Awesome S&W news!

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by Pistol_Packin_Preacher, May 19, 2017.

1. Pistol_Packin_Preacher

Pistol_Packin_Preacher Well-Known Member

Sometimes the news is big - like electing a new President who was a long shot to win.

And then sometimes the news is huge - like two new S&W revolvers hitting the market!!!

S&W Models 66 and 69 in short barrelled .357 Mag and .44 Mag.

Me being a revolver guy, well, this is Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter rolled into one!

http://www.guns.com/2017/05/18/smith-wesson-combat-magnum-revolvers/

Three things remain constant, they will have S&W quality, S&W buttery triggers, and S&W PRICING!

That means waiting a year or two for someone to purchase, feel remorse, and trade it in.

IF someone trades them in.

Most people hold onto their revolvers like MOM holds onto his Hi Points!!

Too bad these did not come out in time to hit Gander Mountain shelves before their Going Out of Business Sale.

Then they would be 5% off their 6% above MSRP prices!!

Wisdom, as is expressed upon below, says wait it out.

Well, I will try, I guess, maybe.

God bless!!

Michael

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy. Now the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.
    James 3:17-18 NKJV

2. Retired1

Retired1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Just when I was hoping that nothing else would come along that I would just HAVE to have. :eek:

I have a 3" stainless J frame .357 and a 3" stainless N frame .44 mag. These new S&Ws would make great additions to my "keeper" collection.:D:D

Now, to decide what to sell to fund the purchase of these? :confused::confused:

Update: I am just a bit disappointed to find out these have glass beaded finish and not satin finish. Not a deal breaker, but I prefer the satin finish.

Note to self: Do not reach into the candy dish to retrieve a Rollo while typing in the Bersa Forum with a cup of coffee sitting in front of me. Putting my fingers into the coffee was not what I was expecting. :(

Last edited: May 19, 2017

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Think I own all the S&W's I want or need...

.44 Magnum

[​IMG]

.357 Magnum

[​IMG]

.45 ACP

[​IMG]

9MM

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    Retired1 likes this.
  4. Pistol_Packin_Preacher

Smith vs the rest of the world!

I would think most of the retired LEOs on the forum might have a S&W or two on hand.
    Those that use handguns as a means to stay alive know the value of a Smith.
    Plus, most here are from the era where the PD carried revolvers and not semi autos.
    When I was a dispatcher I remember our biggest police force (Williamsport, Pa. - about 60 men) switching from Smith revolvers to Glocks.
    That was a big thing back then.
    Having capacity boost up like that.
    Besides, the other side already had them (better union?)

God bless!!

Michael

5. Retired1

I hit the streets in 1976. I worked in a Chicago suburb. We were required to have a S&W or Colt, .357, 4" barrel as a primary weapon. Second guns were not regulated, nor were back up guns. I had a nickel plated S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman and a custom snub nose Colt New Service in .45 (Long) Colt that was soon replaced by a S&W 39. My back up was a High Standard derringer or a S&W Model 60.

2 years later, I moved to Texas and carried the Model 28 and the Model 60 as the dept I then worked for did not allow 2 weapons visible. About 1979, I again changed agencies and became motor cop. I had a matched pair of nickel plated S&W Model 59s. They were damaged when I was hit head o during a pursuit. I then got my first Glock 17s (a consecutive numbered pair). I sold the Model 28 as it was totally worn out by then. I sold the Model 60 and the High Standard when I needed some quick cash. I kept the G17s until the G22 came out. That was about 1990? I sold the G17s and bought one G22, which I carried daily for about 32 years (I still carry it when I venture to areas I deem most hazardous to me).

As the years wore on, I missed my S&W revolvers, so I picked up one here and there. I now have an assortment of them from small to large. I carry them fairly regularly, depending on where I travel to. With the exception of my recently acquired 638 and my former 642 (now in my wife's possession after she found out I had sold her 642), they are too nice to carry where they will get beat up...(I have my Bersas for that :D)

Just as an aside, but related, when I was at a gun show in OKC a few weeks ago, one of the uniformed OKC police Sgt.s had a large frame S&W revolver with custom wood grips and a Sterling Silver butt plate. :cool::cool: These were very fashionable in the mid 1980s. From the looks of his, he has been carrying his since the 1980s. I want an engraved Sterling Silver butt cap for my wood 629 grips !!!!!!!!

This is my current .357 J frame, 3":
    [​IMG]

6. beatrice0

beatrice0 New Member

I haven't noticed these things before.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  7. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the forum from deep south Texas. You might want to introduce yourself on the new members section.

8. mulescj8

mulescj8 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Yes Please model 66 357, maybe Santa will get me one for Christmas next year:rolleyes:

9. Pistol_Packin_Preacher

Terry, that may be one of the most beautiful firearms I have ever seen.

Enjoy that there buddy!

On "The Adventures of Brisco County Jr" nobody was to touch Pete's piece.

I can see (and understand) Terry feeling that way about "Terry's piece"!

God bless ya brother!!

Michael

Retired1 likes this.
  10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

That IS a beautiful piece Terry !!

Retired1 likes this.
  11. Pistol_Packin_Preacher

Good morning Bersa brothers and sisters!

In keeping with this thread title, S&W is at it again!

Two more 686 revolvers coming out that look gorgeous!

http://www.guns.com/2017/11/07/sw-a...enhancements-to-model-686-686-plus-revolvers/

They have the high quality S&W finish, the high quality S&W look, and the high S&W price tag.

But with so much low quality in the world today, S&W always remains at the top.

Not quite "Terry's Piece", but still great firearms!

God bless!!

Michael

For this reason also, since the day we heard of it, we have not ceased to pray for you and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, Colossians 1:9 NASB

Retired1 likes this.
  12. Retired1

To me, they look a bit strange - maybe too futuristic, but still represent what S&W does best,

Michael: Thanks for posting,