch off the safety, just as I access the holster to draw out the gun. The long double action trigger pull acts as a 2nd safety. One of the main reasons I selected the Bersa.

I even contacted Bersa to find out if I could order a Thunder .380 with a right side safety/decocker. Their answer was NO. Lovely.

I would really like to hear you thoughts on this. Thanks,

·
Registered
856 Posts
Thank you!

That was a good explanation.

Honestly, for the price, you can always try the Uncle Mikes and see how it works out.
That was my first holster.
Why?
The price made it an inexpensive holster to see if I like it.
I actually still use it as a holster I will keep one of my handguns in as it is stored because it is soft and protective for the gun.
And their shoulder holster is not that bad.
I will use that when riding the motorcycle since I want quick access while riding.
I love to ride out in the country and back roads.
Came across a bear and a wild cat already.
And what helped encourage it even more was a close couple of ours that lives up in the Burlington, Pa. area said they have seen a mountain lion or two.
He said one sat hunched along the road as if to leap.
He is a Goldwing rider so he had a little more meat around him for protection but he still did not like the looks of it.
The state says there are no mountain lions in Pa. but they are an obvious animal by their tail.
So the state is lion! (Get it??)

Give it a try and see what you think.
In may be, for you as with others, the start of a holster drawer!
But then, it may be just what you are after.

Let us know what you think about it.

God bless and have a great Christmas season!!

Michael

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As soon as I pick it up, (finding a store that carrys left side is near impossible), I'll let you guys know what I think. Your 100% right Mike, it's cheap enough and why bother making a fuss over it. There'll always be a use for it somewhere down the road.

Great story about the mountain lion. I'm originally from New York and visit often, (upstate in the mountains). Lot's of folks up there claim that mountain lions still exist. I think I caught a glimpse of a black bear once. But couldn't be sure as it was just getting dark and it was at a distance. See deer all the time, raccoons, woodchucks, etc.... Down in Florida we have loads of bob cats and their tuff too. If their in a pack, forget it. I wouldn't be messing with them. One morning early, still dark, I ran into a group of 3 cubs with the mother. I tried backing down the mom from distance and she held her ground. I'm thinking the cubs would have joined in the battle if one got started. But the cubs were at a very safe distance from me. So I figured she wouldn't bother going for it with me. I just wasn't that big a threat.

Glad you were able to understand my explanation of the holster. Now I try and get it locally, if not order it on-line.

Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recommend you go to the Alien Gear website and check out their Cloak Tuck 3.0, for IWB concealed carry. I have been using one for a couple of months now, and really like it. And I believe you can order both left and right hand holsters with the Kydex molded to fit the gun. I am using for a Sig P290, and the Bersa 380CC is just a tad bit longer than that. I am thinking of getting an A.G. for my new 380CC. They are about $43 or so. You can contact them about the question of accessing the safety. Their customer support is good.

http://aliengearholsters.com/alien-gear-cloak-tuck-3-0-iwb-holster-inside-the-waistband.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0

I've own the Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 IWB. It's a sturdy product. But it was a VERY LARGE IWB Holster when you take into account the leather backing that attaches to the Kydex holster. Also, I didn't love the adjustments for the cant. I've attached a picture of the product to give a sense of how large it is.

While at a gun show recently there was a company at the show creating Kydex Holsters. Having seen them at a previous show at the same venue, I decided to bring one of my hand guns to the show and have them make me an IWB Kydex Holster to fit my gun. Cost, roughly 45 bucks. The Holster itself in merely a fraction larger than the width of the gun. The gun stays inside the holster very nicely and there are adjustment screws for tightening the holster to the leather backing. The leather backing is the same width as the gun and the Kydex. So I'm attaching a photo of one of their holsters to give you a sense of what a standard size IWB holster might look like in Kydex, through their company.

Again, nothing against Alien Gear. The company was very responsive and accepted my return without a problem.

On a different note, I did keep their Gun Belt, which I happen to think is, for the price, EXCELLENT.

I would like to see Alien Gear represented at more of the shows. Maybe even offer services to custom build on-site. I think that would make a lot of sense. Given that people like to physically see a product and try it out before going through the hassle of mail order.

Attachments

·
Registered
625 Posts
Can't help you with IWB since I don't use them, but I do use Uncle Mikes. This is an Uncle Mikes gutted belt slide. The retention straps have been cut away leaving only two panels of nylon plus the belt loops. Sorry, I don't remember the size and all labels are removed also. I've never seen a flatter holster.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Requesting news on the hunt!

MCOH1030:

How is the hunt coming for the Uncle Mikes?
Have you found your needed size and side of carry?
If so, what are your thoughts?
Would love to hear them.

God bless Bersa brother!!

Michael

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I own the Uncle Mikes and Can Now Give an Accruate Review

So I've been meaning to follow up on this Post for a while now. So thanks for writing and reminding me. I hope you've been well Preacher!!

This is the story on the Uncle Mikes, LET HANDED, Open Style, IWB Holster for Bersa Thunder .380, Size 1, Product # 89012.

1) It's made of a very soft material that is comfortable and somewhat durable.

2) The reason I purchased it was because of the way it's cut / shaped so that left handers can access the manual safety, easily and without obstruction. In that sense it has met my expectations perfectly. The Holster is cut or shaped in a way that allows left handers to easily access the safety. However, if I was making a holster to fit the Bersa Thunder perfectly, the cut or shape of the holster would have the material slightly higher up along the safety side of the gun. So that more of the material would cover the trigger guard. Literally up to the base of the guard where it meets the pistol grip.

3) The clip on this holster is garbage. It's cheap, flimsy and unreliable. It can not be adjusted in any way and it leave the pistol riding high when tucked. And I don't like my pistols riding high, inside the waist band as I find that they often times feel as though they might fall out. Unacceptable.

4) As a result, I do not wear this holster IWB, but rather in the pocket. I may just remove the clip entirely.

So, for the price, it has served it's purpose thus far. And that is as a holster to keep my gun warm at night and to allow me to see just how I would customize a holster for left hand carry, with the Bersa Thunder .380. And once I create something "perfect" I will share that here as well.

In the meantime, what I'm really looking for right now, are nite sites for this pistol and I'm having a heck of a time.

Here's the photo; Note how on the Left Handed holster, the Manual Safety is "CLEARLY" ACCESSIBLE.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts