Bersa Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Discussion starter · #25 ·
Nice piece. I love my Howa rifles! Maybe I will get to shoot yours next year!:D

I was wondering if I had owned a 6.5 mm rifle before. Well, for sure not a creedmoor. However, the 6.5 is a .264 cal bore. So, yes I have. One was a 6.5 Carcano, actuallya few of those. They worked, but that was it. Not exactly the performance level of the current 6.5s.

A better one was a 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser. It was much moother in pperation and had much better accuracy. Probably more along the performance levels of modern rifles. Real easy shooting.

The other was a .260 Rem. in a Rem 700. It was o.k. Just kinda in between the .243 and 7-08. Got into the .260 and 7-08 in a model 70 around 2002, just to try somehing different. I was shooting 130 to140 gr bullets in both. Just kinda let the .260 go cause I had other rifles in .284 cal at the time.. It was a good cartridge. Not sure how it compares balisically with the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Shooting more .243 now than anything else, and not real well cause of my eyesight. Getting too blind to try newer stuff. But, maybe one will turn up at a gunshow at the right price or for the right swap.

Those are some nice rifes you guys have.

I looked /fondled that one too.

It's a beauty also,
But when he brought out the one above , 26" barrel, I melted.:D

Gotta scrape some bucks together....I just almost refuse to sell any of my babies,

Jim

Discussion starter · #30 ·
The long range comes in a 26" barrel also, I really like the Howa GRS setup with the berserk stock it's also a good looking rifle.

Attachments

I am a huge fan of the 6.5. Except for a 260 Remington all of mine have been missursp. 6.5x50SR, 6.5x52, and 6.5x55.

I recently built a 6.5 Grendel and have been thinking about the Howa 6.5 Grendel. Just waiting on Ruger. With the release of the 7.62x39 American Ranch, they are only a barrel away from one!

I wanted to build a long range rifle in 6.5 CM, but I talked myself out of it. I already have a 26" 280 Remington for my beanfield rifle and I really don't shoot it that much. Most of my shooting is within 300 gards. The Grendel is more than adequate. I went with a 308 scout rifle instead.

I really don't expect the 6.5 CM to maintain it's following. I don't think it's going away anytime soon. It crawled along for a half dozen years then spiked in popularity. Recently it's been on a down hill slide though. It's thunder is being stolen in PRS matches by the 6mm. The long 105 grain 6mm matches the BC of the 6.5 bullets and it's easier recoil equals faster times. The manufacturers are already following suite. Anyone who chambers for the 6.5 also chambers for the 6mm.

The 6.5 CM though, IMHO, is a better medium to large game rifle though. Plus the overbore 6mm's are known barrel burners.

The 260 wasn’t advertised well by Remington hence the Creedmoor boom. The Carcano has been much maligned but is actually a great round when loaded with the right bullet. It needs a 268 bullet-not a 264. I know because I reload them. I have two Carcano’s and they’re actually pretty accurate up to 300 yards.

71magna:

I have seen a few of the Carcano rifles out there in the Mil Surp areas of gun shops but did not know much about them.
Italian if I recall correctly?
Any more about them that you can share?
We have a Hi Point historian on the forum so you will have to be our forum Carcano historian!
Thanks for the info!

God bless!!

Michael

Haha-not much of a historian on the Carcano but I have some info to share anytime! It was introduced in the late 19th century and is a pretty good rifle despite the returning GI’s opinion if it. (Compared against the Garand are unfair-that was the supreme WW2 rifle with the powerhouse 30-06 round.)
I reload Prvi cases (6.5mm) with a 268 spritzer bullet (usually Hornady or Barnes) and in 120 or 140 grain with H4831 powder. Real flat trajectory in my Model 91 +\-1’ 300 yards. My range doesn’t have a farther area.
I use round nose for deer hunting in 120 grain but never shoot anything past 100 yards. And I only do that for doe season since I have iron sights for it. I use my 700 Remington (260) for buck in Perry County, PA!
I love my Carcano’s! I plan on another this spring. Mild recoil with a good solid bolt action. Many Italian factories were enlisted to make it and they improved the 6.5 to 7.35 later on but the war already started so they didn’t make many of those. I hear it was more accurate so I’m keeping my eyes out on it.

One further note, both of mine are shorter than the originals. One is the traditional 91 short by Terni Arms and my 91/38 carbine was stamped by Beretta (authenticated by expert). I love the carbine-as light as a 30 carbine but far more powerful yet it is also a bolt action

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.