Bersa Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Special Agent
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have often wondered "why" that the .380 ammo, any brand in comparison, is more expensive than the same brand name in 9mm? The 9mm is same bullet but usually more lead (weight) the 9mm has a little longer case, more powder and the only common denominator for mfg. costs would be the primer. I do believe that both the 9mm and .380 use the same size/grade of primer. All else should make the 9mm more expensive due to costs of materials... yet this is not so.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
I always wondered the same thing. The only thing I could think of is there is more of a demand for 380.
Years ago I was told that it was because of less demand and the 9mm lines had to be shut down to do a run of 380. At least out here, even when supplies were at decent levels, there was always far more 9mm on the shelves.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It must be nice to even get ammunition. We still have the seniors hoarding buying everything up at our local stores in San Antonio. This is Texas's equivalent to mall walkers.

·
Special Agent
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Local Walmart in South Haven has 9mm in Federal for $14.77 per box of 50 So when I see some in there, I buy a box and bring home. Just the generic 115 gr FMJ stuff, but it works well. Have seen some .380 as well, but a lot harder to find. Maybe too many smaller pocket pistols and such out there. One has to consider that if a person is using a .380 for a CPL license and they require x number of rounds to be fired at the range to qualify, you are getting both women and men buying the stuff to have for that end. Personally I think the women that shoot .380 is a larger percentage, compared to men that shoot .380. And with men I think it may be the opposite...just guessing of course.

·
Registered
180 Posts
There is no surplus .380 but there is surplus 9mm.
Ammo manufacturers try to drop their prices a little on the 9mm to get their ammo to sell compared to the surplus price. The .380 is just high priced because there is no low priced competition.
I have started reloading my .380 but I have found the .380 95 gr. bullets cost more than the 9mm 115 gr. a lot more. :eek:
They are the same diameter bullets.
Every now & then I can find some hollow point 9mm 95 gr. I buy all I can then.
The hard thing to find is reloadable .380 brass.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Supply and demand. I know this sounds crazy in this time of "ammo shortage" but the 9mm is the most popular/used pistol round in the world.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think it's because there is less .380 ammo available (lines running 9mm and others most of the time) and a growing demand for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts