Auto Ordnance Firearms Thread

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by SHOOTER13, Sep 26, 2012.

1. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

This thread can be used to discuss and display pictures of your favorite firearms produced by Auto Ordnance...

This is my Auto Ordnance PKZSE...a WWII M1911a1 style replica with a parkerized finish, a standard 7+1 mag capacity, and rudimentary GI sights.

[​IMG]

2. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Yes it appears that you have good taste in guns. This is a bright blue one that was made supposedly after they had some quality control problems. Well, that was what I read in a gun rag. I got this one off an old guy at a show that was wanting a Simth Mod 10. Even swap. Most accurate 1911 I ever owned. Got a set of Pachys on it. No other mods. Shot better than Colts I had. Shot better than a so called custom Colt that a buddy has.

Ihad another one like it I bought off a guy at a show. It shot very well, but not as good as this one. I had to sell it when I sold a bunch due to job loss. It went about that same time as an Argentine Systema.

Had a Taurus 1911 last year that I got in a swap. It had every bell and whistle that you could think of and worked very well. It also shot a foot low at combat range. Not what I wanted in a .45. It's suppose to shoot where ya aim it. Moved it along.

My one and only Auto Ord .45

http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/...tion=view&current=AutoOrdmance1911_edited.jpg

Notice ya have a Thompson SMG in your Sig Line. Ever have one? I had a semi-auto. And like a dumb azz. I traded it. It was one of the guns that was sold as a commemorative by Guns and Ammo mag back in the 70s or 80s. Came witr gold inlaid letter commemorating some battle and a glass, walnut case.Case was missing. Swapped the guy a Smith Mod 29 even for it. Heavy gun. Nice showpiece. Got it at a San Antonio, Tex show. After I traded it, several people asked about it at later shows. They had seen the guy swap it to me and wanted it. Too late. I was told the gun was suppose to have belonged to the Branch Davidians in Waco, Tex. Sounded like B.S. to me, but the dealers claimed they new the guy that swapped it to me. Anyway, it made for a good gunshow story.:D

3. SHOOTER13

PV wrote: "Notice ya have a Thompson SMG in your Sig Line. Ever have one?"

Yes sir...I do !

Pictured below is my "Thompson Commando" ...a semi-automatic replica of the M1927A1...made now by Auto Ordnance, a division of Kahr.

[​IMG]

The full auto M1928A1 variant entered mass production right before the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941. Changes included a horizontal forend, in place of the distinctive vertical foregrip ("pistol grip"), and a provision for a military sling. Despite new U.S. contracts for Lend-Lease shipments abroad to China, France, and the United Kingdom, as well as the needs of American armed forces, only two factories supplied M1928A1 Thompsons during the early years of World War II. Though it could use both the 50-round drum and the 20- or 30-round box magazines, active service showed the drums were more prone to jamming, rattled when moving, and were too heavy and bulky on long patrols. 562,511 were made. Wartime production variants had a fixed rear sight without the triangular sight guard wings and a non-ribbed barrel both like that found on the M1/M1A1.

In addition, the Soviet Union received M1928A1s, included as standard equipment with the M3 light tanks obtained through Lend-Lease. The weapons were never issued to the Red Army, however, because of a lack of .45 ACP ammunition on the Eastern Front, and were simply put in storage. As of September 2006, limited numbers of these weapons have been re-imported from Russia to the United States as disassembled "spare parts kits", the entire weapon less the receiver (as required by Federal law).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  4. Pancho_Villa

Oh yeah! That is a kick azz carbine.

5. SHOOTER13

Thanks PV...when I take it to the range, it draws a crowd every time !

6. Pancho_Villa

I was just looking on page 2 of all the threads that were started to post some more and I found the one with the Thompson way at the bottom. Just hadn't got to it yet.:D

7. Squelchtone

Squelchtone Member

So, as you can see I'm from Springfield MA, an area rich in firearms manufacturing history. I own Smith & Wesson pistols made in Springfield, I own a Dan Wesson revolver made in Monson MA, and until recently I had a K9 from Kahr out in Worcester (locally pronounced Wooo-stahhh) As most of you know and it was already mentioned Auto Ordinance and Kahr are the same company, and I support anything built locally.

On that note, I bought the 1911 when it came out a couple years ago, it was priced well, and MA compliant. I was very happy to own my first .45 and quickly learned how to field strip it and how all the parts work. I really liked the old WW2 look as well. The day finally came to go shooting, and I went to the Smith & Wesson indoor range in Springfield, inserted the magazine, shot 3 rounds and it started jamming up. I cleared it, shot once, and it jammed again. Not being a 1911 expert, I had the range gun smith look at it and he determined it was a broken extractor, the hook that pulls out the empty brass simply snapped off. Perhaps it wasn't made well, or heat treated or something, but it just snapped off. I had my local shop send it in for repairs, it came back, I shot it and the same part broke again almost immediately. I was starting to get a little mad, because I really wanted this gun to work and be good. I sent it back again and they reworked the slide and changed parts out, and then it came back and it looked really butchered like some guy had been hand filing the slide, so I asked my gun shop guy for a trade in and he let me trade it for a used Beretta 92FS. I don't know what he did with the 1911, maybe he sent it back for a dealer refund, but after that I swore off Auto Ordinance for a while. I have to say that I did enjoy my Kahr K9 with Hogue rubber grips with the K logo, but it was too heavy/chunky as an every day carry so I sold it and bought a Walther PPK/S made by Interarms in 1994 (based on my serial number research).

I would like to give an Auto Ord 1911 Parkerized another try, does anyone know if they have fixed up their quality control? Did I just have the bad luck of getting one of the only lemons, or guns made on a Friday at 3pm? I do remember mine had wood grips, and what I've seen online for sale are all plastic, I would like to get one again with wood checkered grips with the GI look.

I don't have many other 1911 options in Massachusetts, cant get a Springfield Armory, can't get Wilson Combat, can't get any Kimber, I CAN get some Para Ordinance models, I can also get the new Remington R1, or old WW2 Colts or Remingtons, but they cost $1000-$2000 depending on condition.

Nice Tommy gun Shooter13, looks like that would be fun at the range!
    Squelchtone

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  8. SHOOTER13

Squelchtone wrote: "I would like to give an Auto Ord 1911 Parkerized another try, does anyone know if they have fixed up their quality control ?"

Hey Squelchtone...Not sure what year you had troubles with the AO 1911...but as you now know, they are built by Kahr...and quality is as good as it gets now.

BTW...Yea, the Tommy Gun is a blast...and was a "bucket list" gun, just like my Colt SAA...so, I've crossed two off the list.

9. Squelchtone

Squelchtone Member

It was the year these came out, maybe 3 to 5 years ago.

10. SHOOTER13

Well... If you're still in the market...I would recommend their quality.