Bersa thunder 380 CC Slide Lock issue

Discussion in 'General Bersa Discussion' started by hilandr, Mar 11, 2013.

1. hilandr

hilandr thunder 380 CC owner

I have run over a thousand rounds through my Bersa thunder 380 CC, when I try to use the slide lock, it will only work with a magazine in it. This just became apparent to me since at the outdoor range they asked me to empty the mag and lock it open for their review.

Isn't it suppose to lock whether there is a magazine or not? Any suggestions?

2. David

David Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

No, it will not lock back without a mag unless you push the lock up.

3. hilandr

So that is by design?

4. David

Yes.

Remove mag, pull slide back (eject bullet if necessary), push slide stop up, rest gun, empty mag. The slide can be also locked back if the inserted mag is empty, then the mag removed.

5. jdd123

jdd123 Well-Known Member

On my wifes 380cc if you insert the mag a little hard it will slam the slide shut. Only had about 150rd through it

6. David

ALL of my Bersa handguns did (and do) that, but I have no idea if it was designed that way. Never hurt anything.

7. jdd123

jdd123 Well-Known Member

That's what I figured it wouldn't hurt anything.

8. hilandr

One of the ranges I go to requires ejected mags and fully opened slides. I can't make mine stay open, so they are all uncomfortable with it. I just grabbed a chamber flag and stuffed it in.

[​IMG]

9. David

I'm really intrigued by this issue. Wish I knew more.

10. hilandr

It will only stay open if there is a magazine in it (loaded mag or unloaded mag). I thought when I first bought it that it would stay open. I cannot even use the thumb slide lock unless there is a mag in it. I wonder if it is just wear because it does seem worn. I do want to know if this is typical or not. I may want to write to Bersa and discuss my options. I am not willing to just send it carte blanche, since it is my carry pistol. I'd be naked without it.

11. jdd123

jdd123 Well-Known Member

I don't go to ranges I have 3 different pieces of land to shoot on so I don't see it causing a problem for me or the wife since it is her gun. I carry a glock 26 but have been considering getting a thunder plus

12. dmurrey

dmurrey New Member

The Bersa Thunder line has an issue with it that I have heard about. when you "slam the magazine" into place releasing the slide lock and chambering a round. This wears down the slide catch notch and over time it will prevent the slide from being able to stay back without a magazine it it. Check the notch for wear and see if that isn't why you are having trouble keeping the slide back

13. Goatboy

Goatboy Member

My 644 will lock open on the last shot and stay open when I eject the magazine. It will not lock open if I manually cycle the slide without a mag. If I recall right I had a problem with the slide not locking open when I first bought the gun. I found that the notch for the locking lever was milled at too shallow of an angle. I gave it a couple of licks with a small file and it has worked perfectly ever since. I don't know if the 644 is mechanically similar to the .380 but they look similar from the pictures.

14. hilandr

Good call. It is at a pretty slippery angle. It shouldn't hurt it to add a bit more guts to that angle!

15. cjbiv

cjbiv Member

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  16. HaggardFox

HaggardFox Member

I Did research on this a while back when I first got mine. The slide catches are made on an angle because apparently in Brazil They don't release their slides after a mag is loaded with their thumbs. They designed it for the slide to be released by pulling back on the whole slide when the gun is loaded. If you repeatedly use your thumb to release the slide it will wear it down and start to release on it's own which is a safety issue. Luckily for me my primary carry is a STI Shadow so I plan on taking advantage of my warranty by sending to get fixed.

17. hilandr

Since I carry every day, I am looking at doing some filing on it. I will start slowly and see how it works. I hope to video it so I can share.

18. ZeppelinDru

ZeppelinDru New Member

What was the result?i been having the same issue...

19. HaggardFox

HaggardFox Member

Send it in or file it to catch better.

20. jpshaw

jpshaw Well-Known Member

Ditto on David. Almost all semi-autos are designed this way. They lock open when the empty mag is in but require you to push the slide stop up when there is no mag.