Anybody make their own Bersa?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Captain Jack, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Captain Jack

Captain Jack Member

After trying to order the primary components from Argentina directly, I've settled on merely buying the grapes, and supplying the rest from domestic sources.

Have any of you had better luck?:confused:

2. Captain Jack

Captain Jack Member

I've been utilizing the standard 6.5 bucket for my fermentation, but I've had to bulk order my Bersas, I've had soil sensitivity issues with this little black beauty.

Anyone had better luck with growing?

3. Captain Jack

Captain Jack Member

Careful. In the midwest, people mistakenly discard Bersas that they think have been ravaged by the soil conditions.

Truth is, these grapes have been affected by Botrytis cinerea.

4. BotaBag

BotaBag Member

I was just Googling my way around trying to find more about this up and coming Bersa grape and I saw this thread come up. This Bersa grape has an amazing complexity and character. It is personally my new favorite.

You know as they say ABC - Anything But Chardonnay

5. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Member

Uh guys, you do realize that the Argentine president is going to stop allowing export of the Bersa grape, right?...That's the main reason I had to move my vineyards to Argentina.

6. Captain Jack

Captain Jack Member

When the "noble rot" hits the Bersas, they shrivel, but the sugars concentrate like mad, eventually leaving you a bottle of the lovliest drop.;)

7. BotaBag

BotaBag Member

Does this affect the pedicel or the locules?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  8. Captain Jack

Captain Jack Member

Your forumla is fine, but the Bersa is genetically comfortable in rainforest-like conditions.

Agua, my friend.;)

9. Captain Jack

Captain Jack Member

I gotta tell ya, I'd like to "employ" the Argentinian President...

Attached Files:

10. BotaBag

BotaBag Member

WOW!!! Wolf Whistles!!! She could take care of my grapes anyday. No wonder I like this strain.

11. Captain Jack

Captain Jack Member

Pistillate flowers suffer a similar (in appearance only) affliction.

Let the fungus spread, it's rare enough on it's own, and your noble rot Bersa will be the hit of the party...

12. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Member

Aaah... The deadly beauty. She is beautiful, but the Argentine president takes her winemaking seriously. Her regulations have cut deeply into our profits. On the plus side, she has personally visited my vineyards and loves my strain of Bersa. I will not share my fertilizer secrets with you scallywags, but the Argentine climate produces much better yields than I got in Southern California.

13. Captain Jack

Captain Jack Member

Prudent. I think if Bersas take off in America, President Fernandez may rethink the upcoming ban...

14. Captain Jack

Captain Jack Member

I gotta tell ya, she does something to me...

In Vino Veritas....:eek:

15. BotaBag

BotaBag Member

Who would think that Botrytis cinerea in Latin meaning "Grapes like ashes" would affect this strain so delicately yet with bold implications.

16. Captain Jack

Captain Jack Member

Thanks for bringing this up.

So many people spend their time in soil analysis, and completely ignore altitude.

The altitude of your Bersa dtermines it's attitude.

17. Captain Jack

Captain Jack Member

Truer words never spoken. The dehydration makes a bold impact, the subtle little fungus makes some not so subtle nuances on the hearty Bersa.:cool:

18. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Member

Our altitude is Argentina is the same altitude we used in Southern California... On a side note, do any of you have pest problems with your Bersa strain? It seems the local wildlife like the Bersa as much as true wine connoisseurs!

19. Captain Jack

Captain Jack Member

Funny you say that.

I've had a fox visiting my vinyard, and hitting up my Bersas. Not alot, but it's an annoyance.

I think I need to learn about guns and deal with this critter.

Anybody know of a good gun forum?:confused:

20. Calico Rackham

Calico Rackham Member

So glad there are some others in pursuit of these darned things as well. The export taxes are ridiculous!:mad:

Has ANYONE found a trust that can handle whatever the hell the "International Agricultural Export and Import Agreement for a Private Citizen"?

A friend who has been in the winery business for decades gave me a sample of aged Bersa wine and I was immediately in love! The dry and sweetness just drapes across the palate like a lovely Beerenauslese without the headaches in the morning.